The Unthinkable Cruelty and Inhumanity of the Coerced Shutdown

gwalchmai

Other perspectives:

https://www.aier.org/article/the-unthinkable-cruelty-and-inhumanity-of-the-coerced-shutdown/

The seen is the empty restaurants; that, or restaurants reduced to a fraction of their former capacity in the form of curbside takeout. The unseen is, among other things, the brutality endured by the suppliers of those restaurants.

More at link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the article;

" On Wednesday of this week a prominent oyster provider for D.C. area restaurants was forced to let 350+ workers go. Readers can likely imagine that more than a few lack any kind of familial safety net. It’s also not unreasonable to guess that many won’t be receiving a $1,200 check on account of the under-the-table nature of their employment."

Maybe they can live on their savings from where they banked all of their tax money that they should have paid.

:headscratch:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The article describes but part of the **** sandwich most of us are biting into right now.  Those that are paying for the "stimulus" won't be getting a check, themselves.  My kids (being selfish young gun collectors) heard about the amounts and were ecstatic.  They were not pleased when told, that no, we are not in the pool of receivers.

Retirement plans are decimated, incomes are crumbling.  Here's a picture of mine.  It just is what it is.  My half of our income is tied directly to the price of oil.

With oil prices falling down through the gates of hell, there are many formerly well-paid folks that have no jobs.  Unfortunately, there has been a spate suicides in the oil industry.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.49.46 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

The article describes but part of the **** sandwich most of us are biting into right now.  Those that are paying for the "stimulus" won't be getting a check, themselves.  My kids (being selfish young gun collectors) heard about the amounts and were ecstatic.  They were not pleased when told, that no, we are not in the pool of receivers.

Retirement plans are decimated, incomes are crumbling.  Here's a picture of mine.  It just is what it is.  My half of our income is tied directly to the price of oil.

With oil prices falling down through the gates of hell, there are many formerly well-paid folks that have no jobs.  Unfortunately, there has been a spate suicides in the oil industry.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.49.46 PM.png

Same boat here. Getting nothing, portfolio's hurt, and I owe the IRS a big check.

However, I wouldn't trade places with anyone anywhere else. And I'm still voting for Trump in 2020.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Feature all of the studies and models and opinion that you wish.

I have no respect for problem identifiers.

I have nothing but respect for problem solvers.

My people all understood that when they came to my office and said, I have a problem, thy had better have two or three plans to solve it or they didn't work for me for long.

It takes no skill, limited intelligence and very little effort to notice an elephant in the room.

It takes dedication, effort, work and creativity to get the elephant out of the room.

Give me those people and we can do anything.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Why won't you guys be getting checks ?

I read this as almost everybody will get one or did I miss something or you in some special category?

I am certainly expecting one and will be wholely pissed if I don't.

https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2020/coronavirus-stimulus-checks.html

Social Security recipients eligible

AARP worked to ensure that individuals who are collecting Social Security benefits for retirement, disability or Supplemental Security Income will be eligible for the stimulus checks, based on their tax returns or Social Security Administration data. AARP successfully fought to guarantee that low-income Social Security recipients will receive the full $1,200 check, not $600 as originally proposed.

If you are receiving Social Security benefits but didn’t file taxes in 2018 or 2019, you will be eligible to receive a stimulus check without a tax return based on data available to the IRS from your annual Social Security benefits statement. The government will send you a direct deposit or check using the information from your Form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement or your Form RRB-1099 Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statement. You will not have to file a 2019 tax return to get a stimulus check. "

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i`m sorry a Global Virus Pandemic has Hurt Non Tax paying workers who have made themselves ineligible for a tax based Refund...

perhaps their Employers would like to reimburse them with some of the Payroll Tax savings they have Accrued....

I believe that I read that if you don't file and pay taxes when a check is cut for you, you can keep it without having to give it back and since you don't pay taxes, the IRS can't even withhold it for reimbursement.

That was posted on this site.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tous said:

Feature all of the studies and models and opinion that you wish.

I have no respect for problem identifiers.

I have nothing but respect for problem solvers.

My people all understood that when they came to my office and said, I have a problem, thy had better have two or three plans to solve it or they didn't wok for me for long.

It takes no skill, limited intelligence and very little effort o notice an elephant in the room.

It takes dedication, effort, work and creativity to get the elephant out of the room.

Give me those people and we can do anything.

:number1:

26 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Same boat here. Getting nothing, portfolio's hurt, and I owe the IRS a big check.

However, I wouldn't trade places with anyone anywhere else. And I'm still voting for Trump in 2020.

I don't consider it a hurt until I sell.  The last few days my stocks have gone up $11,000 per day.  It's getting so close to ratcheting up that one has to be careful to not miss the opportunity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

What he said.

I'm in for at least another 13 years of work. We can beat this and be stronger.

What I want to know is how is China going to be held accountable for any of this.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Historian said:

What I want to know is how is China going to be held accountable for any of this.

Never.

The Chinese communists have bought every aspect of American society: the schools, the governments, the media, both commercial and social.

Why do you think that colleges fall all over themselves to get grants from China?

Why do you think that government officlals, both federal and state, go from office to China's front companies and organizations?

Because China wants it that way.

They won't stop because they have paid everyone that might stop them to not stop them.

They see us as a large collection of whores, and they know our price.

:sigh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, tous said:

Never.

The Chinese communists have bought every aspect of American society: the schools, the governments, the media, both commercial and social.

Why do you think that colleges fall all over themselves to get grants from China?

Why do you think that government officlals, both federal and state, go from office to China's front companies and organizations?

Because China wants it that way.

They won't stop because they have paid everyone that might stop them to not stop them.

They see us as a large collection of whores, and they know our price.

:sigh:

It's hard to face the truth.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tous said:

Never.

Exactly.

Thousands of years of history (not that anyone listens to a historian) and we will fail because of our political correctness as well as human desire.

The fall of Rome shall repeat.

As the Russians say...history does not repeat but it does ryme.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1