Foxes

DrB

Yes the 4 legged animals.  I have a red fox that walks the top of the ridge here early in the morning and in evening traces back.  If I am in right place, time I watch.  Beautiful animal.  Have had Silver Fox here also but rare.  Anyone else here have?  Had a den here years ago.  Could tell by the smell........

Dave.. 

yep back in the start of TBS   i had fox and kits under our house  lol , i had to go under and use a gator bite  on water line and other stuff,  the cubby hole  i crawl thru   and i was like right on top of them ,  mom did nothing ,  they all grew up and left  very cool , we have lots here on our animal forest . 100 acres  and creek   and no hunting  ,  ive caught alot of cool pics  over the years ,   you can here them bark all the time on back porch

Edited by ASH

I was walking my dog in the woods when a rabbit jumped out of the bushes in front of us and ran right past us.  My dog jerked his head around to look at the rabbit, then jerked his head back ahead to find himself nose to nose with the fox that had been chasing the rabbit.  Both froze for a second, then both immediately turned around and ran in opposite directions, my dog dragging me along with him.

I like foxes.  Never had the urge to eradicate them like coyotes.  

But when they get rabies, they aren't so cute...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27558655/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/jogger-runs-mile-rabid-fox-her-arm/

APTRANS.gif
updated 11/5/2008 3:22:43 PM ET

PRESCOTT, Ariz. — Authorities in Arizona say a jogger attacked by a rabid fox ran a mile with the animal's jaws clamped on her arm and then drove herself to a hospital.

The Yavapai County sheriff's office said the woman told deputies she was on a trail near Prescott on Monday when the fox attacked and bit her foot.

She said she grabbed the fox by the neck when it went for her leg but it bit her arm.

The woman wanted the animal tested for rabies so she ran a mile to her car with the fox still biting her arm, then pried it off and tossed it in her trunk and drove to the Prescott hospital.

The sheriff's office says the fox later bit an animal control officer. He and the woman are both receiving rabies vaccinations.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

3 hours ago, DrB said:

Yes the 4 legged animals.  I have a red fox that walks the top of the ridge here early in the morning and in evening traces back.  If I am in right place, time I watch.  Beautiful animal.  Have had Silver Fox here also but rare.  Anyone else here have?  Had a den here years ago.  Could tell by the smell........

Dave.. 

Have seen a red fox crossing one of our pastures on several occasions and a few years back a den just outside the same pasture fence in a timber. 

We used to have them everywhere, and when we baled hay when I was a kid, we would see them jump and play around the wind rows as we baled.  I really like watching the little guys, and it's rumored that the coyotes here drove them out.

Dave.. 

Occasionally a fox will play with my dachshund in the evenings. The dachshund isn’t playing, but the fox is.

The fox will prance around and the dog will bark and chase it into the woods. When the dog gives up and trots back toward the house, the fox will pop back out and do it again.

At first I thought the fox wanted to kill the little dog, but he would always run away when the dog gave chase.

I googled it and sure enough, fox play with dogs.
  • Like 1

I ocassionally get to see one cruising around my place.  Extra special is sometimes it crosses the frozen lake in the winter.  The red fur really stnds out against the white snow.  Here's a pic I got on my game camera set up where i had left a few perch after filleting them.

Zorro.JPG

There is a den in a culvert about a mile down the road from our house. There have been babies every year for about the last five or so years. The babies are damn cute. We always worry about one of them getting hit by a car since they are so close to road but we haven’t seen it happen yet. 

Love foxes... ?

I recall reading a CDC report which stated that there's apparently a correlation between the sizes of fox populations in an area versus reduced instances of Lyme Disease. The connection seems to be that mice are one of a fox's main foods, and mice are the main transmission medium for ticks -- so more foxes = fewer mice & fewer ticks. ?

We frequently have foxes den in our immediate wetlands. One day, we heard tremendous thumping noises from our bottom deck. Turns out a family of kits were playing in our back and side yards, and on our back deck. ? They were cute little things, and I was hoping they'd all grow up to be voracious mouse-eaters.

Sorry for the crap quality of the photos -- they were taken hurriedly with a cell phone through the window screen... 

fox1.thumb.jpg.fa8d9b38625aae708b072512725847f1.jpgfox2.thumb.jpg.8fd8334376d3803d5f2d140a9c4fc017.jpgfox3.thumb.jpg.a36d77e37751f597a44e3e2ac55841a0.jpgfox4.thumb.jpg.93d898d1dbf22733eb1da41f80bbeddf.jpg

We occasionally will have a red fox in our neighborhood. Beautiful animals. They are much less skittish than coyotes, and will let you get a nice long look at them. I think they hang around to work on our plentiful quail population.

We had a den under a shed at the back of our lawn in 2015. There were 7 kits and evenings we would sit out on our back deck and watch them play. One night there was a terrible racket back there with a bunch of growling and snarling. The foxes were gone the next day and for a week after. They returned but there were only 5 kits. I think a coyote got to them. Here's a few not-so-great photos:

2015FoxA.JPG.70d083606f2a233d804b9533a07b7599.JPG2015FoxB.JPG.e382dec04799cc87ee4356656eee1ec2.JPG2015FoxE.JPG.247c683371bc2cab577b713e37bb7f55.JPG2015FoxC.JPG.21d7005b5cc6c246b7b92bb2ed5b9d37.JPG