New ATF rule on pistol stabilizing braces

pipedreams

Wonder how this will end up after all the lawsuits.   There are estimated to be between 10 and 40 million of such braces in use.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives released a new rule on pistol-stabilizing braces that will effectively ban millions of rifles and has Second Amendment supporters up in arms.

The ATF had previously ruled that pistol braces were legal, but a new rule was sought by President Joe Biden as part of his promise to reform gun laws.

The 296-page document outlines several options that gun owners with stabilizing braces have to avoid prosecution.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/atf-braces-ban-rule-biden

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2023/01/13/atf-final-rule-stabilizer-brace-owners-have-120-days-register-them/

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-lawmakers-nra-slam-atf-rule-regulate-pistol-braces-unconstitutional-overreach

"“Any weapons with 'stabilizing braces' or similar attachments that constitute rifles under the NFA must be registered no later than 120 days after date of publication in the Federal Register," read the rule, "or the short barrel removed and a 16-inch or longer rifle barrel attached to the firearm; or permanently remove and dispose of, or alter, the 'stabilizing brace' such that it cannot be reattached; or the firearm is turned in to your local ATF office. Or the firearm is destroyed.”"

• Sad 1

• pipedreams changed the title to New ATF rule on pistol stabilizing braces

While we are waiting for all the criminals to take this action and all the gang member thugs to turn in there guns how about all of us law bidding citizens go have a drink I am sure we will be drunk before those people take the action of handing over there guns.

This will be stayed by A FEDERAL JUDGE WITHIN DAYS.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, geeorge said:

I would just tell them to learn to shoot a pistol like a man with out a stock

Just a guess but anyone with AR pistol with or without a brace,  most likely owns several firearms and proficient with all of them.

Not many newbies buying their first gun likely to make that sort of purchase.

7 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Just a guess but anyone with AR pistol with or without a brace,  most likely owns several firearms and proficient with all of them.

Not many newbies buying their first gun likely to make that sort of purchase.

Pistol braces are for people with little to no upper body strength IMO

On 1/15/2023 at 12:30 AM, geeorge said:

If I wanted a stock I would buy a rifle

Well the problem with that is IF you want a shorter barrel than what the govt. Tells you you can have, you have to ask permission and pay a tax.  

We all know the brace thing was a work around and it worked very well actually.  A 300blk AR pistol with or without a suppressor is a pretty good truck or urban "rifle"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

Then you don't understand why people buy them.

Besides that, it requires MORE upper body strength to use them as actually intended, not less.

I know exactly why they are weak and can't keep the gun on target with out a stock

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, geeorge said:

By that I am taking it as you are one of those low upper body strength people who need the braces to have any accuracy at all

I really haven't figured out what you think you are rambling on about. I can still pass the Army PT test for the 17-21 year old age rate and lift weights daily.  So no.... You'd be completely mistaken.  

28 minutes ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

I really haven't figured out what you think you are rambling on about. I can still pass the Army PT test for the 17-21 year old age rate and lift weights daily.  So no.... You'd be completely mistaken.  

Yeah right skippy

2 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Considering how the ATF is losing in court due to their arbitrary changing of definitions with bump stocks, this new arbitrary definition change with pistol braces is likely to end up the same way in court.  

The lawsuit of the Second Amendment Foundation vs ATF filed in the northern district of Texas is a lawsuit to challenge the ATF’s gross overreach into the world of pistol braces.

Both parties have requested to meet and file a joint status report on February 27th, 2023. So even though they have indicated that it is going to drop in January, they are not even having another joint status report until the end of February.

• Like 2