What Rifle Do You Want Just Because

DrB

For me it's a .416 Rigby in an English Double.  Why I don't know but every time I see an article about the .416 my mind wants.  No need whatsoever but my mind keeps thinking.  What's yours??

Dave.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Historian said:

A World War One 1987 with bayonet would be nice too.

1987, I missed that War  Haha ,Think you meant 1917 there..

I had a bunch of WW1 rifles but they along with the rest are now at the bottom of the river.  My ex used the bayonets for tomato stakes so sadly they are gone also.

Dave..

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DrB said:

I had a bunch of WW1 rifles but they along with the rest are now at the bottom of the river.  My ex used the bayonets for tomato stakes so sadly they are gone also.

Dave..

For the shotty i meant 1897.  ?

Sad to hear about how she abused the knives and the river.  So many accidents involving water.

In all seriousness I had a buddy order a Mossin.   He looked at the tracking and it said freight underwater.

Seriously.   His rifle ended up in the drink during transport.

The rifle shoots like a stout Russian soldier.  Soldier wet, but strong like bull, smart like tractor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Historian said:

For the shotty i meant 1897.  ?

97 Winchester. I have several, oh sorry I mean I had......  My house sits on top of a river valley so a lot of accidents seem to happen with the river and me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrB said:

97 Winchester. I have several, oh sorry I mean I had......  My house sits on top of a river valley so a lot of accidents seem to happen with the river and me.

What...a shotgun that is.

Must have been hell in a trench.

• Like 1

They are something, with the bayonet.  I have many pieces parts and someday I want to put together a faux trench gun from the parts. No disconnector, hold the trigger back and rack the slide.. bang every time.

• Thanks 1

I love 416 Rigby. I have it in a Ruger #1.

What I would love to get into is unlimited class bench guns. Probably something in the 6mm-6.5mm range. The reloading is as important as shooting if not more. Trying to put three rounds in the same exact hole (no cloverleaf) is madness I can appreciate. 

• Thanks 1

If I had my druthers, I would like to have my old Deer rifle from when I was in school.  My father gave me an old beautiful Model 1886 Winchester.  I dearly loved that gun (no pun intended) but the ammo even back then was expensive in .33 Winchester.  But with a more prevalent caliber it would be sweet.  The action was a smooth as a sewing machine.  I dearly loved that gun.

But, when I got home from the Navy I found one of my sisters had given it to her boyfriend at the time and he had traded it for a pos 30-30.  She made my short list.  It wasn't all her fault, though I still blame her, but all my stuff that I had left at home was gone...…………….

I didn't have any roots but I guess that describes my family.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I love 416 Rigby. I have it in a Ruger #1.

I always wanted a #1 Tropical Rifle.  Still do.  Do you know what caliber they were offered in?  I do remember drooling over them in the gun shop but being young at the time, money only went so far.  Looking back, I should have eaten dog food for several months to get one.

Dave..

• Thanks 1

I'm not thinking of a "Dream Gun" where the price is no object,  I'm thinking of something that I might actually find in the real world at a price I could afford, like a Remington Rolling Block number 5 in original military configuration(with bayonet) in 7mm Mauser caliber. These guns are supposedly not to be used with modern ammo or they will develop headspace problems and what you're supposed to do is load them down and then fire-form your cases and neck-size only which would not be a problem.

5 rem1.jpg

• Like 5

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 5:19 PM, DrB said:

Dave..

The 1897 was the 1897 Winchester 12 gauge pump "Trench Gun" That was issued with a 20 inch barrel, bayonet, sling swivels,and a heat shield. Norinco made copies of them that wer real nice guns. I hve an a897 made in 1941 that is a take down and came with a 30 inch Goose gun barrel and I got a spare barrel for it and cut that barrel down to 20 inches and planned to make a trench gun out of it but nver got a round to it.

The gun is in perfect condition but it's been either bead blasted and blued or parkerized and someone put a recoil pad on it.

1897.JPG

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Borg warner said:

The 1897 was the 1897 Winchester 12 gauge pump "Trench Gun" That was issued with a 20 inch barrel, bayonet, sling swivels,and a heat shield. Norinco made copies of them that wer real nice guns. I hve an a897 made in 1941 that is a take down and came with a 30 inch Goose gun barrel and I got a spare barrel for it and cut that barrel down to 20 inches and planned to make a trench gun out of it but nver got a round to it.

The gun is in perfect condition but it's been either bead blasted and blued or parkerized and someone put a recoil pad on it.

1897.JPG

Nice shotgun. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 11:37 AM, DrB said:

Get out your check book.  A semi auto version can be had.  Sometimes here in Ohio we do have some cool companies.

Ohio Ordnance Works

Five large for a semi auto?  I guess I don't even want to know the price of a full auto. 

If I hit the Lottery, my first purchase will be a true B A R (after securing sufficient acreage for my compound).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eruby said:

Five large for a semi auto?  I guess I don't even want to know the price of a full auto. 

You and me both....  I wonder how long the waiting list is for the semi?  Would make a nice range toy.   Get on the list and let me know........

Dave..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eruby said:

If I hit the Lottery, my first purchase will be a true B A R (after securing sufficient acreage for my compound).

A couple years ago a Colt R75 Monitor went for $120,000+ at auction. That was Colts Commercial version that was sold to law enforcement and civilians. 

• Sad 1