Commercial Space Flight/Tourism - Richard Branson

inthefrey

Technically Speaking, Richard Branson's spacecraft did not pass The Kármán line, 100 km (62 miles) above the ground. His spacecraft only made it to 52 miles today. However, everyone is claiming he made it into "Space". 

I watched the show from beginning to end. Yes, the spacecraft and technology are getting better. Very glad everyone made it home safe.

image.png.19de4b088f549ac2892af6f84b8f9e31.png

Save yourself the pain of the PC talk, Stephen Colbert and skip to 41:00. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched it live myself and I agree, its just another zero g flight for a couple minutes. Zero g flights have been around for decades. No way in hell would I pay a 1/4 million for a ticket. I consider this to be a huge waste of fuel. Watch the stock fall next week because it was an underwhelming PR stunt with a lacking and lagging live stream.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

First zero-g line of coke?

FIRST!!!

I've occasionally wondered what couple will get the trophy for the first "getting busy" in space. Do astronauts on the International Space Station get " alone time "  with a private link to their spouses on Earth? I mean, if Branson is only offering 1-4 minutes of Zero-G.... Okay "FULL STOP" ?? ?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, inthefrey said:

I've occasionally wondered what couple will get the trophy for the first "getting busy" in space.

I'm sure it's already been done.  To many long-term campers up there.  Whether scientifically, or just fun? 

"What's that patch for?"

"Oh. I forget."

• Haha 3

Does the  EPA  know about this? Looks like a lot of air pollution for a joy ride to me! Needs a catastrophic  converter or something. I see why he sneaks back to earth gliding so nobody catches him. Ban Richard Branson!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'm sure it's already been done.  To many long-term campers up there.  Whether scientifically, or just fun? 

"What's that patch for?"

"Oh. I forget."

Without getting too graphic, I wonder how they would "contain:" all that fun in zero gravity?

Either way, Branson is a liberal piece of ****.

- In March 2015, Branson said that almost all drug use should be decriminalised in the UK.

- Branson has supported continuing British membership of the European Union and was opposed to the 2016 referendum.

- Branson endorsed Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in the run-up for the 2016 US presidential election.

He's a dumbass show-off with his half-assed ""space"" flight claim.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, crockett said:

- In March 2015, Branson said that almost all drug use should be decriminalised in the UK.

- Branson has supported continuing British membership of the European Union and was opposed to the 2016 referendum.

- Branson endorsed Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in the run-up for the 2016 US presidential election.

Yes, Agree with everything above. However, sometimes even an egotistical billionaire show off can devise technology, or have the money to pay engineers to devise the technology, that can be useful to everyone. For example, the rocket motor that he uses to get his space plane close to space, is basically burning car tires (rubber) oxidized by NO2.

????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RocketMotorTwo

30 minutes ago, inthefrey said:

Yes, Agree with everything above. However, sometimes even an egotistical billionaire show off can devise technology, or have the money to pay engineers to devise the technology, that can be useful to everyone. For example, the rocket motor that he uses to get his space plane close to space, is basically burning car tires (rubber) oxidized by NO2.

????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RocketMotorTwo

Keep in mind, they started with the Virgin Galactic project 17 years ago. Branson had originally hoped to see the maiden flight in 2009. The original idea was to bring people from point A to B, through space, not from point A to A, with a 3 minute spike into zero g.

I think Branson realized that he is running out of time at age 70 and just wanted to get that "I made it into space" off his billionaire's bucket list.

No matter how you look at space travel, you will need to get into space, remain in space, and re-enter. In order to overcome gravity you will need massive amounts of fuel. For every kg moved into space, you need 6 kg of rocket fuel. Obviously the vast amount of weight is the fuel itself, followed by the spaceship. Our little bodies are not worth the massive effort and cost. This form of travel is not sustainable from any perspective and would be banned if it would ever pick up, due to the exorbitant amount of emissions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, inthefrey said:

I've occasionally wondered what couple will get the trophy for the first "getting busy" in space. Do astronauts on the International Space Station get " alone time "  with a private link to their spouses on Earth? I mean, if Branson is only offering 1-4 minutes of Zero-G.... Okay "FULL STOP" ?? ?

There supposedly is a “Mile High Club” for those involved… during more prosaic flying. 

7 hours ago, crockett said:

Truth sir...