Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

What type of engine is that?

Radial aircraft engine. 2-stroke maybe?

Yes. I guesed right. That is a Monaco Trossi 1935 Grand Prix Racer. It had an air cooled, 16-cylinder, two-stroke radial engine was mounted at the very front of the car. With a 65 mm (2.56 in) bore and 75 mm (2.96 in) stroke, the engine displaced 3,982 cc (243 cu in). The cylinders were arranged in two rows of eight with each front row cylinder and rear row cylinder paired together. While having two cylinders and two pistons, each cylinder pair had a common combustion chamber and spark plug. The eight two-cylinder pairs were positioned around the crankcase. Being a two-stroke engine, there were no intake or exhaust valves. The inlet ports were in the rear cylinders and exhaust ports were in the front cylinders. The crankshaft was a three-piece design and the crankcase was made of duralumin. For both cylinder rows, the connecting rods were of the normal radial engine type with one master rod connected to the crankshaft and the seven articulating rods connected to the master rod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

0465bd8ca4b8e7ae.jpeg?1594523708

Story was that back then, the DeSoto had the fancy stuff first, then if it panned out, the fancy stuff went to Chrysler Products.

Our 46 Chrysler had Fluid Drive, It was like an automatic in each pair of gears.  You started in the lowest gear and let up to shift it to the next gear without using a clutch.

The clutch was there if you preferred to use it.

43 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Story was that back then, the DeSoto had the fancy stuff first, then if it panned out, the fancy stuff went to Chrysler Products.

Our 46 Chrysler had Fluid Drive, It was like an automatic in each pair of gears.  You started in the lowest gear and let up to shift it to the next gear without using a clutch.

The clutch was there if you preferred to use it.

I had a DeSoto about 1958, don't remember much about it other than it was two tone and built like a tank.  That was my first car, it was several years old when I got.

• Thanks 1