Merck Sells Its Federally Financed COVID Pill to US for 40 Times What It Costs to Produce

pipedreams

What a surprise!
"The mainstream fake news media hailed the news last week that Merck Corporation had discovered a drug treatment for the COVID virus.

This comes over a year after the discovery that hydroxychloroquine was successful in treating the coronavirus in its early stages and months after it was discovered the Ivermectin had amazing success in treating the coronavirus, especially in India.

Merck is not just giving their new drug away. The company is charging the US government 40 times what it costs to produce their new wonder drug.

It’s another win for Big Pharma"

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/10/update-merck-sells-federally-financed-covid-pill-us-40-times-costs-produce/?utm_source=Gab&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

"A FIVE-DAY COURSE of molnupiravir, the new medicine being hailed as a “huge advance” in the treatment of Covid-19, costs $17.74 to produce, according to a report issued last week by drug pricing experts at the Harvard School of Public Health and King’s College Hospital in London. Merck is charging the U.S. government $712 for the same amount of medicine, or 40 times the price.

Good government advocates are pointing out that because federal agencies spent at least $29 million on the drug’s development, the government has the obligation to ensure that the medicine is affordable. “The public funded this drug, and therefore the public has some rights, including the rights you have it available under reasonable terms,” said Luis Gil Abinader, senior researcher at Knowledge Ecology International."

https://theintercept.com/2021/10/05/covid-pill-drug-pricing-merck-ridgeback/

• Like 2

The actual production is under $18, but how much did it cost to research?  

Not everything is as simple as "it costs me $12 in parts and electricity to manufacture an item, but the equipment I used cost $50k, and it was a couple hundred man hours to perfect the design, plus dozens of prototypes for testing purposes..."

All anyone hears is the "it cost me $12 to make..."

Not defending them, but I don't trust anything posted online or in print because everyone always has an agenda to push.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Not everything is as simple as "it costs me $12 in parts and electricity to manufacture an item, but the equipment I used cost $50k, and it was a couple hundred man hours to perfect the design, plus dozens of prototypes for testing purposes..."

I work field service.

It costs an outrageous amount of money for me to show up at your site and fix something very complicated.  Or extremely simple. (we never know)  (I've traveled across the country,  showed up a 4am,  and flipped a latch closed.  "Works now.")

(And I've never ever skiffed on the site guys.  I'll provide a twenty paragraph report, to the managers,  of everything I did,  and now it's operating correctly.)

And, no, extremely little of that is going into my pocket.

• Like 2

Did anyone read the part about the government (tax payers) spending $29 million in the development and now again going to pay for a mark up of 40 times. 

Good government advocates are pointing out that because federal agencies spent at least $29 million on the drug’s development, the government has the obligation to ensure that the medicine is affordable.

15 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Not defending them, but I don't trust anything posted online or in print because everyone always has an agenda to push.

Reportedly the taxpayers paid for the research…