Google Lens

Swampfox762

So...Picked up my phone last night, and on the "Google Search bar", right next to the little "Microphone", there was a new..."Little Camera" icon that wasn't there before.  My wife and my best friend don't have this little Camera Icon on their Google search bar.  I looked up on how to disable the damn new intrusive thing and of course the instructions don't work for MY android phone, so there the little bastard still sits.

I look at this new little invasive thing that has been PUT on my phone as a possible very dangerous thing.  It's all advertised as a "Faster way to make your life easier" etc, etc, etc.  Does anyone else have this on their Android Phone??  Did it just "Show up" one day like mine?  I wonder what would happen if you pointed at a persons face?  Would it Identify the person?  

Any Opinions??

"Identify Plants, Animals and MORE"????  Sorry, I just don't like the sound of this "Friendly App"...

Screenshot Image Screenshot Image Screenshot Image Screenshot Image

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

So...Picked up my phone last night, and on the "Google Search bar", right next to the little "Microphone", there was a new..."Little Camera" icon that wasn't there before.  My wife and my best friend don't have this little Camera Icon on their Google search bar.  I looked up on how to disable the damn new intrusive thing and of course the instructions don't work for MY android phone, so there the little bastard still sits.

I look at this new little invasive thing that has been PUT on my phone as a possible very dangerous thing.  It's all advertised as a "Faster way to make your life easier" etc, etc, etc.  Does anyone else have this on their Android Phone??  Did it just "Show up" one day like mine?  I wonder what would happen if you pointed at a persons face?  Would it Identify the person?  

Any Opinions??

"Identify Plants, Animals and MORE"????  Sorry, I just don't like the sound of this "Friendly App"...

Screenshot Image  Screenshot Image Screenshot Image

This might be the answer.

Do you have the desktop version of Google search on you phone rather than the mobile version?

"The camera icon won’t show up in the search bar when you open up images.google.com on mobile. To get it, you’ll need to load the desktop version on your mobile device."

On 2nd though you said Google Lens. so that another animal.

Lens can be used for many things such as save a business card to your contacts, add events to your calendar from a poster, and copy and paste complicated codes or long paragraphs into your phone to save time.  Or on the other side it could do evil just like so many thing we use.  I guess the important thing is you are aware it's there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, crockett said:

As I said a day ago: don't update your phone.

I haven't.  And, I've got auto updates off.  Somehow, It just added the "Lens" Icon next to the microphone Icon sometime yesterday afternoon.  I fixed it.  Put Duck Duck Go Search Bar on and trashed the google search bar...

• Like 1

Google Lens in Pixel's Assistant can now recognize famous people. Google Lens in Pixel smartphones is now able to recognize photos and depictions of well-known people like actresses, celebrities, and politicians. It's not clear when the ability to recognize celebrities was added to Lens in Google Assistant.

I wonder if it can "recognize" lets say...just Normal people...

• Sad 1

IF, and I say IF  the .gov was ever able to put all the information that is "available out there" together in one site for themselves...what would be the result... (.gov is so f'ed up they could never do that....OR COULD THEY?)

Probably the POLITICIANS would never allow their "s**t" to be assembled...

Friends don't let friends Google.

Set you search engine to Duck Duck GO. Place the search widget on the home screen where Google is. You will probably never notice any difference.  Life is good, and you get some semblance of privacy back. At least you aren't contributing to the Google machine that owns everything it can steal from you and sell it to the highest bidder.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Friends don't let friends Google.

Set you search engine to Duck Duck GO. Place the search widget on the home screen where Google is. You will probably never notice any difference.  Life is good, and you get some semblance of privacy back. At least you aren't contributing to the Google machine that owns everything it can steal from you and sell it to the highest bidder.

Yup. Stickin that ****** thing on my phone.  Replaced with DDG.  Screw google.  Really, they're a virus on humanity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Yup. Stickin that ****** thing on my phone.  Replaced with DDG.  Screw google.  Really, they're a virus on humanity.

While you're at it, try the DDG browser for Android. Sadly they haven't put one out for Windows. You will have to go in and pull up every site you visit and bookmark it. Sadly, again, they don't allow you to import bookmarks and passwords. They again there may be a reason. It will store just like the others.

Bare bones, no cool backgrounds or the like, but it works. You can have a light or dark theme though. 😆

• Thanks 1