Random Posting

Eric

So today was a good/not good day.

Yesterday I was sick with something, not sure what still.  Fever, chills, dizziness, and later in the afternoon/evening, sore throat.  Barely slept at all.

I had plans for today, only made it through the first half of them before I decided the fact that my throat hurt so bad that I could barely talk and eating was almost completely beyond me prompted me to cancel the rest of the day's plans and hit urgent care.

Urgent care said because I'm on the Veteran's Choice program, they can't treat me under insurance without first getting authorization, so they sent me down the hallway to the ER.  Small center, so maybe 50 meters from one end to the other.  ER saw me within 5 minutes of getting there.

They did a test, it's not strep throat, didn't get an actual diagnosis, but the doc said something about a lesion thing on the side of my throat, prescribed me antibiotics (same ones I was on 2 months ago for a sinus infection) and some type of steroid for the inflammation, told me which hospital has an ENT (ears, nose, throat) doctor on duty if it doesn't get better in a few days, or gets worse.

So saturday 4pm closest pharmacy that's open is 40 minutes drive to it, then 20 minutes home.  I'm still kind of messed up and dizzy at that point, so I went home, and waited to get a ride from my mother (there are advantages to living next door to family)

The plans I missed out on was hanging out with a friend that was doing a party/movie night at his shop.  I don't get a lot of social activity because of where I live and how little there seems to be to do in the general vicinity for someone who doesn't drink or carouse, so I was looking forward to it.  He said he'll do it again in the near future, so not like it was a one time thing.

The plans that I refused to miss was hanging out with a small group of guys doing maintenance on their surplus military vehicles that they own.  Had 1 5-ton troop carrier truck, 3 deuce and a halfs, one of which was a wrecker, one M1123 HMMWV that belongs to a navy man on active duty, and 2 jeeps, one an M151 (vietnam era jeep) and one Ford GPW built in 1945.  Highlight of the day was getting to drive the WWII jeep (Ford GPW).  According to the owner it's about 80% original, he did a lot of restoration on it, and could tell me the ownership history to when it was surplussed out from the local military base. Was a very nice piece of history, but I don't think I'd want to own one.

The worst part was probably finding out I had a 103.1 fever, while at the same time on the verge of shivering because I felt so cold.  Being sick sucks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

28 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Yesterday I was sick with something, not sure what still.  Fever, chills, dizziness, and later in the afternoon/evening, sore throat.  Barely slept at all.

I had plans for today, only made it through the first half of them before I decided the fact that my throat hurt so bad that I could barely talk and eating was almost completely beyond me prompted me to cancel the rest of the day's plans and hit urgent care.

Urgent care said because I'm on the Veteran's Choice program, they can't treat me under insurance without first getting authorization, so they sent me down the hallway to the ER.  Small center, so maybe 50 meters from one end to the other.  ER saw me within 5 minutes of getting there.

They did a test, it's not strep throat, didn't get an actual diagnosis, but the doc said something about a lesion thing on the side of my throat, prescribed me antibiotics (same ones I was on 2 months ago for a sinus infection) and some type of steroid for the inflammation, told me which hospital has an ENT (ears, nose, throat) doctor on duty if it doesn't get better in a few days, or gets worse.

So saturday 4pm closest pharmacy that's open is 40 minutes drive to it, then 20 minutes home.  I'm still kind of messed up and dizzy at that point, so I went home, and waited to get a ride from my mother (there are advantages to living next door to family)

The plans I missed out on was hanging out with a friend that was doing a party/movie night at his shop.  I don't get a lot of social activity because of where I live and how little there seems to be to do in the general vicinity for someone who doesn't drink or carouse, so I was looking forward to it.  He said he'll do it again in the near future, so not like it was a one time thing.

The plans that I refused to miss was hanging out with a small group of guys doing maintenance on their surplus military vehicles that they own.  Had 1 5-ton troop carrier truck, 3 deuce and a halfs, one of which was a wrecker, one M1123 HMMWV that belongs to a navy man on active duty, and 2 jeeps, one an M151 (vietnam era jeep) and one Ford GPW built in 1945.  Highlight of the day was getting to drive the WWII jeep (Ford GPW).  According to the owner it's about 80% original, he did a lot of restoration on it, and could tell me the ownership history to when it was surplussed out from the local military base. Was a very nice piece of history, but I don't think I'd want to own one.

The worst part was probably finding out I had a 103.1 fever, while at the same time on the verge of shivering because I felt so cold.  Being sick sucks.

Hang in there bro. Impressive fever. Sounds like you're getting good care.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2019 at 12:26 AM, Paul53 said:

Hang in there bro. Impressive fever. Sounds like you're getting good care.

I'm actually kind of surprised I felt so lucid for most of the day, considering the fever.  If it hadn't been the sore throat preventing me from eating and limiting my talking, I'd probably have gone onto the evening movie party to hang out, which probably would have been a bad idea anyway as it's over an hour to drive back home, and that's in a much higher traffic area than I live in.  It's a lot easier to deal with a little dizziness during the day than at night with a bunch of random vehicle lights going every which way I'm sure.

One nice thing about a small town hospital is it's nowhere near as busy as the ones in bigger cities.  The hospital is only a few years old, and they're still building/expanding the medical complex.  What started out as urgent care/ER/clinics is now pretty much just urgent care and ER, and related stuff, and a new 3 story hospital building is being built for everything else to be in.  About the only good thing that came out of Obama care is the amount of medical facilities being built. 

As fevers go, not the highest one I've had.  Back in basic training I had to do rifle qualifications while not feeling well, then they only sent me to the troop medical center as battle buddy to the guy with pink eye so bad in both eyes he couldn't shoot.  I managed to get sharpshooter, then got to the medical center and wasn't going to be admitted since it was past the usual morning admittance time.  They took my temp, 103.5, and let me in.  Didn't even give me any grief that I instead of standing against a wall where they told me to wait I was sitting against the wall, legs spread wide, head kind of lolled over to one side.  I kind of wonder if anyone saw me slide slowly down the wall when I felt like I might be passing out, or they just decided I really was as bad as I looked and not trying to fake it.  Just one of a few medical visits in basic training. 

On a side note and only mildly related, the NBC chamber really sucks when you have pink eye.  

Correction, I actually got Sharpshooter, not Marksman, with the 103.5 fever

Edited by Cougar_ml
  • Like 4

correction to above, thinking about it, the worst part is the sore throat when I swallow.  Not even the pain so much, though I'd rate it a 7 or 8 out of 10.  The worst part is thinking about it, knowing that I'm going to have to swallow from saliva buildup, or clearing my sinuses, or drinking water.  Having to stop and get ready, build myself up to being able to make the necessary actions to swallow whatever I need to.  The pain sucks, but the psychological aspect of it's a little worse.  I prefer to just do something painful and getting it over with, but having to repeat the pain regularly and knowing it's going to keep coming up for the foreseeable future is not my cup of tea.

I'm a little short on sleep right now, so I'm rambling a little.  I tend to do that.  When I'm really short on sleep and overly tired I tend to get extremely happy/cheerful.  I think it's a defense mechanism of sorts, as who wants to be around the guy that's extremely cheerful when you haven't slept in a day or two.  My NCO said once though that she really appreciated how I could be so positive and cheerful when things were a little hard. 

It's 1am now, so I've only been up for 20 hours or so, but I only managed a few hours of sleep in the previous 24 hours to that, scattered over the whole time period for no more than an hour or so at a time, and probably not more than 4 or 5 hours a night for the past week for whatever reasons kept waking me up. 

Then again, this hasn't been a good year for me so far.  1 bad cold, 1 flu, 1 sinus infection and now this throat infection, I'm averaging about 1 decent illness a month so far.  

• Like 2

I don't even own a thermometer! If I have chills and shivering I know my body is creating heat. If I'm sweating and feeling like the room is warm, I know that's how the body cools itself. Follow label instructions alternating acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Motrin) it keeps me more comfortable and I don't annoy the wimmen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paul53 said:

I don't even own a thermometer! If I have chills and shivering I know my body is creating heat. If I'm sweating and feeling like the room is warm, I know that's how the body cools itself. Follow label instructions alternating acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Motrin) it keeps me more comfortable and I don't annoy the wimmen.

1 minute ago, Paul53 said:

Get some rest, feel better soon, don't over do it.

Yeah, I know I should.  I just don't like it when I go to bed, sleep for just the bare minimum my body needs to be functional for a couple more hours, and be unable to sleep any further.  I don't react well to taking things like diphenhydramine hydrochloride (benadryl) that act as sleep aids, and while they seem to help me a little to sleep, being slightly loopy/out of it/useless the entire next day doesn't seem like a good trade off to me.  

If nothing else, it's just my turn to get to whine on here a little bit and decry "oh, woe is me" to the general masses, both washed and unwashed, that abide here.  Considering that last sentence had 3 different words or phrases that I don't think I've ever used, and 2 that I only rarely invoke, I must be pretty far out of it.  Probably a good thing that I don't touch alcohol, if I get this bad from being short on sleep, I really hate to think how I'd behave after imbibing to excess.  

The pharmacist did warn me that the anti-inflammatory steroid the doc prescribed me might make it hard to sleep if I took it today and that I should probably hold off until tomorrow to start it, but I wanted it working as soon as possible so I took it as soon as I got in the car with some pedialyte, along with the antibiotic.  Not like I was going to get much sleep with my throat hurting like it is, so meh.

My eyes are finally starting to feel droopy, now I just need to convince my brain to dial itself down enough to get some shuteye.  If I'm back on here in an hour or two we'll all know it didn't work, and you'll get a few more of my sleep deprived ramblings to ponder (and for me to possibly regert when I'm past this condition.

Image result for no regerts

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Get feeling better soon. tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Thanks guys, I am feeling a little better.  Pain scale is down to about half of what it was, so I can actually eat food again without stressing about how bad it's going to hurt.  First thing eaten this morning: BACON!

Glad you're feeling better, bud! For awhile there it sounded like you had been invaded with a bad case of the Moshe.

:couch:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

nitpicking here, but that's an M1911A1...

However, I do agree with your astute assessment.

The Lords gun will hurt like hell when you try and slap a mag change from the lanyard loop....ask me, I know.

• Haha 3

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic