What Rifle Do You Want Just Because

DrB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 5:48 AM, Green Dragoon said:

Anschutz model 54.  It was my first firearm.  I shot small-bore match with it when I was a kid.  I had to sell it during my college-expense years and I'd like another just for sentiment sake. 

Guy at the range had one of those when I was there one day.  Nice rifle.

• Like 2

Another one I want is a Winchester Model 12 Trap shotgun.  My grandfather had one in excellent condition with the original case.  I took care of it when he got sick before he passed away.  I did not get that.  I got his Model 12, 20 gauge with a solid vent rib. Well worn from him hunting pheasants and wabbits.  I added a lot of wear and love to it myself in the ensuing years so I guess I made out.  Every time I pull nit out I remember him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

454 Casull lever action with a matching revolver. Can be loaded up or loaded down and can even use 45 Colt. I don't see these being obtainable for some time. Maybe in a couple of years.

Just something on my list that I wish I already had but thought motorcycles would be a good idea. LOL

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 3

On 6/27/2020 at 9:04 PM, Nestor said:

Pristine model 92 with 16" barrel and chambered in .357... just because.

Have the Rossi model 92 stainless in 357. Nice complement to 357 revolver. Think this rifle and a brace of Ruger New Vaquero also in 357 would qualify for some subdivision of the cowboy action shooting sport. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

454 Casull lever action with a matching revolver. Can be loaded up or loaded down and can even use 45 Colt. I don't see these being obtainable for some time. Maybe in a couple of years.

Just something on my list that I wish I already had but thought motorcycles would be a good idea. LOL

Rossi offered its model 92 in 454 Casull at one time. They show up on GunBroker once in awhile. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, railfancwb said:

I’ve seen a how-to book about converting double barrel shotgun into double rifle. Think an overseas manufacturer is offering its 12 gauge shotgun converted to 45-70. 

A lot of double rifles are made on 12-20 gauge actions. 

And I’m not aware or any American made mass produced doubles. Pretty much everything made here is full custom. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 7:59 PM, DrB said:

Guy at the range had one of those when I was there one day.  Nice rifle.

Yeah.  I keep on searching for one and I'll pick it up when I can.  The problem is that I need a left-handed one.  When I was a kid, I had to special order that.  They were being imported and distributed by Savage back then.  

On 7/22/2020 at 6:45 AM, Green Dragoon said:

Yeah.  I keep on searching for one and I'll pick it up when I can.  The problem is that I need a left-handed one.  When I was a kid, I had to special order that.  They were being imported and distributed by Savage back then.  

I am lefty also.  I shoot-ight handed bolt actions though.  Been reaching over the bolt all my life, it is ingrained in my mind.  Think I would suck shooting a left handed rifle this late in the game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 2:48 AM, Green Dragoon said:

Anschutz model 54.  It was my first firearm.  I shot small-bore match with it when I was a kid.  I had to sell it during my college-expense years and I'd like another just for sentiment sake. 

I have an Anschütz Super Match 54 Olympic rifle that I shot smallbore target with. I believe it was made in 1962 or 1963. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, blueiron said:

I have an Anschütz Super Match 54 Olympic rifle that I shot smallbore target with. I believe it was made in 1962 or 1963. 

very cool.....jealous.  I bought mine new in 1976 back when they were imported by Savage Arms.  It was a custom order because it was left-handed.  

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 6:08 PM, DrB said:

I am lefty also.  I shoot-ight handed bolt actions though.  Been reaching over the bolt all my life, it is ingrained in my mind.  Think I would suck shooting a left handed rifle this late in the game.

The odd thing about my rifle is that the stock was left handed, but they still had a right-handed action.  I got used to reaching over for the bolt too.  Even as a lefty, rifles with the bolt on the left side look odd to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Dragoon said:

The odd thing about my rifle is that the stock was left handed, but they still had a right-handed action.  I got used to reaching over for the bolt too.  Even as a lefty, rifles with the bolt on the left side look odd to me.

Same with me.  I grew up with having to reach over the bolt, seemed natural to me as that was all I had.  First time I picked up a left handed rifle I said WTF is up with this, I can't do that.  Never looked at another left handed rifle.  Thing that got me is that I could be faster to cycle the bolt as my right hand held my rifle firm to my shoulder as I reached over the bolt with my left.  Always seemed normal to me........  Dave..

• Like 2

Model 444 150th Anniversary

Features:

• 444 Marlin
  • Specialized serial number
  • 8+1 capacity tubular magazine
  • Skinner ladder sights
  • C-Grade American black walnut pistol-grip stock
  • 24" half-octagon/half-round barrel
  • 40 1/2" long
  • 13 3/8" length of pull
  • 7 lbs. approximate weight

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/model-444-150th-anniversary

We're celebrating our 150th anniversary in the most powerful way possible. With the flat-shooting, hard-hitting 444 Marlin, now in an exclusive, limited-edition rifle worthy of the most discerning collectors. Custom-grade features include a 24" half-octagon/half-round barrel, engraved receiver with gold inlay, C-grade American black walnut stock and fore-end, historical checkering pattern, Skinner ladder sights, and special serial number – housed within its own commemorative box

.70550_444-Marlin-150th_right-profile.jpg

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Model 444 150th Anniversary

Features:

• 444 Marlin
  • Specialized serial number
  • 8+1 capacity tubular magazine
  • Skinner ladder sights
  • C-Grade American black walnut pistol-grip stock
  • 24" half-octagon/half-round barrel
  • 40 1/2" long
  • 13 3/8" length of pull

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/model-444-150th-anniversary

.70550_444-Marlin-150th_right-profile.jpg

How much?  I'm afraid to ask.... It does look nice.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DrB said:

How much?  I'm afraid to ask.... It does look nice.

I think it was about $1,800.  It's way out of my price range.  If they made an eight shot version that was field grade, I'd be all over it.  For $815, I can get the 22 inch barrel with a hunting legal four round magazine.

70540_MFC_444_1200px.pngOtherwise, since getting a higher capacity magazine is a weird requirement I have, since being attacked by a swarm of moose would be just my luck, I'd go for the 45/70 version at $972.

70480_1895CB_Right.png

Features:

• 45-70 Gov’t.
  • 9-shot tubular magazine
  • Lever action; side ejection; solid-top receiver; deeply blued metal surfaces; hammer block safety
  • American black walnut straight- grip stock; tough Mar- Shield finish
  • 26" tapered octagon barrel with deep-cut Ballard-type rifling (6 grooves)
  • 1:20" twist rate
  • Adjustable Marbles Arms semi-buckhorn rear sight and Marbles front sight post
  • 44 1/2" long
  • 13 3/8” length of pull

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895cb

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 2