Random Posting

Eric

39 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Why isn’t it self sufficient once started?

Photosynthesis needs energy input. Sunlight most likely. I dunno if that energy is output or stored (as carbon, maybe?) If stored there's an eventual limit. Just spitballin' here... :supergrin:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Photosynthesis needs energy input. Sunlight most likely. I dunno if that energy is output or stored (as carbon, maybe?) If stored there's an eventual limit. Just spitballin' here... :supergrin:

I suspect the conditions under which that jug environment functions are similar to an indoor room with some light and temperature maintenance. Maybe in a suburban living room or sun room. The plants would give off oxygen and absorb carbon while growing, then decay and release carbon dioxide so the cycle would repeat. Interesting experiment or happenstance. Various science fiction pieces dealing with generation ships, permanently inhabited space stations etc have hypothesized using similar technology. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I suspect the conditions under which that jug environment functions are similar to an indoor room with some light and temperature maintenance. Maybe in a suburban living room or sun room. The plants would give off oxygen and absorb carbon while growing, then decay and release carbon dioxide so the cycle would repeat. Interesting experiment or happenstance. Various science fiction pieces dealing with generation ships, permanently inhabited space stations etc have hypothesized using similar technology. 

Yes. I was neglecting that the energy entering the system as sunlight can leave as heat. So it all balances out.

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Could have been from a sea battle from the “men were steel and ships were wood” era. Reportedly splinters were a major cause of injury and death in those battles. 

I served on a "Wooden ship".  (MSO)  Our order were, when/if minesweeping closer to shore (done in Korea) and taking small arms fire, to get out on deck with Thompsons to return fire.  Our chances of being hit by bullets were less than the chances of being hit by splinters below decks.

We had Thompsons for every member of the crew.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Eric said:

The video that puts the ‘hit’ in oh ****!

I worked a project for my company, where we were making a small change to the stores stations interconnects.  It involved one year testing for everything functional on the A/C, on an "Iron Bird".  That's a test airplane completely outfitted with everything, but it never left the ground.

If Iron Bird testing was successful, then testing on a specific A/C was done, and in our case, on a test A/C belonging to NASA Dryden Test Flight Center at Andrews for another year.  Safety was a primary concern.  The test Aircraft were "Owned" by a Project Manager.  Some of them were women and you didn't cross them!

My company was looking at a test vehicle and I was up on the wing with it's Maintenance Manager.  MY company management shouted for me to "get down".

The woman Manager of NASA Dryden and the A/C, told my company management that I was up there by her permission, and if they wanted to take me down, they could take their testing somewhere else!  There is no other American Navy.  She liked me, I did things by the book!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Swampfox762 said:

I actually was lookin at buying one of those.  Seriously.  Turned around and looked at the wife, and immediately forgot that idea.  Still think it would have been cool...

Wonder if they are to the point of fabricating 57 Chevy rear end look alike components, or are they scavenging wrecking lots.  

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic