Random Posting

Eric

42 minutes ago, DrB said:

So were his stores.  As a teenager we drove from Ohio to his Detroit Tape store for a look see.  Greeted by pretty young women in short skirts, fishnet stockings and high heel shoes.  Sexy talking to us teenage boys  I got a tape player installed in the Mustang and we bought tons of tapes....  We ran out of money...  They did know how to sell.  Was a fun day for a teen boy...

Dave..

Muntz2.jpg

• Like 3

It was founded in 1937 by Hyman Shapiro and his sons, Sam and Howard, as Jitterbug Records in downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The store specialized in used 78 RPM records from jukeboxes. After opening two more stores, the chain became known as National Record Mart by 1941. Hyman's third son, Jason, later became involved in the family business as well.[1] National Record Mart operated 20 Pittsburgh-area stores in the 1960s, at which point the chain began locating in regional shopping malls, including South Hills Village and Northway Mall (now The Shoppes at Northway).

(wiki)

• Like 4

KDKA was the first.

In 1920, Westinghouse, one of the leading radio manufacturers, had an idea for selling more radios: It would offer programming. Radio began as a one-to-one method of communication, so this was a novel idea. Dr. Frank Conrad was a Pittsburgh area ham operator with lots of connections. He frequently played records over the airwaves for the benefit of his friends. This was just the sort of thing Westinghouse had in mind, and it asked Conrad to help set up a regularly transmitting station in Pittsburgh. On November 2, 1920, station KDKA made the nation's first commercial broadcast (a term coined by Conrad himself). They chose that date because it was election day, and the power of radio was proven when people could hear the results of the Harding-Cox presidential race before they read about it in the newspaper.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/dt20ra.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CATV wasn't "cable tv" it was "community access" tv and, arguably, started in Pittsburgh when some guys at the top of a hill hooked up a spool of wire to their antenna, and rolled it all the down into the valley,  so their neighbor's antennas could get it also.

They did it to be nice.  For a while.  Then they started to charge for it.

• Like 2

WDVE is  the oldest "continuously operating" (WMMS?) FM R&R stations.

(all wiki:)

"The station has aired rock music since 1969, when it was owned by ABC. Previously, it was known as KQV-FM and simulcasted then-sister station KQV. "

" Starting in the 1980s, the station started playing the Beat Farmers song Happy Boy every Friday around 3 p.m. at the start of the afternoon drive time shift to signal the end of the work week and the start of the weekend. On Fridays at noon, they air a recording of the band KISS saying; "Hey yinz guys! It's FRIDAY!!", immediately followed by "Rock and Roll All Nite". "

" , promoting itself with such oddities as a young Jaromir Jagr reading the morning weather forecast in heavily accented English during his suspension from the NHL. "

• Like 1

I was a Ham Radio Operator at an early age.  The local Hams and their club meant I joined a group with a common interest ranging in age from grade school to old and infirmed.  But everyone had the same interest so it meant we were a fraternity.

One of the older Hams in town was also the station engineer for the local AM/FM radio station, KFAM.  One evening I got a phone call asking if I could come to the station transmitter and give them some grunt help.  Of course, I did.  It turns out that the guy held the first licensed radio transmitter west of the Mississippi.  His original call was 9SV.  He was a good friend.

It turns out that a storm had caused some problems and the FM transmitter had arced over the Final Amplifier Tuning Capacitor, and now it wouldn't stop arcing.  So the transmitter was off the air.  The fact that it was a commercial station wasn't important, the fact that a friend asked for help was.

So a bunch of us, maybe 4 or 5, took the tuning Capacitor apart,  it had a **** load of plates.  We disassembled it and started sanding and polishing the rough surface cause by the arching.  It took us till about 3 AM, but we got the station back on the air and had a good time.  I was tired at school that day, but the fun I had with those guys offset it.

I often think of that group of people that shared my childhood and formed my technical goals.  They were good people of all trades and ages, but mostly they were like family.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I often think of that group of people that shared my childhood and formed my technical goals.  They were good people of all trades and ages, but mostly they were like family.

I still go to places, in Cornfield, USA, where there is nothing for twenty-miles...

But a 100' x 100' cinderblock building and a 400' tower,  with a blinking red light on top.

The call letters are written on the side of the building.

Might be Jesus.  Might be R&R.  Probably a mix.

And the farm report at 4am.

I've heard ones where they go, "OH!  Mary Smith went into General last night.  She's in room 202.  She's doing ok.  Stop in and wish her well."

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I was a Ham Radio Operator at an early age.

Me and my best friend learned morse code (radio shack ****).

And we weren't gay,  because we didn't have cell-phones back then.

He lived across the street, and two houses up.

So we took spools of wire (radio shack) and snaked them down his bedroom window (rain gutters), over several nights,  through his yard, (with this slicer-farm-thing). through the neighbor's yards,  through the cracks in the asphalt street,  down the storm drain,  up into my yard,  up the gutters.

The beep-beep-beep quality was excellent

And so, then, we could  totally not understand each other for several weeks, until we quit it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic