We were asked to evaucuate this afternoon.

jmohme

In 2011 we lost our home to the wildfires in Bastrop Texas, so we tend to take fire warning pretty seriously.

For the past few days, there have been text warning coming over our phones telling us that due to winds and dry conditions, not to burn anything.

Well the folks that do prescribed burns in the state park apparently either didn't get the memo, or figured that they were professionals and it didn't apply to them. Yes, they did their scheduled burn, yes, there were winds, and yes they lost control of the fire. The next text messages and phone calls were telling us to evacuate.

I have an event schedule for this Thursday through Sunday, so I already had my RV loaded. We made arrangements to relocate our horses to safe location and then proceeded to load some valuables into the now crowded RV. By the time the horses were relocated, it was getting dark. I couldn't see any sky glow from the fire and the sky seemed clear, but we headed out anyway. We got a spot at an RV Park and had just about got evertyhing set up when we got another automated call giving us the all clear.

I know **** happens, but whoever the fool was that gave the go ahead to proceed with the "controlled burn" need to lose his or her job!

All this said, I am back home now enjoying a nice 21 year old scotch while ranting about the days events on an Internet forum. It could be worse!

• Like 10

Fry the idiot.

We had a fire at Camp Williams called the Machine Gun fire. Guess how it started. 5000 acres burned. 16,000 evacuated. Homes, outbuildings, fences and cars burned. All off base. Not counting damage on base. During an extreme fire danger warning (Red Flag on base). 12% humidity. High winds. 

Some overly Gung Ho National Guard commander wasn’t going to let a little thing like a Red Flag alert stop him from seeing his boys shoot up the sagebrush.

They should have roasted him in his own mess. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Unfortunately rank often does not relate to competence - at least not competence beyond getting promoted. 

Sucks how that works. Idiot screws up. Everyone else pays for it. Idiot gets promoted by other idiots like him. All about playing politics. 

• Like 3

The day after we were asked to evacuate, I had to head out to a job for a week. I got home Monday evening and went into town for the first time since the runaway fire yesterday.

I hear that there is a full investigation into what happened, but any idiot knows that you don't light the woods on fire on a dry windy day. Texas Parks and Wildlife just plain fucked up and should be held accountable.

But that is not why I Brought this thread back to life. I wanted to call out the outstanding fire fighters that worked through the night and into the next day. Their work ensured that not a single family lost their homes.  On my trip into town on highway 21, I saw a lot of burned pines and grassy areas. many burned within a few feet of peoples homes, but were held back by the work of these brave firefighters. 

Just amazing work and they should be recognized for what they did. 

In fact, I would be thrilled if the funding Texas Parks and Wildlife folks in this county would just be relocated to all of the fire departments that saved these homes.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, jmohme said:

The day after we were asked to evacuate, I had to head out to a job for a week. I got home Monday evening and went into town for the first time since the runaway fire yesterday.

I hear that there is a full investigation into what happened, but any idiot knows that you don't light the woods on fire on a dry windy day. Texas Parks and Wildlife just plain fucked up and should be held accountable.

But that is not why I Brought this thread back to life. I wanted to call out the outstanding fire fighters that worked through the night and into the next day. Their work ensured that not a single family lost their homes.  On my trip into town on highway 21, I saw a lot of burned pines and grassy areas. many burned within a few feet of peoples homes, but were held back by the work of these brave firefighters. 

Just amazing work and they should be recognized for what they did. 

In fact, I would be thrilled if the funding Texas Parks and Wildlife folks in this county would just be relocated to all of the fire departments that saved these homes.

In my youth I was a Forest Fire Fighter for the state of Wa. We stayed on fires 24/7 until they were out. Sleep wherever you could. eating very old C-Rations. Fun times for a youth of 16 or 17.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:24 PM, Batesmotel said:

Fry the idiot.

We had a fire at Camp Williams called the Machine Gun fire. Guess how it started. 5000 acres burned. 16,000 evacuated. Homes, outbuildings, fences and cars burned. All off base. Not counting damage on base. During an extreme fire danger warning (Red Flag on base). 12% humidity. High winds. 

Some overly Gung Ho National Guard commander wasn’t going to let a little thing like a Red Flag alert stop him from seeing his boys shoot up the sagebrush.

They should have roasted him in his own mess. 

If he was the commander, he should have ordered the fire to stand down.

• Haha 2

Back in 84 at my remote Alaska cabin, an Air Force Captain and his wife were building a cabin nearby. It was late April and no spring rain yet. Last years 6' tall grass was brown and dry as a bone. She decided to build a small fire and cook some hotdogs. Yeah, it didn't stay small for long. My buddy and I were out hiking when all this started. The first thing we saw was a column of smoke and then the fire fighting chopper showed up. We RAN back towards the cabin. By the time we got there we could see flames in the woods near my property line. I was clearing a fire trail around my cabin. The chopper flying over was dumping buckets of water. In my youth I was a member of the first Helitack Crew in western Wa. I started giving the pilot signals that I wanted a water drop around my place. He circled, banking, looking down at me from low elevation. He signaled me to get out of the way. I ducked under the eaves and he gave me the drop I so badly wanted, all the way around the cabin. They had a crew in the woods stringing hose from a creek a quarter mile away. Thankfully they got the fire under control. The chopper landed in the pipeline corridor near my cabin, and I went over to talk with them. The pilot asked me where I, a civilian, learned chopper signals. I told him about my previous experience. It was a stressful experience, thinking for a while I was going to lose my cabin. Stupid Captain, and his even stupider old lady.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:42 PM, jmohme said:

I know **** happens, but whoever the fool was that gave the go ahead to proceed with the "controlled burn" need to lose his or her job!

I was riding my bike at a local park once as they were doing a controlled burn.  I thought nothing of it as I rode past the fire-people who were engrossed in socializing while they were supposed to be keeping the trail closed.  As I rode, I could see that a prescribed burn had taken place and the surrounding grass lands were smoldering.  As I rode out the other side, the group of fire-people closing the other end of the trail looked astonished that someone had ridden through the burn zone.   Doh.  I thought they were there because they had put out the fire, not because they were closing the trail. 

Maybe some of the people that let me ride into a controlled burn were transferred to Texas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

I was riding my bike at a local park once as they were doing a controlled burn.  I thought nothing of it as I rode past the fire-people who were engrossed in socializing while they were supposed to be keeping the trail closed.  As I rode, I could see that a prescribed burn had taken place and the surrounding grass lands were smoldering.  As I rode out the other side, the group of fire-people closing the other end of the trail looked astonished that someone had ridden through the burn zone.   Doh.  I thought they were there because they had put out the fire, not because they were closing the trail. 

Maybe some of the people that let me ride into a controlled burn were transferred to Texas. 

They were Bucking Foneheads apparently.

• Like 1