Why would anyone put up with MN winters? Video

TBO

A winter like that would make Mrs. Historian cold.  Thus resulting in...her getting closer to me. 

For many years i used to crack the window to the bedroom just slightly on chilly nights.  She often complained about the temperature of the room and would move over closer to me.

She eventually caught me.

That was a sad day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TBO said:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

When all things are considered, this is a wonderful state.  The ability to drive a short time and leave people behind, while experiencing fish and wildlife for company, is amazing.

The cold weather keeps life threatening poisonous critters away so if you want to camp in wilderness there is little to bother you. 

You learn that with wildlife, if you don't want them to bother you, you don't bother them.  This may be where "Minnesota nice" comes from. 

On Vacation "Up North", we often see Bears.  Walking, you sometimes shared the dirt roads with them.  You learn to not bother them and for the most part, they will not bother you. Eagles are everywhere.

Why, the cold that everyone else shudders at the thought of, keeps the Somali's at home and for a season we have less "problems".

One thing we Minnesotans do best, is to complain about the Winters.  But if the complaints are well founded, why do we still stay here. That's a rhetorical remark.

My company had me travel over the Continental US for business.  I made it a concerted effort to find a place to go when I retired that was better in my opinion.

I finally figured out that I was already in the best place.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 4

I do not miss living in Illinois one little bit.

I do however, kind of miss the snow. I would not mind one little bit, living in a far northern state, if I could have a house with a nice fireplace and a picture window with a view like any of those in the video.

I would have to have a well stocked cupboard and an even more well stocked bar to go along with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

When all things are considered, this is a wonderful state.  The ability to drive a short time and leave people behind, while experiencing fish and wildlife for company, is amazing.

The cold weather keeps life threatening poisonous critters away so if you want to camp in wilderness there is little to bother you. 

You learn that with wildlife, if you don't want them to bother you, you don't bother them.  This may be where "Minnesota nice" comes from. 

On Vacation "Up North", we often see Bears.  Walking, you sometimes shared the dirt roads with them.  You learn to not bother them and for the most part, they will not bother you. Eagles are everywhere.

Why, the cold that everyone else shudders at the thought of, keeps the Somali's at home and for a season we have less "problems".

One thing we Minnesotans do best, is to complain about the Winters.  But if the complaints are well founded, why do we still stay here. That's a rhetorical remark.

My company had me travel over the Continental US for business.  I made it a concerted effort to find a place to go when I retired that was better in my opinion.

I finally figured out that I was already in the best place.

You just described the UP.

Fewer bears and a poor economy, but few Yoopers emigrate to other states.

No true Yooper wants to be that far from a pasty shop.

Now, if only they could do something about the horse and deer flies large enough to show up on RADAR in the summer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1