My wife sent me an article on social distancing. Should I be concerned?

minervadoe

38 minutes ago, Rellik said:

How bombproof is your pre-nup?

Pre-nup?  I was concerned she'd get me to start using the phrase "flattening the curve." She's an epidemiologist.  Drat.  Now I've used it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/03/13/why-everything-is-closing-for-coronavirus-its-called-flattening-the-curve/#2961898d6e2b

It’s called “flattening the curve.” And that’s exactly what it is when you see it visually. Here’s what is looks like in an illustration from Max Roser at Our World in Data, very similar to the figure in a recent Emerging Infectious Diseases study on social distancing to reduce pandemic influenza. 

flattening-the-curve-2-1536x1075.png

Edited by minervadoe
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, minervadoe said:

Pre-nup?  I was concerned she'd get me to start using the phrase "flattening the curve." She's an epidemiologist.  Drat.  Now I've used it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/03/13/why-everything-is-closing-for-coronavirus-its-called-flattening-the-curve/#2961898d6e2b

flattening-the-curve-2-1536x1075.png

The objective is to limit the spikes in new cases and spread them out over time so the public has little idea of what's going on.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The objective is to limit the spikes in new cases and spread them out over time so the public has little idea of what's going on.

I figured out,  all on my ownself, that the mass-cancellations are a good thing.

It's basically a cold virus, and everyone will (or won't) get it, sooner or later.

(I believe I had it.  And now I'm stronger.)

But the cancellations could prevent everyone from getting it all at once.

Which could be a healthcare / hospital disaster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

I figured out,  all on my ownself, that the mass-cancellations are a good thing.

It's basically a cold virus, and everyone will (or won't) get it, sooner or later.

(I believe I had it.  And now I'm stronger.)

But the cancellations could prevent everyone from getting it all at once.

Which could be a healthcare / hospital disaster.

True.  But it's being sold as an avoidance   and a prevention.  The "bug" is goon'a getcha if you don't watch out!

3 hours ago, minervadoe said:

My wife sent me an article on social distancing.  Should I be concerned?

Depending on how long you've been married this is directly proportional to the age of the relationship.

I figure in another 20 years I'll be as celibate as the pope.

• Like 3

It is odd that when a man gets to the age were he can relax, and the woman gets to the age where she has raised her children and sent them off knowing they are the best they could do,  that now she wants her space and relief from physical obligations.  At this time they both only have to answer to each other yet they drift away, figuratively.

I used to dream of the days when I didn't have to go to work and my wife an I could just laz the mornings and evenings away, getting closer than ever before.  As long as we have been married, my wife tells me how happy she is with her life.   I spend my life trying to make her happy.  She sometimes will ask me why I do the things I do for her.  I tell her that maybe I hope she will do the same for me.  

Yet now, it seems that we have time for our own activities, we have less time for each other.  I don't mean that we grow apart, but that we don't grow closer...…….I sometimes think that love means different things to a husband and wife.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I used to dream of the days when I didn't have to go to work and my wife an I could just laz the mornings and evenings away, getting closer than ever before

I look waaaaay better in real-life,  than I do in a mirror.

And,  I suspect, she does too.

So we have wine and vodka.

And sometimes embarrass our ancestors.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I look waaaaay better in real-life,  than I do in a mirror.

And,  I suspect, she does too.

So we have wine and vodka.

And sometimes embarrass our ancestors.

That is a sign that you two have found what many are missing.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Depending on how long you've been married this is directly proportional to the age of the relationship.

I figure in another 20 years I'll be as celibate as the pope.

We're coming up on our 22nd anniversary.

The pope is celibate?  At least he knows how to rock a hat.

pope_installation.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife, and I, had the penthouse at the best hotel in Pittsburgh, on our wedding night.  It was as big as a football field,  with a hot tub.

And we never even went in it.

Our friends had a one-room,  with 400 people packed in.  Non-normal things happened.

Later,  after noon,  we went to our room and messed up the sheets,  just so we didn't look bad.

• Haha 1