Spelling

Mrs Glockrunner

5 hours ago, Mrs Glockrunner said:

unnamed (10).png

I see perverted text more and more from people dictating to "speech to text" programs.  Then these would be authors don't go back to edit what the program thought it heard/mistook from what was said, as a result of poor enunciation.

My only conclusion is that they are more interested in the "word count" than in the accuracy and correctness of grammar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, janice6 said:

I see perverted text more and more from people dictating to "speech to text" programs.  Then these would be authors don't go back to edit what the program thought it heard/mistook from what was said, as a result of poor enunciation.

My only conclusion is that they are more interested in the "word count" than in the accuracy and correctness of grammar.

I agree.  It takes just a matter of seconds to read through your text to make sure it is correct.  Once in a while I'll goof and something goes through, but I will immediately send another text correcting what I meant.  I honestly think some people don't know the correct spelling, or the correct phrase, or the correct punctuation.  Seems like most of the youth today are too lazy or they just don't care.  It is sad.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, if we are b$%^&ing about spelling and grammar issues, I'm being driven mad by the misuse of the word "of" where "have" belongs.  It is NOT "I would of gone to the party..."  It is "I would have gone to the party..."  It is NEVER "would of, or could of, or should of". It is "would have/would've, could have/could've, should have/should've."  This mistake is showing up in novels I'm reading, and all I can say is GET A REAL EDITOR, DAMN IT! because it throws me right out of the story every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Well, if we are b$%^&ing about spelling and grammar issues, I'm being driven mad by the misuse of the word "of" where "have" belongs.  It is NOT "I would of gone to the party..."  It is "I would have gone to the party..."  It is NEVER "would of, or could of, or should of". It is "would have/would've, could have/could've, should have/should've."  This mistake is showing up in novels I'm reading, and all I can say is GET A REAL EDITOR, DAMN IT! because it throws me right out of the story every time.

It is funny how we all have our pet peeves about stuff.  One of mine is the use of there, they're, & their.  I have others as well, but that's the biggest one.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Paul53 said:

The top line was also the tittle of a very entertaining book on the subject in years past.

Despite what you've seen on this forum.  I was actually, at one time, a skilled copy editor (one of my majors in journalism was editing) and i got pretty good at editing.

However, the great writer Steven King once wrote, "Writing is like doing push ups.  The more you do the better you get at it."

Even though i worked for a 100,000 circulation newspaper part-time for almost ten years....I've lost the skill.

In fact, real editing, is really an art.

It's the ability to see the mistakes in this...only reduced to one word.

reading fb.PNG

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1