What Rifle Do You Want Just Because

DrB

3 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

A couple years ago a Colt R75 Monitor went for $120,000+ at auction. That was Colts Commercial version that was sold to law enforcement and civilians. 

Well I may be sunk...  I sent Ohio Ordinance email on the semi about waiting times.  I am well within easy driving distance.  If they said by chance they had one, I'd be damn done sunk.  I have always wanted a BAR.  That may be my Holy Grail.  I'm my own worst enemy sometimes....  I need not start these threads. And yes I am serious on the inquiry. 

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Thanks 1

Just talking about rifles here huh?  For me I guess it would have to be a Thompson M1.  It was the very first FA I shot way back when I was 7.  Shooting guns like that at an early age means that I outgrew the FA fanbase fairly quick.  So yeah, while nowadays I feel FAs are boring and over rated, the M1 holds a place in my heart because it was my first one ever shot.  It would serve no practical purpose other than to just own it.  

Edited by Maser
  • Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 3:19 PM, DrB said:

For me it's a .416 Rigby in an English Double.  Why I don't know but every time I see an article about the .416 my mind wants.  No need whatsoever but my mind keeps thinking.  What's yours??

Dave.

Interesting choice.

416 is a classic choice, as is the double, but not together.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Interesting choice.

416 is a classic choice, as is the double, but not together.

I don't know about that, I would love to have this. John Rigby double rifle.  416/470 barrels. To each what he loves.

416 Rigbyy.jpg

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrB said:

I don't know about that, I would love to have this. John Rigby double rifle.  416/470 barrels. To each what he loves.

416 Rigbyy.jpg

I believe that was also the only rifle in 416 the original Rigby firm ever built.

Typically, double guns are chambered in rimmed cartridges, operating at low pressure.

There were of course a few people who didn't follow the rules, especially Indian Maharajas or American oil men, so you will see some older doubles chambered in odd calibers every once in a while. Today Merkel builds doubles in 308, 30-06, 375, and 416 among other traditional calibers.

I have a 9.3x74R, 45-70, 450-400 (400 Jeffery) and 8 bore.

I suppose my dream rifle would be an Adams & Co 577 BPE, top lever hammer gun, or a 8 Bore single shot on a jones underlever action.

33 minutes ago, DrB said:

416 Rigbyy.jpg

One look at that rifle and i hear Toto's Africa playing in the background.

DrB, hold my martini (drink)  I'm going to take a shot at that big Cape Buff over there!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AK_Stick said:

I believe that was also the only rifle in 416 the original Rigby firm ever built.

That is why I would love to have...  The rarest of the rare rifles.  Thanks for the info.  I learned a few things today.  Thanks

Dave..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Historian said:

DrB, hold my martini (drink)  I'm going to take a shot at that big Cape Buff over there!

Let me load up the 470 barrels just in case you miss.  Hold on I got to sit my Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic down for a moment. 

Dave..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrB said:

Let me load up the 470 barrels just in case you miss.  Hold on I got to sit my Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic down for a moment. 

Dave..

It will be good to have a witness when i lose my rifle due to an encounter with a rare white elephant. 

Right into a crocodile infested river.

• Like 1

I heard Historian is a man of unlimited wealth and he would gladly finance a adventure to the Land of Africa for us, all expenses paid including any classic Double Rifle  and ammo we want.  I'm in and I'll bring the Vodka and Gin. 

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DrB said:

I heard Historian is a man of unlimited wealth and he would gladly finance a adventure to the Land of Africa for us, all expenses paid including any classic Double Rifle  and ammo we want.  I'm in and I'll bring the Vodka and Gin. 

Dave..

Please allow me to introduce myself.  I am a man of wealth and taste.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, DrB said:

Now that is one cool rifle. What does the stock look like?  I'm jealous..

Dave..

It’s got wonderful figure, but is heavily oil soaked. As it dries and cleans up it’s getting much prettier. 

last photo is next to my 8 gauge shotgun that is awaiting new rifle barrels 

1C4113E1-193C-4383-94F8-3C9A943EF04A.jpeg

BF73E12E-B309-4490-8BC9-DF83D641F500.jpeg

447EB216-EF31-4F9F-A6E0-38C633FE960E.jpeg

F9D8823C-F78B-43EE-A8CD-B423CBE48A4F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AK_Stick said:

It’s got wonderful figure, but is heavily oil soaked. As it dries and cleans up it’s getting much prettier. 

last photo is next to my 8 gauge shotgun that is awaiting new rifle barrels 

1C4113E1-193C-4383-94F8-3C9A943EF04A.jpeg

BF73E12E-B309-4490-8BC9-DF83D641F500.jpeg

447EB216-EF31-4F9F-A6E0-38C633FE960E.jpeg

F9D8823C-F78B-43EE-A8CD-B423CBE48A4F.jpeg

Those are nice beautiful rifles.  Thanks...

Dave..

• Like 1