1988 Ford Range, Damn....

DrB

I posted some pictures long time ago.  Awhile ago driving put on the brakes..... Pop... the pedal went down.. Press harder and Pop again.  Crap no brakes.  Parking brake that not work either.  Yep it is a manual transmission so with engine braking I got it home..  Great fun.... 

Sat in the driveway for a couple of Months.  Yesterday I called an old towing company that I used years before. Long story short.  Used AA card. They towed from my driveway.  The folks there work on old cars and such and knew me.  Anyhow truck is sitting there.  Going to need all new brake lines and whatever.  The front end is loose so I will have them take a look at that also.  Gas leak and radiator leak as well.  Going to have it done..fixed.  Will cost me some money but at my age is more than I can tackle.  They also do vintage body work so there is that also.

i wish I did not love that truck but I do....  I will throw some money at it....

Dave..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I posted some pictures long time ago.  Awhile ago driving put on the brakes..... Pop... the pedal went down.. Press harder and Pop again.  Crap no brakes.  Parking brake that not work either.  Yep it is a manual transmission so with engine braking I got it home..  Great fun.... 
Sat in the driveway for a couple of Months.  Yesterday I called an old towing company that I used years before. Long story short.  Used AA card. They towed from my driveway.  The folks there work on old cars and such and knew me.  Anyhow truck is sitting there.  Going to need all new brake lines and whatever.  The front end is loose so I will have them take a look at that also.  Gas leak and radiator leak as well.  Going to have it done..fixed.  Will cost me some money but at my age is more than I can tackle.  They also do vintage body work so there is that also.
i wish I did not love that truck but I do....  I will throw some money at it....
Dave..

I’ve had vehicles like that. The 2000 S-10 pickup is kinda that way. Engine from a wrecking lot with new radiator and hoses. Later transmission from another. Air Conditioning. Another radiator. Air Conditioning again. Driver’s door hinges keep throwing bushings. And on and on. The famous saying about keeping an old vehicle going “At least I know what’s wrong with it.” is a willful lie to self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

I’ve had vehicles like that. The 2000 S-10 pickup is kinda that way. Engine from a wrecking lot with new radiator and hoses. Later transmission from another. Air Conditioning. Another radiator. Air Conditioning again. Driver’s door hinges keep throwing bushings. And on and on. The famous saying about keeping an old vehicle going “At least I know what’s wrong with it.” is a willful lie to self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes.....  My truck was my Mom's.  Lived most of it's life in Texas.  I can't let it die....

Dave..

• Like 1

The wife’s truck is a ‘98 f-150. The brake lines apparently didn’t get any better. We just replaced ours.

runs great, rusts in the same spots as all the others (front bottom of the bed and fenders)

We’ll drive it till the wheels fall off

(still has an ashtray and a lighter)

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

Just now, DrB said:

Dave..

I know the feeling.  It's hard to have a broken tool and not try to fix it.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, DrB said:

Dave..

I didn’t realize that AA had a towing service. Not a bad idea. :biggrin:

I never was a fan of the Ford Ranger pickup, but I cannot deny that it has a rabidly loyal following. Folks love their Rangers, in spite of the warts. Now that is true love.

when I was in the Army in 1986, my mother bought a new Ford Ranger. It was that creme/tan & maroon color combo. A few months after she bought it, she was on her way to San Antonio in the Ranger when she hit a large vulture. It struck on her passenger-side A-pillar. It did bad things to the pillar and broke the windshield & P/S door window. The impact tore the vulture into a couple of pieces and the larger of the two ended up in the seat beside her. 

Ford was able to fix the bodywork, but they couldn’t get the smell of field-stripped buzzard out of the interior. She kept the truck another six weeks or so and traded it in. She did not get another Ranger. It is the only case I ever heard of where something other than the truck itself turned someone off of Ford Ranger ownership.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

didn’t realize that AA had a towing service. Not a bad idea. 

You got me there.  I should have said Triple A.... 

The Ranger is not my first choice in small pickups but is was my Mom's so I will put the money in it.  She is still alive so if I can bring a smile, it's more than worth the cost to keep it on the road..

Now the AA towing service thing, that may have some potential.....

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, DrB said:

You got me there.  I should have said Triple A.... 

The Ranger is not my first choice in small pickups but is was my Mom's so I will put the money in it.  She is still alive so if I can bring a smile, it's more than worth the cost to keep it on the road..

Now the AA towing service thing, that may have some potential.....

Dave

There's so much reward in just making those you care about, happy.

Day after tomorrow, I can't wait to see the look on my Grand daughters face when  she unwraps hundreds of dollars in cosmetics, nail polish and jewelry.  She's he one in college and thinks she desperately needs them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well an update here on the truck.  Getting all the brake system done front to back with new everything, including  pads, rotors, shoes, drums. new cylinders etc. new everything.  Front end needs all the normal stuff.  Coolant leak, oil leaks, gas leak and the res looked at and taken care of. 

I want to keep this truck on the road and get it restored to new, one step at a time..  Probably a little over 3K for now. 

Yep, a money pit.... but is my money pit.  Was my mom's truck and she is excited I am getting it done...  That's all the motivation I need.

Now that being said, if it was an automatic trans..then blahh.  This is a 5 speed manual 4WD, I love it..

Dave..,

• Like 5

2000 Dodge Dakota.  Can't tell the old scratches from the new.  Cleaned a pig on the tale gate this year. 

She does not leak oil, runs great, is worth about $100, headliner is falling out.   It's a money pit.  The clear coat is coming off.  Almost 200,000 miles.

But oh man.  This old truck.  She just keeps going.

Doc, i can understand.  Sometimes we have a hard time parting with a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2