Behold, the Chaffle

TBO

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Historian said:

Point made. He an kill you with a touch of class.

This stoneware is heavy and hard as hell. I think I could take off the top of someone’s skull, with a good throw. 

2 minutes ago, Rellik said:

I only have corell wear.  I now feel so inidaquite.  

Off to sulk in my room.........

I have developed a mostly-deserved reputation for dropping things and Corell dishes and I are a bad combination. They are tempered glass and so they are hard to break, but when they do break, they go off like freaking grenades. Those tiny little glass shards launch everywhere and I pick them up with my feet for weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, TBO said:

My first attempt. Stupid simple and delicious! 

https://thatlowcarblife.com/chaffles/

20200131_192045.thumb.jpg.e349ac323017f7feb17b2e2f24bd1ab2.jpg

Sorry about dragging your thread off into the weeds.

so the waffles came out good? Is the purpose of chaffles simply to be low-carb, or low in gluten as well? How is the texture of the waffles, if you don’t mind all the questions?

As I get older, I think I am becoming less tolerant to gluten. It seems to take longer to digest and can cause some discomfort. I’ve experimented with a few different low-or-no gluten substitutes, but haven’t found anything yet that is really good. Well, with one exception.

some of you might remember Mark and Lisa Christiansen from GT. They are some really great folks. Anyway, I saw Lisa on Facebook mention a low carb, high protein pasta she liked to use. The brand is  Dreamfield and it is available at most supermarkets. https://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com I tried some of their spaghetti last week and I was impressed. The stuff is healthy and I couldn’t tell the difference between it and what I usually use. Y’all should give it a try.

I wish Lisa was a member here, so I could thank her for turning me on to this stuff.

• Like 2

Sorry about dragging your thread off into the weeds.
so the waffles came out good? Is the purpose of chaffles simply to be low-carb, or low in gluten as well? How is the texture of the waffles, if you don’t mind all the questions?
As I get older, I think I am becoming less tolerant to gluten. It seems to take longer to digest and can cause some discomfort. I’ve experimented with a few different low-or-no gluten substitutes, but haven’t found anything yet that is really good. Well, with one exception.
some of you might remember Mark and Lisa Christiansen from GT. They are some really great folks. Anyway, I saw Lisa on Facebook mention a low carb, high protein pasta she liked to use. The brand is  Dreamfield and it is available at most supermarkets. https://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com I tried some of their spaghetti last week and I was impressed. The stuff is healthy and I couldn’t tell the difference between it and what I usually use. Y’all should give it a try.
I wish Lisa was a member here, so I could thank her for turning me on to this stuff.
I can't state the original reason by whoever made the chaffle up, but I am into it because it is low carb. It is remarkably waffle like. Even when I read those words in the recipe saying it's remarkably waffle like, I was still quite surprised when I tasted it.

Tons of variations, the most basic is just egg (or egg whites, if it's too eggy to one's pallet) and shredded cheese.

You can add cheese on the waffle iron bottom first, then put the mix in and then cheese on top to get it crisper if you're looking at something to be crisper.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric said:

This stoneware is heavy and hard as hell. I think I could take off the top of someone’s skull, with a good throw. 

I have developed a mostly-deserved reputation for dropping things and Corell dishes and I are a bad combination. They are tempered glass and so they are hard to break, but when they do break, they go off like freaking grenades. Those tiny little glass shards launch everywhere and I pick them up with my feet for weeks. 

I have a 3900 Lumen Flashlight and the best thing it's  good at is finding all the little microscopic shards of broken class, or dropped pills on the floor.

I mean it!  You can damn near pick out separate molecules with that thing

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, TBO said:

I can't state the original reason by whoever made the chaffle up, but I am into it because it is low carb. It is remarkably waffle like. Even when I read those words in the recipe saying it's remarkably waffle like, I was still quite surprised when I tasted it.

Tons of variations, the most basic is just egg (or egg whites, if it's too eggy to one's pallet) and shredded cheese.

You can add cheese on the waffle iron bottom first, then put the mix in and then cheese on top to get it crisper if you're looking at something to be crisper.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

I’ll have to give it a try. I love waffles, but I have steered clear of them for years. I have a George Foreman grille that comes with  four sets of interchangeable plates, including a set for making waffles. It does a hell of a job. I’ll give the recipe a shot and post about how it turns out. Thanks for the heads-up. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, tous said:

He has Noritake shot glasses, too?

:worthy:

I don’t have shot glasses, so I use the coffee cups. It doesn’t feel like you drink as much, if you start with a really big shot glass. “How many drinks have you had, sir?” “Oh, just one and I didn’t even finish it.” Yeah, that’s the ticket. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

It was,ok. Not as good as yours. Like a Unabomber style shack versus the Vatican. Both can keep you warm in the winter....but one is much nicer than the other.

I have gotten my share of laughs over the years, because of my quick wit. I’ve also had a few punches thrown at me. So it is a bit of a mixed bag type of thing, you know. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TBO said:

I'm drinking Whiskey right now, freshly smoked this fine evening, converted onto a low carb old fashioned.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

I'm drinking because my management at the office  is holding me accountable for their lack of humor and pathetic leadership unworthy of those of us support the..

But I'm not bitter.

Just confused like a Dostoevsky character, I dont  know if I should laugh, cry or fight. I simply exist unable to have a sense of the ocassion.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

I have gotten my share of laughs over the years, because of my quick wit. I’ve also had a few punches thrown at me. So it is a bit of a mixed bag type of thing, you know. 

This was the missing lyric from When I was Seventeen by Sintra.

• Haha 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

This was the missing lyric from When I was Seventeen by Sintra.

For some reason, I was thinking of the movie Fargo as I typed that. I’ll have to add that to my playlist though. ?

For the record, I am a big fan of the Coen Brothers in general and the Fargo movie and TV series in particular.

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

For some reason, I was thinking of the movie Fargo as I typed that. I’ll have to add that to my playlist though. ?

For the record, I am a big fan of the Coen Brothers in general and the Fargo movie and TV series in particular.

Best scene in the movie is the wood chopper.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Historian said:

And I bet you punched right back!

When necessary, but I generally didn’t feel good about it. Returning a punch at someone who was too dense to get and/or appreciate my wit is like smacking a dog for crapping on the rug. Last year. They don’t understand why they are getting hit. Truth to tell, I would feel worse about hitting the dog. Some of the best people I have ever known were dogs. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Historian said:

Best scene in the movie is the wood chopper.

I don’t know what it is about that movie, but from the first time I watched it, the Coen brothers’ humor just clicked for me.

Have you seen the Ballad of a Buster Scruggs?

Same :tbo:

Your post sparked an Associated memory. If you watch the TV series Southland, this should give you a kick.

There was an incident when the main cop character John Cooper was talking to a bigger Burley type person who had complained or reported a crime. There was an opportunity to make a gay type double entendre by John Cooper to which the suspect looked at him and said "are you ******* with me"? John Cooper replied "kind of" with a smirk.... which of course led to an immediate attack and assault by the outraged Burley biker type guy. :rofl:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 1