Art Deco

DrB

• Administrators
21 hours ago, janice6 said:

I can't believe the price you would have to pay just for the raw burl without any work put into it.

In order to be able to make something like that inexpensively enough to stand a chance of selling it today, you’d have to use veneer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many of these ultra high quality furniture pieces are works of art and rather than being used, they reside in museums and priceless collections.  Woodworkers of this caliber compete against each other for them most complex piece of artistry.

These are examples of the highest caliber of wood work the premier artisans are capable of.  It's like a Picasso Painting valued for it's uniqueness and skill, instead of it's potential for utilitarian purposes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

In order to be able to make something like that inexpensively enough to stand a chance of selling it today, you’d have to use veneer. 

Oh, of course you use veneer.  The only way you can get such close matching of the grain is with extremely fine slices very close to each other, to minimize the gran variations between layers/sheets.

Handling veneers that thin is almost an art in itself.  I have done very little veneer work and certainly not of that caliber, but the skill is in the near impossible to see joints.  It's really tight!

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Oh, of course you use veneer.  The only way you can get such close matching of the grain is with extremely fine slices very close to each other, to minimize the gran variations between layers/sheets.

Handling veneers that thin is almost an art in itself.  I have done very little veneer work and certainly not of that caliber, but the skill is in the near impossible to see joints.  It's really tight!

I’ve worked with veneered plywood before, making some cabinets. The end grain of the veneer was very fragile. It took me a while to get the hang of cutting it without splintering. High-end plywood like that was nice to work with though and the results were beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

Ya know, just looking at all the fancy furniture, one would have to give much credit to the movers for not getting scratches on any of the pieces. ?

There were probably woodworkers standing there with intricately carved ball bats, while they moved them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

Ya know, just looking at all the fancy furniture, one would have to give much credit to the movers for not getting scratches on any of the pieces. ?

I imagine that the insurance on them made the insurance company a significant player in the process of moving.  To a great extent, most of those are priceless.

• Like 1