07-09-21: Site Update News & Feedback

Eric

• Administrators

OK, the update once again seems to have been successful. I'd appreciate it if you all would contact me immediately if you post to a thread and the last poster/post times don't update and the thread doesn't go to the top of the forum index. That's what happened last night. Also, if you post in a thread and then find the content you already posted still populating the post reply form. Thanks.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Until I have a better idea of what broke the updated site last night, I am going to turn off most of the new features. I can activate them one by one later, once this updated system settles in.

• Like 1

• Eric pinned this topic
  • Administrators

If any of you experience any issues here, I'd appreciate it if the first thing you did was to clear your browser history, restart your browser and log back into the site. Don't do this if you are not sure of your password though. You can try the password lookup tool, but sending email right now is hit-and-miss.

Could one of our tech-savvy members maybe post some information on how to clear broswer history on different platforms, for those that might not know how? I've got a bunch of other things to tackle right now. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, crockett said:

I really like that quoted images are now partly hidden. Nothing is more annoying than looking at 10 pictures in one single post, and 3 people quoting it, forcing your to scroll through 240 yards of the same images.

Yeah, they could get pretty ungainly before.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Just a reminder: You can now change how thread links in forum indexes work. They currently take you to the start of a thread when you click on the title link. You can click on the icon to the left of the title and be taken to the first unread post. You now have a setting in your member account settings to change the title link to go to the first unread post, the last post or the start of the thread. Just click on your user name in the upper-left corner of the site and click on Account Settings.

contentview.png.2cdeca8df1eedec8e6f7467e5d801f38.png

• Like 2

Just now, Eric said:

Well, that can't be good. :biggrin:

Quote button works, too.  :pepper:

Search took as long  as one would expect, especially for content in heavily-populated threads.

The power of relational databases.  :snoopy:

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, tous said:

Quote button works, too.  :pepper:

Search took as long  as one would expect, especially for content in heavily-populated threads.

The power of relational databases.  :snoopy:

There is a backup running right now. It is a lot larger job than normal because I had a bunch of incremental backups that I made during the update. The site is running amazingly well, considering the load that job is causing.

• Like 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, tous said:

Will there be a feature to choose the theme (colors for stuff?)

Not a huge fan of the pale green, but I can live with it if it's a big change.

At least it isn't orange.  :biggrin:

But I added the green just for you and no, there will probably not be a color changer system. At least, not right now. Before I could do that, I would have to rebuild my logo so it could be rendered over any color background and I don't have time to mess with it right now. Maybe later.

• Like 1

• Administrators

OK, I am going to cautiously declare that this software update has been a success. I'm going to leave it running and see how it does.

Pleaase post any problems you spot, gripes you've got, feedback, suggestions, etc here in this thread. Thanks.

• Like 1

• Eric unpinned this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic