Lever Action Rifles

Doc McGlock

There's no school like Savage 99 old school.

I fell in love with the 99 the first time I saw one -- on the cover of a circa 1975 issue of American Rifleman. 

I finally got my 99 in the early 1980s when I was in college. Worked for months to pay that gun off. 

A 1936-vintage 99 EG in .300 Savage.

I recently purchased my fav of fav's, 357 Lever action takedown, built by Chiappa, imported by Taylors. It is so freaking nice I will just use my Rossi as a canoe paddle from now on. The Rossi isn't even in the same league as the Taylors rifle. The finish is a hard , satin chrome and the furniture is an overmolded soft rubber finish.

I recently saw a roughly hundred year old Marlin takedown rifle that used the same method as the Taylors ; proving the method of takedown is tried and true. Im hooked...

920.311.jpged

• Like 1

Well my order came in yesterday,  I stacked it and took my Buckmark .22 and the new Uberti to our new range. 

I shot a couple hundred. .22 then a bunch on the 1873.  What a nice rifle to shoot! 

Shot 2 boxes of .38 and .357, each!  The  PPU ammo was great!  Thanks for concurring on it.   

Edited by Doc McGlock
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 8:00 AM, Truenorth said:

I recently purchased my fav of fav's, 357 Lever action takedown, built by Chiappa, imported by Taylors. It is so freaking nice I will just use my Rossi as a canoe paddle from now on. The Rossi isn't even in the same league as the Taylors rifle. The finish is a hard , satin chrome and the furniture is an overmolded soft rubber finish.

I recently saw a roughly hundred year old Marlin takedown rifle that used the same method as the Taylors ; proving the method of takedown is tried and true. Im hooked...

920.311.jpged

........ but, but, but........ it's broken? :)

On 9/20/2017 at 2:10 AM, Danoobie said:

Seek a Marlin 336C.  Gate loading, scope ready, .357, R-R-R!  

You can find a nice 357 wheel gun, and hunt, keeping a couple

ratshot in the pistol, for snakes.

Da,

While I understand the need for hunters to control the populations of certain species, I just can't bring myself to shoot something just "because!"  ......... especially since an HEB is just a couple of walking blocks away!  I wish I were located, however a little closer to open forests................... I might feel a little differently.   No judgement!  When I was a young teenager, I was at a friends house and we were shooting his daisy BB rifle.  I shot at a robin way up in the tree and to my total surprise, it plummeted to the ground, leaving it's young behind!  I was mortified and to this day, still remember this 50 years later!

My backyard has a lot of critters patrolling it, snakes, possums, raccoons, skunks, deer, coyotes and even a red fox!  I just don't let my puppy run unattended out back!

After purchasing my GP100, I decided on .357/.38 platform matching for my lever action and is only used for plinking and backup home defense, but the more I shoot my new Uberti, the more I like the idea of having one handy, maybe several spread around!

On 8/29/2017 at 11:38 AM, KBKEITH said:

One more for you. I also have a Henry Big Boy carbine chambered in .357. It's also a nice rifle that shoots well. I have the octagon barrel with the brass receiver. The only thing I don't like is the tube magazine. I prefer a loading gate like the Uberti has. I paid in the $600 range for the Henry.

Do they feed .38 reliably, or do you really need to stick to the .357?

1 hour ago, Someday said:

Do they feed .38 reliably, or do you really need to stick to the .357?

That’s a great question. I have only put .357 through it so far. I think it states somewhere in the owners manual that if using .38 Special you should stick to 158 grain loads.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My dad brought out his old Marlin lever in .44 Magnum and I was surprised at how harsh the recoil was; was not expecting that from a pistol round in a rifle.

I sold my Marlin 1894C a few years ago when older Marlin prices skyrocketed.  I paid $400 for it and some guy wanting to do cowboy action shooting offered me $1000.  Really miss that rifle; it was a lot of fun.

On 9/26/2017 at 6:55 PM, Danoobie said:

Well, I guess you don't have the venomous snakes we have here

around your way, doc.

Actually, there are many around here.   I didn't mean to sound  like i was judging!  I live very near railroad tracks with a fair amount of undeveloped land around the tracks.  There is a quite large Ferrell population of cats as well as many other snake seeking predators that keeps them at bay! 

I hate snakes!  If it's between me or the snake,  ....... i can always use an extra pair of boots!  :-)