Random Posting

Eric

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Cubdriver said:

THAT looked like it hurt!  :eek:

-Pat

I’ve been in several situations where really heavy things I was trying to control started to get away from me. I got the **** away from them every time.

I was helping a guy erect 20’-tall industrial palette racking, back in the early nineties. We put one upright vertical and the other guy was supposed to hold it that way, while I raised a second one with the forklift. Keeping the upright vertical was not a problem for one guy, as long as he kept it close to vertical. This guy did not. He let the top shift toward him a few degrees and it started coming down. The dumbass tried to hold it up. I had to jump off a moving forklift and pull him clear before he got creamed. Some people have really bad instincts for such work and should not be doing it.

I can’t believe that guy in the video didn’t turn loose of the dolly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric said:

:anim_rofl2::anim_rofl2::anim_rofl2:

See, this post kind of informs on the post above it. :biggrin:

Sister's idiot husband was driving a fork lift, and couldn't line up to the pallet.  So he left the fork lift in a very slow forward gear, jumped off to line up the pallet by hand to the tines.  The fork lift pinned him to the wall when one tine caught him in the leg.  Did I say he was an idiot?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric said:

I’ve been in several situations where really heavy things I was trying to control started to get away from me. I got the **** away from them every time.

I was helping a guy erect 20’-tall industrial palette racking, back in the early nineties. We put one upright vertical and the other guy was supposed to hold it that way, while I raised a second one with the forklift. Keeping the upright vertical was not a problem for one guy, as long as he kept it close to vertical. This guy did not. He let the top shift toward him a few degrees and it started coming down. The dumbass tried to hold it up. I had to jump off a moving forklift and pull him clear before he got creamed. Some people have really bad instincts for such work and should not be doing it.

I can’t believe that guy in the video didn’t turn loose of the dolly. 

He did turn it loose, about 1.5 seconds to late though.   :whistling:

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Sister's idiot husband was driving a fork lift, and couldn't line up to the pallet.  So he left the fork lift in a very slow forward gear, jumped off to line up the pallet by hand to the tines.  The fork lift pinned him to the wall when one tine caught him in the leg.  Did I say he was an idiot?

I’ve seen people do some crazy **** on forklifts. The worst I ever managed was dropping a 20’ section of 24” 1/4”-wall steel pipe about twenty feet onto the top of the company truck I was driving. Back in the mid-nineties, I was a mechanic and sometime delivery driver for a water drilling supply company. I was the only one there the boss trusted with the 40’ 5th-wheel trailers. We had an auxiliary yard four blocks from our main yard, where we kept the really large diameter casing. There was 20’ palette racking set up all over the yard. We had a tired old 25-ton forklift down there, for loading. It was a big bastard and it leaked, wheezed and farted like a 20-year-old English Bulldog.

I took a flatbed 1-ton truck down there one day to load that 20’ joint of 24” pipe. The pipe was really too long to load on the truck, but I was only taking it back to the other yard and I couldn’t get a big trailer into the aux yard. I had to extend the forks up above twenty feet, to clear the racking with the pipe. As I approached the truck, I started slowing and the pipe started rolling toward the end of the forks. The old forklift either did not have the ability to tilt its load back past vertical, or that function didn’t work. I forget which.

So, as I rolled to a stop beside the truck, the pipe rolled off the forks and fell twenty feet onto the truck. My boss had just bought that truck at an auction. It was almost new, but had been lightly rolled over. Just a week earlier, I had finished removing and replacing the damaged roof structure and front end, repainted the truck and painted & installed a new flatbed, with a nice headache rack. The headache rack bore most of the impact and it got hammered a bit.

This happened during lunchtime. I strapped down the pipe, busted ass back up to the shop, cut out the damaged part of the headache rack, cut & welded in replacement tubing and painted it before the boss came back from lunch. When I went into the office later, no one was the wiser. The office manager asked me what that loud noise had been earlier though. The pipe hitting the truck had been so loud, he heard it four blocks away, inside the office. :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Eric said:

I’ve seen people do some crazy **** on forklifts. The worst I ever managed was dropping a 20’ section of 24” 1/4”-wall steel pipe about twenty feet onto the top of the company truck I was driving. Back in the mid-nineties, I was a mechanic and sometime delivery driver for a water drilling supply company. I was the only one there the boss trusted with the 40’ 5th-wheel trailers. We had an auxiliary yard four blocks from our main yard, where we kept the really large diameter casing. There was 20’ palette racking set up all over the yard. We had a tired old 25-ton forklift down there, for loading. It was a big bastard and it leaked, wheezed and farted like a 20-year-old English Bulldog.

I took a flatbed 1-ton truck down there one day to load that 20’ joint of 24” pipe. The pipe was really too long to load on the truck, but I was only taking it back to the other yard and I couldn’t get a big trailer into the aux yard. I had to extend the forks up above twenty feet, to clear the racking with the pipe. As I approached the truck, I started slowing and the pipe started rolling toward the end of the forks. The old forklift either did not have the ability to tilt its load back past vertical, or that function didn’t work. I forget which.

So, as I rolled to a stop beside the truck, the pipe rolled off the forks and fell twenty feet onto the truck. My boss had just bought that truck at an auction. It was almost new, but had been lightly rolled over. Just a week earlier, I had finished removing and replacing the damaged roof structure and front end, repainted the truck and painted & installed a new flatbed, with a nice headache rack. The headache rack bore most of the impact and it got hammered a bit.

This happened during lunchtime. I strapped down the pipe, busted ass back up to the shop, cut out the damaged part of the headache rack, cut & welded in replacement tubing and painted it before the boss came back from lunch. When I went into the office later, no one was the wiser. The office manager asked me what that loud noise had been earlier though. The pipe hitting the truck had been so loud, he heard it four blocks away, inside the office. :biggrin:

Those last minute saves are the best!

• Like 1

• Administrators

One time my brother and I rented a Penske 24’ truck w/ a liftgate, to move a couple of Sun Microsystems server arrays. These were huge steel roller cabinets that contain a computing system where you can add many processor, memory, power and storage modules. These cabinets were really large. Each one weighed more than five-hundred pounds. I had gotten a good deal on them and I was considering transferring Glock Talk’s operations onto that platform. The idea never went anywhere though.

Anyway, the liftgate on the truck sucked. It was very narrow and it sloped downward. We got the first cabinet off the truck without incident, but then we subsequently discovered a faster way to unload. My brother was on the truck and I was on the street. He rolled the cabinet onto the ramp and I intended to help keep it from moving, while he lowered it down. The slope of the ramp got the better of us though and the cabinet did a swan dive.

In the second or two when it went wrong, my brother had the sense to turn loose of the cabinet & step back and I had the sense to get the **** out of the way most ricky-tick. The fall racked the hell out of the cabinet frame, broke everything inside and dug an impressive gouge out of the asphalt, but we were both unhurt and had a pretty good laugh over it. If you can’t laugh at yourself,  someone else surely will. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic