Random Posting

Eric

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, Eric said:

Who can explain to the class why Chevrolet produced a 302 cubic inch small block engine, in the mid-sixties? Extra points if you can explain how they accomplished it.

Chevy produced the 302 for the SCCA trans-am series races which had a 305 Cubic inch limit. The 302 used the 327's block with the 4 inch bore with the 283's 3 inch stroke. Engines that have a larger bore than stroke are capable of high RPM's. Engines with a longer stroke and a smaller bore produce good torque but generally put out less horsepower.

Chevy did the opposite of what they did with the 302 when they designed the 307 which became their "economy" car engine which used the 327 crank and the 283's 3 78 inch bore. I had a 307 with a TH350 in a 1970 Chevelle Malibu (it had been my Grandmother's car that she bought news in 1970) and it was a dog compared to the same car with a 350 engine.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Chevy produced the 302 for the SCCA trans-am series races which had a 305 Cubic inch limit. The 302 used the 327's block with the 4 inch bore with the 283's 3 inch stroke. Engines that have a larger bore than stroke are capable of high RPM's. Engines with a longer stroke and a smaller bore produce good torque but generally put out less horsepower.

Chevy did the opposite of what they did with the 302 when they designed the 307 which became their "economy" car engine which used the 327 crank and the 283's 3 78 inch bore. I had a 307 with a TH350 in a 1970 Chevelle Malibu (it had been my Grandmother's car that she bought news in 1970) and it was a dog compared to the same car with a 350 engine.

Good post.  The Chevy 302 also had four bolt main bearings like their (one year later) 350 LT-1.  That gave it additional strength for high RPM's.  The 302 was the engine offered in it's first generation Camaro Z28s.

• Like 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic