TX Blade Show

El Spicoli

Anyone going tomorrow?   Anyone went today?  Seeing that I am a Meskin, it is almost a requirement that I go.  Never made the East or West Coast shows so this is about as close as I will get.  I have met a few custom knife makers at past Shot Shows and met Andre Arlovski (UFC HW Fighter) at NRA Expo 2 yrs ago.  It's a nice day in Cowtown so gonna ride the scooter out there.  Msg me if you are going and wanna meet up.  I will probably get there around 10:30a.  I need another knife like I need a hole in the head.  I got a Boker titanium folder being shipped and probably bought about 5 knives last month.  I probably need to seek help.

• Like 6

Knife shows are good. Even my wife likes to come with me. Better than gun shows. People are much nicer to ladies at knife shows. Both customers and dealers. Gun show people are asses to women.

But knife shows are expensive. Especially when I sharpen knives as a side gig. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

Anyone going tomorrow?   Anyone went today?  Seeing that I am a Meskin, it is almost a requirement that I go.  Never made the East or West Coast shows so this is about as close as I will get.  I have met a few custom knife makers at past Shot Shows and met Andre Arlovski (UFC HW Fighter) at NRA Expo 2 yrs ago.  It's a nice day in Cowtown so gonna ride the scooter out there.  Msg me if you are going and wanna meet up.  I will probably get there around 10:30a.  I need another knife like I need a hole in the head.  I got a Boker titanium folder being shipped and probably bought about 5 knives last month.  I probably need to seek help.

You can't have too many knives. tom. :cowboy2:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

A 2016 BMW C650 Sport.  I also have a 2016 BMW F800ST in the garage and took my 2017 SV650 to the gym today.  For February, the weather has been great here.

Nice! Mine is a 200cc manual transmission Vespa 1980 P200e. Need to get it ready for “the season”. I’ve tried some of the automatic transmission machines but muscle memory expects the lever on the left handle bar to operate the clutch rather than the rear brake. Especially bad on gravel. 

• Like 2

Scooters are awesome.  I always seem to have a scooter in the garage.  Twist n go, cargo storage, comfort, hard to go wrong.  We took the scoot out for a Sat. HD ride and surprised a lot of riders.  I gots me heated grips and heated seat too.  :D

• Like 1

Didn't do too bad.  I spent $150 on 2 knives.  Bottom is a Kansept Steller with titanium handles and S35VN blade.  Top is a limited production run of a custom knife by Corey Fox, a Texan that lives in Italy.  Never heard of him but liked the design.  D2 is the steel.

Lots of high end stuff I liked but wasn't dropping $700 on a folder.  Very cool short sword made out of titanium but again, $700.  I saw a couple Katanas in the 3K range.  It was a big show, I was impressed.  Well worth the $25 ticket.  I spent about 4 hours talking with lots of folks and learned all about magnacut steel.

PXL_20240225_001032770.jpg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

Very cool short sword made out of titanium but again, $700...I spent about 4 hours talking with lots of folks and learned all about magnacut steel.

I thought titanium wasn't a good choice for blade steel in that it quickly loses it's edge?  Also, are you going to fill us in about magnacut steel?  It seems to be all the rage lately.

20 minutes ago, minderasr said:

I thought titanium wasn't a good choice for blade steel in that it quickly loses it's edge?  Also, are you going to fill us in about magnacut steel?  It seems to be all the rage lately.

Yeah it is all about edge retention.  I asked about  sharpening titanium and he said it was easy and explained the process.  I guess it is easy because it dulls quickly?  He was actually in the space engineering field and has access to a lot of discarded titanium.  I wondered the same thing but the short sword was definitely a work of art.  It cuts well he said but not a good chopper.

As for magnacut, it is all the rage apparently.  Bottom line, it is a harder steel and stainless.  It holds an edge longer but is harder to sharpen and a few I spoke with didn't like working with it for custom stuff since it is hard to work with.  Production stuff off cnc machines is fine.  No one said it but I got the feeling other steels were in shorter supply.  7-10 years ago, D2 was premium and now look at it.  I have nothing in magnacut right now.  My better stuff is S35VN.  No one said anything about Chinese steel.  I spoke with the guys at Vosteen booth which is China produced.  They had some nice designs and we talked about the China bashing and how one maker, Medford, really goes off on them.  Kansept and Boker were out there (Boker folks are useless) and their stuff is almost all Chinese.  You can't get away from it and 98% of mine are pretty darn good.  No knife failures yet but mine live a good life, in pocket and simply cut stuff.  Medford is nice but when I can buy a nice gun at that price, well....

• Like 1

I was at one booth, I will have to pull his card and they were a couple out of WA and he had a ton of workable "tactical" knives and he had one frame lock that was in the wrong place so his wife quoted me wrong price.  He was super nice and said he would honor that price, $600.  He pulled a knife that was a new design and actually handed it to me and asked what I thought about it.  It was called "the Reacher" after the TV show?  I knew I liked him because he was very cordial when I explained what I didn't like about it, comparing it to the one I initially picked up.

All that to say is IF I am dropping 500+ on a knife, it is gonna be from one of these smaller shops that have the same quality as the bigger known makers but are easier to talk with. My buddy started making knives 2 yrs ago and he has some decent stuff.  I need to hang out in his shop when I am off to see the process.