The Unthinkable Cruelty and Inhumanity of the Coerced Shutdown

gwalchmai

I'm still working, considered essential. (That makes me laugh)

About a quarter of my family are not.

About half of my friends are not working, many own businesses that are shut down.

We had three properties in development, smaller scale investments, all that is on hold. Tenants are already backing out of one and on hold on the other two.

One of the banks is putting a hold on the funding because they have had so much withdrawn from savings in the last two weeks. (Heard that through the grapevine, no official reason was given)

It can look dire in the context of recent past and even looking forward two months, farther out it is holding, not recovery.

I'm taking a look at one year out, five years out, ten, etc. and the only way it is dire is if the democan'ts win in November. If Trump wins and R's hold the Senate and gain the house our economy is coming back like gangbusters.

I'll be watching it myself and using cash on hand to buy where I think it makes sense, this little dip could guild my toilet with gold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Historian said:

Exactly.

Thousands of years of history (not that anyone listens to a historian) and we will fail because of our political correctness as well as human desire.

The fall of Rome shall repeat.

As the Russians say...history does not repeat but it does ryme.

History doesn’t repeat, patterns repeat

• Like 2

And here is another moronic thing.  We ARE getting a check.  My husband works and I stay on the farm and homeschool the kids (so none of the work I do is paid), but we file a joint tax return, obviously.  There is a $500 per kid bonus added to the check, which almost makes up for the amount of money we lose from being over the threshold where they start subtracting $ for every $100 earned over their cutoff point.  We are looking at $2100, according to the internet (so I take that with a grain of salt, but I needed an estimate from somewhere).  And... my husband is still working, still getting his regular paycheck.  He has lost out on an approx net of $10K for jobs that were cancelled, but that's project money for us for the farm - we live on his regular paycheck, and all the projects can wait another year without putting us in a hole.  How many people like us are they sending checks to?  People who aren't seriously hurting financially from the shutdown (admittedly that is partly because we've planned and prepped for this sort of thing for 25 years, but there have to be other people in our condition)?  Why didn't they write their "bailout" to help only those who actually lost jobs, or significant income, during this quarantine?  Or to companies for expenses they have even when the gov't has shut them down for over a month?  it just seems less than efficient or effective to me, and I cannot see a way to fix it now.  (Or to fix it in any way as long as that drunken twatwaffle Pelosi is still in office, or any of her dhimmicrat cronies).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

And here is another moronic thing.  We ARE getting a check.  My husband works and I stay on the farm and homeschool the kids (so none of the work I do is paid), but we file a joint tax return, obviously.  There is a $500 per kid bonus added to the check, which almost makes up for the amount of money we lose from being over the threshold where they start subtracting $ for every $100 earned over their cutoff point.  We are looking at $2100, according to the internet (so I take that with a grain of salt, but I needed an estimate from somewhere).  And... my husband is still working, still getting his regular paycheck.  He has lost out on an approx net of $10K for jobs that were cancelled, but that's project money for us for the farm - we live on his regular paycheck, and all the projects can wait another year without putting us in a hole.  How many people like us are they sending checks to?  People who aren't seriously hurting financially from the shutdown (admittedly that is partly because we've planned and prepped for this sort of thing for 25 years, but there have to be other people in our condition)?  Why didn't they write their "bailout" to help only those who actually lost jobs, or significant income, during this quarantine?  Or to companies for expenses they have even when the gov't has shut them down for over a month?  it just seems less than efficient or effective to me, and I cannot see a way to fix it now.  (Or to fix it in any way as long as that drunken twatwaffle Pelosi is still in office, or any of her dhimmicrat cronies).

You may be applying incorrect logic. If you see the bailout as a means of helping people some of the decisions are hard to understand. OTOH, if you see it as a means to buy votes and reward cronies/contributors it makes more sense.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

You may be applying incorrect logic. If you see the bailout as a means of helping people some of the decisions are hard to understand. OTOH, if you see it as a means to buy votes and reward cronies/contributors it makes more sense.

Or as cover to pass the rest of the spending

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

They want people to spend that money instead of saving it so that it will “ jump start “ the economy. As long as anybody spends it, it has served it’s purpose.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I wonder just how much help that check really is if you've been laid off and anticipate a month at least.

$1200 doesn't make much of any difference compared to your bills.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

I wonder just how much help that check really is if you've been laid off and anticipate a month at least.

$1200 doesn't make much of any difference compared to your bills.

If I were Nike,  I'd release the next big Kapernick shoe exactly right now.

• Haha 2