Random Posting

Eric

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

I'm familiar with AOW but didn't realize that would qualify.  I'm guessing it contains a single shot, guess that's what could get someone in trouble like me.? 

Yep. If the gun can be fired while it is housed in the concealing device, like that wallet rig, the concealing device is Class III. The same rule of course applies to cane guns, tomahawk guns, etc. Anything that doesn't look like a gun when it shoots you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yep. If the gun can be fired while it is housed in the concealing device, like that wallet rig, the concealing device is Class III. The same rule of course applies to cane guns, tomahawk guns, etc. Anything that doesn't look like a gun when it shoots you.

I see discussions about pistols with shoulder stocks and lot of discussion about SBR or AOW and never really understood the AOW thing.  Thanks, AOW's not something that I'm really interested in.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

I see discussions about pistols with shoulder stocks and lot of discussion about SBR or AOW and never really understood the AOW thing.  Thanks, AOW's not something that I'm really interested in.

Oh, that is only a small part of what falls into the AOW category. The NFA laws are complex, sometimes conflicting and often vague as hell. There is enough grey area for people to get royally screwed, unless they are very careful. The only way to know for sure about how the laws apply in a given instance, is to contact the ATF in writing, to ask for clarification.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Eric said:

Oh, that is only a small part of what falls into the AOW category. The NFA laws are complex, sometimes conflicting and often vague as hell. There is enough grey area for people to get royally screwed, unless they are very careful. The only way to know for sure about how the laws apply in a given instance, is to contact the ATF in writing, to ask for clarification.

As usual, lawyers use convoluted grammar to be able to change the interpretation as "needed".

I once complained to the company Patent Attorney of the conflicting and confusing wording in my Patents.  They even had a paragraph that was one and a half pages long!

He said it was so they could more easily argue in favor of the patent when challenged, if some of it were ambiguous and they could define parts differently depending on the argument.  Many politicians are lawyers and it shows when they redefine written laws.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Eric said:

That right there is an Any Other Weapon (AOW) device. It doesn't seem like it would be worth it to get the tax stamp for something like that.

I was told that a Serbu Super-Shorty was an NFA gun and the stamp for the AOW category was $5.00 if you get it as a transfer, meaning you didn't build it and form 4 it yourself a few years ago. Is that true with this wallet contraption? I would be interested in it just for a mantle talking piece if its $5.00 extra (plus the 8 to 12 month wait).

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mike said:

I was told that a Serbu Super-Shorty was an NFA gun and the stamp for the AOW category was $5.00 if you get it as a transfer, meaning you didn't build it and form 4 it yourself a few years ago. Is that true with this wallet contraption? I would be interested in it just for a mantle talking piece if its $5.00 extra (plus the 8 to 12 month wait).

I’m not sure how much the stamp is. I’d contact a Class III for accurate, up-to-date info. I do like that Surbu Super-Shorty as well. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic