A1C

Ricordo

Had to go to ER yesterday. Feeling "zombie". Actually, feeling like that for the last three weeks, ever since the really bad malaise and hot-to-touch sore throat started. No other symptoms. None. The best way that I can describe "feeling zombie" is that you look at things through a haze of distorted time and space. Like a third you is also looking at whatever it is you are looking at. Sort of like the Saving Private Ryan Omaha beach scene.

Diagnosis. Hyperglycemia and dehydration. Which turns out to be related. Prescription for now, drink lots and lots of water. As explained by Dr. Cotton (wonderful physician) hydration equals dilution. And age doesn't help either. Glucose at 216 after eating a Chicken Ranch Club sandwich two hours earlier at Shelly's Cafe. 

Which leads to the A1C thing. It's supposed to be a simple blood test that measures your average blood sugar levels over the past 3 months. The big question that I have is. with one blood test where is that data over the past three months stored? Is there a data bank ingrained in our blood? How exactly does that simple blood test retrieves that 3-month history? Is that some sort of a bio-chemical database?

The Dr. believes that I caught the C-thing. And that the test done two weeks ago was a false negative. Go figure.

So there you have it. If you are feeling "zombie", you might be hyperglycemic and dehydrated. 

• Like 1

From what I understand is that the A1C test samples red blood cells that pick up glucose.

Because the RBCs have about a 3 month life span before being eliminated in the liver, the A1C is a pretty good reading for average sugar level.

I imagine there's more to it, but that's what I've learned.

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/managing-blood-sugar/a1c.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

So there you have it. If you are feeling "zombie", you might be hyperglycemic and dehydrated.

Now I kinda wish I hadn't shot all those people ambling aimlessly around the park.

I could have just given them water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, misterfox said:

From what I understand is that the A1C test samples red blood cells that pick up glucose.

Because the RBCs have about a 3 month life span before being eliminated in the liver, the A1C is a pretty good reading for average sugar level.

I imagine there's more to it, but that's what I've learned.

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/managing-blood-sugar/a1c.html

That makes sense. Thank you so much.

Btw, another tidbit. My neutrophils were way up there two weeks ago, still high yesterday-73.4 & 7.03.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

Most Americans are chronically dehydrated.   We drink a lot of soda, coffee, super sweet tea.

Not as much water as needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Historian said:

Most Americans are chronically dehydrated.   We drink a lot of soda, coffee, super sweet tea.

Not as much water as needed.

I like my sugar with coffee. I know...ice cream at night, pastries...

Problem with me is that I've been hypoglycemic without diabetes since I was 10-12. It's a very thin line, as I've found out, between going hypo to hyper. And age doesn't help (68). And then there's a thing called hyperhydrated which can knock out athletes, which I'm not.  :599c64365a11b_brickwall:

• Like 2

Couple years ago I felt that way, I assumed that my blood sugar levels must be off, but didn't want to go to the doctors.

So I bought a Continuous Glucose Monitoring system on eBay with a used receiver and new sensors, read up on all the info, and planted that sensor into my belly.

It gives you readings every 5 minutes or so, sends them to your phone and you can watch your blood sugar curve in real time on an app. The app comes with alarm settings and all.

I found out - by myself - that I'm pre-diabetic.

I managed to get my spikes back into the normal zone by adjusting my lifestyle (more exercise at certain times, eating more meals spread out which are now smaller, staying away from refined sugar or anything with very high carbs as much as possible).

Obviously you are supposed to go to a doctor and get a prescription, but I don't want anything on my medical record. I'm already paying way too much for my health insurance and I'm sick and tired of being milked for those that never paid into the system!

The sensor stays in your belly 24/7, looks like this:

image.jpeg.d35c46090fc8adbc858c49e479035292.jpeg

App:

Diabetes CGM Mobile Apps & Software | Dexcom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, crockett said:

Continuous Glucose Monitoring system

Thank you. Been thinking about that.

Only problem with me is that I have a beam-me-up-Scotty phone for which I recharge the battery every six months or so. There might be a way around that.

Probably will go to the old fashioned prick-me-up-Captain system.  I don't mind a little blood ever since the Walther PPs and the PPKs did their magic on me.

Thing is, I have to adjust my diet. Btw, please define the term "exercise". 🙃 I'm 6' and regularly 194 lbs. I earned my belly. 😉

That being said, I walk frequently. Every time I smoke a cigarette, I get up, go outside and when I'm finished, walk back to where I was. I figger I walk at least a mile every day. 😁

For now, it's lots of water, way more than usual. Kidneys and liver are doing well. Today, it's drink-yourself-until-drowning day.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

Thank you. Been thinking about that.

Only problem with me is that I have a beam-me-up-Scotty phone for which I recharge the battery every six months or so. There might be a way around that.

Probably will go to the old fashioned prick-me-up-Captain system.  I don't mind a little blood ever since the Walther PPs and the PPKs did their magic on me.

Thing is, I have to adjust my diet. Btw, please define the term "exercise". 🙃 I'm 6' and regularly 194 lbs. I earned my belly. 😉

That being said, I walk frequently. Every time I smoke a cigarette, I get up, go outside and when I'm finished, walk back to where I was. I figger I walk at least a mile every day. 😁

For now, it's lots of water, way more than usual. Kidneys and liver are doing well.

Lost case lol

• Haha 2