The Tet Offensive

Eric

• Administrators

Fifty-two years ago today, the Vietnam Cong and NVA kicked off the Tet Offensive, attacking at multiple points across South Vietnam. The attack initially surprised and stunned the allied forces, but we quickly regrouped and beat back the attacks in most areas (With a couple of notable exceptions), inflicting heavy losses on the VC and NVA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

The Tet offensive, was by all measurable accounts, a huge strategic and tactical  loss for the North Vietnamese regulars and the Viet Cong.

Except in the national media in the United States.

This is when Walter Cronkite declared that the war was unwinnable.

I was in high school at the time, but I knew many that were there.

Outstanding job, lads.

:patriot:

Edited by tous
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

One of my family members had gotten his draft notice. "Join the military branch of your choice, or be drafted." He chose the Air Force and trained as an aircraft mechanic. After Basic and AIT, he got his orders. S.E. Asia. Within 12 hours of putting his feet on the ground in Vietnam he was in a horrific fire fight. His best friend laying next to him shot through the head.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

18 hours ago, BamaBud said:

The assassination of a known terrorist.

Historian Max Hastings, writing in 2018, noted that this man was in civilian clothes and was alleged to have just cut the throats of South Vietnamese Lt Col Nguyen Tuan, his wife, their six children and the officer’s 80-year-old mother.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Commander .38 special who executed the NVA eventually retired to Virginia where he opened a pizza shop.  He passed away.

He also lost a leg in the Tet Offensive.  Died of cancer in 1988. 

he was a pilot yet somehow became a general for the national police. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Historian Max, writing in 2018, noted that this man was in civilian clothes and was alleged to have just cut the throats of South Vietnamese Lt Col Nguyen Tuan, his wife, their six children and the officer’s 80-year-old mother.

Commie. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fnfalman said:

He also lost a leg in the Tet Offensive.  Died of cancer in 1988. 

he was a pilot yet somehow became a general for the national police. 

Ayep.  Knew that. Kinda odd...but a long time ago...i ate pizza at his shop.  We had a brief meeting.

I...am...getting  old.

• Like 3

The Vietnam War, or police action, as it was called because the US never declared war, was doomed from the beginning; the first politically-correct war.

One cannot hope to win when you allow the opposing force a King's X (Cambodia, Laos,) declare his good stuff off limits to destruction (no bombing the North, that would be mean,) and being forbidden to molest their supply lines (no shooting at Russian ships full of shooty and explody goodies in Haiphong Harbor.)

Add to that a fully corrupt government in the host nation, they shipped our money out of the country faster than their army sold their weapons to the other guys, and you have set the table for disaster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1