Glock 30 Kaboom!

Eric

• Administrators
Back in 2001, Glock Talk had an official shooting club that met at Ben Avery once a month, in Phoenix. At one of our shoots, one of our members had his G30 grenade in his hand, right behind me. The poor guy's hand was cut up a bit and the pistol was toast.

He was firing ammo from a case of S&B that he had purchased. He contacted them and gave them the lot number of the ammo. With no other questions or haggling, they replaced his pistol and offered him a case of ammo. Well, they orignally offered him a new case of their ammo, but when he declined, they bought him a case of his choice of ammo.😀 As badly as the gun was damaged, the polymer frame absorbed and contained a good deal of the blast.

I took the pictures with my first digital camera; A Sony Digital Mavica. Remember those? It stored the pictures to a 3.5" floppy disc.😆 It had great optics though and it took credible pictures. I did product photography for a number of companies' websites & shopping carts I built back then, using that camera. It was damned expensive, but it paid for itself with the first job I used it on.

1715612029_ScreenShot2022-06-21at7_43_13PM.png

1567714412_ScreenShot2022-06-21at7_44_42PM.png

75516987_ScreenShot2022-06-21at7_45_16PM.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Eric locked this topic
  • Eric unlocked this topic
  • Administrators
12 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Friend had one of those Sony cameras. He did wedding and little league level sports photography for several years as a second job. Was pleased with the camera. As you say it did good work. 

The optics were Carl Zeiss. It was a middle-of-the-road lens, but a damned good one. The photo sensors were primitive compared to modern cameras. My MVC-FD88 took 1280x960-pixel images! :greensupergrin: The Internet was pretty primitive back then as well though and those images looked pretty good online. The white balance could be tricky on that camera and the delay between the time you clicked the button and when the picture was actually captured could be maddening though. I missed a lot of great shots because of those two issues. Oh well. I got a lot of great shots in too.

I got this shot at the Phoenix Zoo in 2000 or 2001, with the same camera. That baboon saw me pointing the camera at it and it laid down over a flat boulder and posed for me.

MonkeyMe-750.jpg

• Like 3

Neat pics! I wish we'd had a camera available when my husband blew apart my baby Glock (also with factory ammo, not re-loads!).  Blew the mag out the bottom and destroyed some of the innards, he'll remember what, but I don't.  (Glock fixed it).   No one was injured - his hands just hurt for a good bit and it took him a minute before he could get his fingers to work for let go of the gun.  

• Sad 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Neat pics! I wish we'd had a camera available when my husband blew apart my baby Glock (also with factory ammo, not re-loads!).  Blew the mag out the bottom and destroyed some of the innards, he'll remember what, but I don't.  (Glock fixed it).   No one was injured - his hands just hurt for a good bit and it took him a minute before he could get his fingers to work for let go of the gun.  

I'm glad he wasn't hurt worse. I've heard that the two loudest sounds you will ever hear are a click when you expect a bang and a bang when you expect a click. I imagine hearing a !BANG! when you expect a bang is pretty damned loud too. :greensupergrin:

On the Glock above, it partially ejected the mag, but it completely ejected the magazine's guts and payload. The empy mag shell was left halfway out of the grip. That was a seriously hot round.

• Like 3