Ruger-57

Eric

• Administrators

Ruger just launched a 5.7x28mm delayed-blowback pistol. It has 20-round mag capacity, like the FN pistol. I’m not a big fan of Ruger, but I really like the look of this gun. Unless it falls on its face completely, I’ll buy one of these.

here is the content from a Ruger press release, released on 31 December, 2019.

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is thrilled to introduce a cutting-edge new platform - the Ruger-57™ pistol. The Ruger-57 is a full-featured handgun wrapped around a standard capacity, 20-round steel magazine, chambered in the high performance and low-recoiling 5.7x28mm caliber.

The most touted feature of this new pistol is its impressive ergonomics. The slender steel magazine is surrounded by a glass-filled nylon frame featuring an optimized texture, making for a natural and ergonomic grip. Despite the longer cartridges, the trigger reach is no longer than many common 9mm Luger handguns. All of the controls are easily accessible, like the 1911-style ambidextrous manual safety, robust slide release and the reversible magazine latch.

The flat-shooting 5.7x28mm cartridge is recognized for its superior ballistic performance. The lighter weight projectiles have significantly less felt recoil than 9mm Luger, allowing quicker sight reacquisition.

Rounding out the package is a windage and elevation adjustable, serrated rear sight and rapid acquisition fiber optic front sight for fast, accurate shooting; Picatinny-style accessory rail; and Secure Action™ fire control which combines Ruger's reliable and proven internal hammer with a short, crisp trigger pull and a positive reset. To top it off, the slide is drilled and tapped for easy mounting of optics with a separately available optic adapter plate, available at ShopRuger.com.

"The Ruger-57 is destined to become one of America's favorite handguns," said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. "This pistol is soft shooting, accurate, powerful and just plain fun to shoot."

The through-hardened, billet steel slide with lightening cuts features enhanced front and rear cocking serrations. The steel barrel features a black nitride treatment for wear resistance, and the fire control housing is precision CNC-machined from anodized aluminum. The pistol is 8.65" long and weighs 24.5 ounces. It ships in a lockable hard case and includes two, 20-round steel magazines (10-round, state-compliant model also available). 

For more information on the Ruger-57 or to learn more about the extensive line of award-winning Ruger firearms, visit Ruger.com or Facebook.com/Ruger. To find accessories for the Ruger-57 and other Ruger firearms, visit ShopRuger.com or your local independent retailer of Ruger firearms.

https://ruger.com/micros/57/

BD6C7E85-DB05-443A-B273-A2CBCA79A093.jpeg.4a78686581bd1210ac0db9828934936b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wonder how it will compare with the KelTec semi-automatic which uses .22 magnum?

think the KelTec magazine holds 30 rounds vs 20. The ,22 magnum ammunition is almost certainly less expensive 

Edited by railfancwb
Fix auto correct garbage - maybe
  • Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Wonder how it will compare with the KelTec semi-automatic which uses .22 magnum?

think the KelTec magazine holds 30 rounds vs 20. The ,22 magnum ammunition is almost certainly less expensive 

I had a Kel-Tec PMR-30. It did have 30-round magazines. It was a great pistol. It is on a short list of guns that I don’t know why I sold, but shouldn’t have. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Comparison is a personal thing for each shooter.

I have a FN 5.7 and my friend bought (damn- smart processor tries to predict a word) a PMR-30.  After a week and some time shooting both, he said he liked my FN 5.7 better.  Everyone will have their preferences, but I am tempted to buy the Ruger since I already have the ammunition. 

I do like the round, especially the hollow point.  It's available to the public and some YouTube Videos show it going through bullet proof glass while the ball doesn't. I still want the PS-90 too.

Edited by janice6

57 minutes ago, Eric said:

I had a Kel-Tec PMR-30. It did have 30-round magazines. It was a great pistol. It is on a short list of guns that I don’t know why I sold, but shouldn’t have. 

i remember the keltec  being like 700 bucks  awhile back  at gun show , and this year price had dropped to like 350  .  i should have bought it ,   

• Like 1

I've never liked the sound of the Five Seven pistol.  Granted I don't wear hearing protection unless it's a range rule or I got my kids with me, but still it makes an obnoxious muzzle report. 

Edited by Maser
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Can us normal non-LEO/Military get the good ammo for it (ie anything other than ball)?  I think that was an issue with the Five-Seven.

That and the price.

You can get the hollow point that demonstrated bullet proof glass penetration.  You can't buy AP ammo.

AP= Personal Armor