• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pipedreams

• ChuteTheMall

• Swampfox762

• Schmidt Meister

17 hours ago, railfancwb said:

There are some cemeteries which provide equivalent body disposal. No embalming or other chemicals. Wrap body in a shroud of natural material - 100% cotton or wool for example. An unlined hole in the ground. Usually the cemetery is in a lush area with generous rainfall. In due course plant tree on grave. 

I think most folks, including me, would like that, and many think that's what happens with burials today. The thought of not-rotting for hundreds of years in a cemetery is counter to my preferences. Any cemetery we build is probably going to be repurposed before bodies will decompose, especially if they're treated with preservatives and sealed in a metal box. So I'll go with cremation.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Yeah, I've read several articles about those. They actually have one in Jacksonville, FL. They 'plant' you and a tree variety of your choice and they place a tag with a number on the tree so 'you' can be located later if someone wants to picnic under your tree, lol.

This was what happened for quite a while before embalming. Bodies rotted and became the soil that fed the Life that grew nearby and the molecules sing Kumbaya. The Circle of Life is complete and that's fine with me. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

This was what happened for quite a while before embalming. Bodies rotted and became the soil that fed the Life that grew nearby and the molecules sing Kumbaya. The Circle of Life is complete and that's fine with me. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

You are correct, but now they want to make it mandatory and you are composted before you even hit the ground. I don't care what happens to this body after I'm through with it and my wife and I have both opted for cremation. But if I rotted in the forest, it wouldn't make any difference to me. At one time I had thought about donating my body to one of those 'Body Farms'. They had one here in FL for years and closed it down and several years ago they opened another one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinakillgrove/2017/02/28/new-body-farm-opens-in-florida-becomes-7th-in-u-s/?sh=132393d92864

• Like 2