USSC Justice Sandra Day O'Connor Dead

M&P15T

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

She's passed. 

I'm looking her up. Seems she was part conservative, part leftist. 

Does the Biden Admin appoint a new Justice? Usually that's not done in the last year of a Presidential term. 

McConnell in the Senate kept Obama’s choice from consideration because Obama could not be the president after the election. Biden appointed Merrick B. Garland who was Obama’s nominee to be the Attorney General. Democrats currently barely control the Senate so they might could appoint a successor.

Since Ms O’Conner was retired there shouldn’t be an occasion to appoint a replacement. 

• Like 2

She was a Reagan appointee, replaced by Samuel Alito, and when she was the swing vote, 80% of the time she sided with the conservatives.  She retired from the Supreme Court to spend more time with her husband.  He developed Alzheimers.  She was still hearing cases then.  It wasn't until 8 years later that she was also diagnosed with dementia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

She was a Reagan appointee, replaced by Samuel Alito, and when she was the swing vote, 80% of the time she sided with the conservatives.  She retired from the Supreme Court to spend more time with her husband.  He developed Alzheimers.  She was still hearing cases then.  It wasn't until 8 years later that she was also diagnosed with dementia.

Yes, she voted with conservatives 80% of the time and was considered to be a moderate. Today she would be considered a  Right wing extremist for many of her decisions only because the political "Center" has now moved to the Left.

RIP Sandra Day O'Connor.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2023 at 8:12 PM, Borg warner said:

Yes, she voted with conservatives 80% of the time and was considered to be a moderate. Today she would be considered a  Right wing extremist for many of her decisions only because the political "Center" has now moved to the Left.

RIP Sandra Day O'Connor.

She had her good decisions… and some seriously bad ones.   I just find it hypocritical of the left to have made such a big deal about RBG… when O’Connor was actually the first woman on the Court.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

She had her good decisions… and some seriously bad ones.   I just find it hypocritical of the left to have made such a big deal about RBG… when O’Connor was actually the first woman on the Court.

Generally speaking the left is… “Don’t confuse me with facts. My mind is made up.”

• Like 2