Art Deco

DrB

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

I think it would be fun to tinker around with old tube radios. 

Yep, have done that. Still have my tube testers and other test equipment here.  The big old radios with the shortwave bands are way cool.  Have not seen one of the those in years.  The last one I worked on used some of the old "Coke Bottle"  tubes.. Thing could heat your house.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, DrB said:

Yep, have done that. Still have my tube testers and other test equipment here.  The big old radios with the shortwave bands are way cool.  Have not seen one of the those in years.  The last one I worked on used some of the old "Coke Bottle"  tubes.. Thing could heat your house.

Dave..

The state of the art in shortwave long ago was the Zenith Transoceanic.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Oceanic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrB said:

Now that is a nice radio...  I wonder what tubes it used...

Dave

It looks to me to be a Sonora TW-49, built around 1939-40 - a more-or-less standard pre-war octal base All American Five design.  35Z5GT rectifier, 35L6GT audio output, 12A8GT converter, 12K7GT IF amplifier and 12Q7GT detector/1st audio amp.

Nothing terribly fancy circuit-wise, but that is a damned fine looking table radio!  I may have to look for one of those!

-Pat

• Like 1