Cider Mills

M&P15T

It's fall. The temperature lowers, the leaves start to change colors, College Football on Saturdays and the Detroit Lions losing on Sundays. There's the smell of fallen leaves in the air, and a desire to get out and hike in nature.

Except here in NoVa. It's still 85 degrees and 187% humidity.

Anyways, I decided to look on Google maps for a Cider mill. You know, a place out in the country where they make fresh doughnuts and apple cider, right there in front of you. I figured if I got far enough west of this ****-hole, I'd find one. I imagined a beautiful Sunday morning drive out into the country, and some fresh doughnuts and cider from a serene place in the woods/country.

Nope. Went 50 miles out, nothing. God I ******* hate this place. Back in Michigan they were everywhere, and there isn't one damned cider mill I can find in this entire God-foresaken place. I guess Virginia isn't an apple growing region, so it sort of makes sense.

So, do ya'll have a Cider Mill you get to in the fall?

This is where I used to go to;

dsc09362.jpg

cider-mills-in-michigan.jpg

Edited by M&P15T
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ARP said:

Yer doing it wrong. Virginia is the #6 producer of apples, so they are out there. If you search Apple cider mills in Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia, you will get some hits.

If your Googlefu is better than mine, please let me know. All I found were cider-wineries.

2 hours ago, M&P15T said:

It's fall. The temperature lowers, the leaves start to change colors, College Football on Saturdays and the Detroit Lions losing on Sundays. There's the smell of fallen leaves in the air, and a desire to get out and hike in nature.

Except here in NoVa. It's still 85 degrees and 187% humidity.

Anyways, I decided to look on Google maps for a Cider mill. You know, a place out in the country where they make fresh doughnuts and apple cider, right there in front of you. I figured if I got far enough west of this ****-hole, I'd find one. I imagined a beautiful Sunday morning drive out into the country, and some fresh doughnuts and cider from a serene place in the woods/country.

Nope. Went 50 miles out, nothing. God I ****ing hate this place. Back in Michigan they were everywhere, and there isn't one damned cider mill I can find in this entire God-foresaken place. I guess Virginia isn't an apple growing region, so it sort of makes sense.

So, do ya'll have a Cider Mill you get to in the fall?

This is where I used to go to;

dsc09362.jpg

cider-mills-in-michigan.jpg

I grew up about 2 miles from the Franklin Cider Mill.  Absolutely love that place.  

• Thanks 1

Our tiny town has always had an AppleFest.  The guy that built our house was an apple farmer,  he had fields all around us.  Many trees are still scattered about,  the deer and bear love them.

Many cider mills still around.  Some of them still have the human-powered screws.

I love the stuff.  One guy around here also makes cherry cider.

There is one about 45 minutes drive away that I will stop at if I am in the neighborhood.  A couple miles down the road is a smokehouse with some very tasty meats and cheeses too.

Otherwise we just bring out our manual cider mill and have a small party to press the apples.  Cider made from multiple types of apples is really yummy.  Not sure what we ended up with last year, but year before we had 35 gallons of cider that we put in the freezer, and haven't even used it all up yet.

"or they don't do the "cider and doughnut" thing"

My grandfather and his two brothers farmed 1500 apple trees in the mountains near Covesville and North Garden. My great great grandfather started the orchard after the Civil War and my aunt and uncle still live very near the Albemarle Cider Works.

Cider and doughnuts? Never heard of such a thing and I've been around apples since the '50s. Learn something new everyday.

17 hours ago, Mike said:

I've been to the Franklin Cider Mill numerous times. I live in the downriver area and we usually go to Apple Charlies in New Boston, mainly because it is closer.

At WSU way back when, those from the area used to tell the rest of us "don't mess with Down River". Good times.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnbt said:

"or they don't do the "cider and doughnut" thing"

My grandfather and his two brothers farmed 1500 apple trees in the mountains near Covesville and North Garden. My great great grandfather started the orchard after the Civil War and my aunt and uncle still live very near the Albemarle Cider Works.

Cider and doughnuts? Never heard of such a thing and I've been around apples since the '50s. Learn something new everyday.

Well, it appears to be a Michigan thing. Freshly made cider and seriously freshly made (still hot) doughnuts with sugar and cinnamon on them.

Dee.

Lish.

Us.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OGW said:

I can understand missing Michigan.  I can't understand missing Detroit.  Where I live, we grow da apples, by the ton.

S.W. Michigan is just a place to work and live. The rest of the state is great.....unless you don't like winter.

• Like 1