Apple releases urgent iOS update due to security exploits

TBO

5 hours ago, DAKA said:

I think i'm on 6  is that possible ?

I dont know, but I kind of wish I was that far back as far as the phone itself.

If I have to carry one of these annoying phones, I would like it to be small enough to slip in my shirt pocket withough haveing to streach the pocket open with the other hand. That's why I got an Apple Watch. So I could leave the damned iphone at home in a drawer.

• Like 1

And another thing. If this really is an urgent security update, wouldn't you think the actual iPhone users would have gotten an email, text or some other "Hot Line" message warning us that the end was near if we did not do this update imediately?

Maybe I wouldn't have gotten one since I have not update in a long time, but my wife is one of the got to have the latest and greatest crowd, so it would most definietly effect her woulnt yo think.

Probably just same old, same old stuff.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

Pixel all the way now.  Apple can suck it.

This ^^^.

Just scored a Pixel 8 Pro, thanks to my sister.  She mangled her phone pretty badly.  I told her if she could wait for the Black Friday sales, I'd get her a new phone as an early Christmas gift.  I ordered and received the phone, then she tells me she couldn't wait and bought one herself.  Merry Christmas to me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jmohme said:

I dont know, but I kind of wish I was that far back as far as the phone itself.

If I have to carry one of these annoying phones, I would like it to be small enough to slip in my shirt pocket withough haveing to streach the pocket open with the other hand. That's why I got an Apple Watch. So I could leave the damned iphone at home in a drawer.

I'm not up on this but your saying your Apple Watch isn't tethered to your phone by WiFi.  In other words your watch can do it all and no need for a phone?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

I'm not up on this but your saying your Apple Watch isn't tethered to your phone by WiFi.  In other words your watch can do it all and no need for a phone?

You have to initialy pair it with your phone, but yes, the watch has cellular so the phone can be left in the bottom of a drawer where it belongs. :-)

My only issue with it is sometimes the airpods dont want to pair reliably. Dont think its the watch's fault. I just have never had good luck with anything bluetooth, but anything to not have to carry a smart stupid phone...Any smart stupid phone of any brand or OS. I absolutely hate those things!!!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, minderasr said:

This ^^^.

Just scored a Pixel 8 Pro, thanks to my sister.  She mangled her phone pretty badly.  I told her if she could wait for the Black Friday sales, I'd get her a new phone as an early Christmas gift.  I ordered and received the phone, then she tells me she couldn't wait and bought one herself.  Merry Christmas to me!

Wife just got the Pixel 8 Pro.  She made the move mostly due to price.  Phone, Watch, Tablet were half of what Apple wanted.  Best Buy then gave her $400 for turning her 12, IPad, and watch in.  She is learning to make the switch.  Her IPhone friends are a bit pretentious, similar to Prius owners.  I have the 7 and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.  Typing this on a $100 Samsung TabA.   I hate to overpay for stuff.  I drive a 2020 Buick Regal by the way....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

**** APPLE!

My phones did an update last night. Private Browsing is now permanent. Every time I go to a website I must now sign in. No more remembering history or sites. No auto sign in. 

I cant even remember the last time I tried to do anything internet releated on phone. I need a minimum of a 12 inch display for most things. You must have much younger eyes than I do.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

Wife just got the Pixel 8 Pro.  She made the move mostly due to price.  Phone, Watch, Tablet were half of what Apple wanted.  Best Buy then gave her $400 for turning her 12, IPad, and watch in.  She is learning to make the switch.  Her IPhone friends are a bit pretentious, similar to Prius owners.  I have the 7 and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.  Typing this on a $100 Samsung TabA.   I hate to overpay for stuff.  I drive a 2020 Buick Regal by the way....

I went from iPhone 11 to 15 Pro Max. The 11 was dying.

so far so good.

my wheels are 2014 Town and Country bought used

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

**** APPLE!

My phones did an update last night. Private Browsing is now permanent. Every time I go to a website I must now sign in. No more remembering history or sites. No auto sign in. 

They fixed a serious flaw which allowed about anyone access.  Get yourself a good password manager.  It will save you a lot of headaches and make your online experience much more secure.  Bitwarden is highly regarded (and free, but they do have subscription based plans).

https://bitwarden.com

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 12:10 PM, Batesmotel said:

**** APPLE!

I just took over my wifes old ipad pro and it updated to ops 17.1.2 last night and I am not seeing this problem. I can still switch between regular browsing and private and it also still remembers my passwords so I dont have to type them in everytime. 

Maybe something in your settings?