Random Posting

Eric

2 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

lol.  Those, too.

(And because I was the next guy going up,  they made me pull up ~80lbs of these 12" wide x 10' long oil-absorbent environmental things,  to stuff into every imaginable space, gap  or crack where something might fall through.

I appreciate their quick solution to a safety concern,  but damn,  make the guy that dropped the drill climb back up and pull it all up!)

(the consequences of the rope slipping and me dropping 80lbs of punching-bags was probably much more dangerous than me dropping a screwdriver (i don't use drills up there))

Which explains why a vast majority of my hand tools are fitted with lanyards. Although, truth be known, it's more out of laziness on my part than heights. Work smarter than harder a wise man once said. Climb a ladder as few times as.possible said a wiser man.

• Thanks 1

You learn very early, in this job, to have all the tools you need.

If you have to climb down and back up (my record is 400') for an allen wrench,  you'll never forget it again.

(I went to one job,  and they asked about the last guy that was there. (he was a noob and didn't last long)  They said they felt really bad for him because he had to climb down and up, six or seven times,  and it took him six hours to do an 1.5hour job.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, janice6 said:

So.  Here's the "scoop" on waist band sizes:     (I KNEW IT!!!!)

I wonder if those are "pre-wash" measurements and the manufacturers take shrinkage into account.

Or it's just more marketing,  "Look, Hon!  Still the same size as college."

(I wear a 30" waist since my last ordeal.  The weight just won't come back,  I've tried.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I wonder if those are "pre-wash" measurements and the manufacturers take shrinkage into account.

Or it's just more marketing,  "Look, Hon!  Still the same size as college."

(I wear a 30" waist since my last ordeal.  The weight just won't come back,  I've tried.)

The article says that the manufacturers are calling it "vanity sizing".  So my guess is, that it's as you buy it.  Shrinkage occurs, as we all have experienced, but that probably is not considered.  I would say that they sell oversize to make buyers think that they are still buying clothes that fit them when they were younger.  This the "vanity" claim.  Besides, if the waist shrinks up to 2" from the first few washings, that's a product problem.  How they cut the material changes the amount it will shrink.

I have been measuring and I find that different manufacturers are using different "rise" measurements also.  The rise makes the pants ride lower or higher in the waist.  With a gun weight, a low rise can make the gun drag down, since your belt isn't able to grab your hips properly and now  you are constantly having to "hitch up" your pants during the day.

These measurements are important to me, since I carry full size pistols and my old jeans are shrinking with age.  Now I begin to see the weight of the gun that wasn't there when the pants were newer.  When I was skinny, it wasn't much interest to me I had hips that were easy to find.  Now that I'm older, these things take away from the ease of carrying.  I can't stand to have my pants hanging off my hips.   I'm not into the ghetto thug look.  I'm more interested in consistent position of my firearm and the ease of drawing it.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic