An early Merry Christmas to me!

jmohme

I'm considering a P-90.  I have the FN 5.7.  But with only an indoor range, or within my house under some peculiar circumstances, there is no place to shoot it over any distance.

Otherwise I have enough to go on.  Of course my son would salivate over inheriting it. 

• Like 1

Contender update:

Looking through the extras that came with it, I saw that one of the spare grips did not have the usual TC end cap. Yes, I know someone just modified a Disney coin, but it still makes me laugh inside.

As far as I am concerned, I have a rare, possibly one of a kind Bambi slaying Walt  Disney World comemerative Thompson Center Contender!

GripCap.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Borg warner said:

XLNT! 22 magnum will do well out of that ten inch barrel. 30-30 is nice, too.

I have been wanting a 30/30 barrel for some time. I was and am still hoping to find a nice 14 inch bull barrel, but this will do for now.

The 22 mag is exciting too. I am going to take it out this week and try it out.

I am probably in the dog house for ordering 8 more boxes of Hornady Black .308 155 Grain.  I know, despite what Crimson trace says, getting it sited out to 0-100 for CQB for my SOCOM II will probably take more than a few mags, rather than a few rounds. I am curious to see how the BDC lights up a night. 

A friend of mine bought a pallet of SS190 many years ago and has it tucked away, I keep thinking I need to get a P-90 and SBR it for situations like this Virginia **** in the news. It hasn't ever left the thought process yet though. The Form 1 process to SBR it is almost a year wait so that has been another reason I haven't moved forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mike said:

A friend of mine bought a pallet of SS190 many years ago and has it tucked away, I keep thinking I need to get a P-90 and SBR it for situations like this Virginia **** in the news. It hasn't ever left the thought process yet though. The Form 1 process to SBR it is almost a year wait so that has been another reason I haven't moved forward.

I have an FN 5.7 and gradually accumulate ammunition for the same speculation on a PS-90.  I have a little over 1,000 Rounds now.  I could only shoot it in a local range so I'm still on the fence, but the ammo is still an attraction to me.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 10:39 PM, jmohme said:

So I took the Contender to the range today for the first time.

The .22WMR is amazing, but the 30/30 made me grunt like Tim Taylor. I like it!

You would like 30 Herrett.  Making the cases and fire forming them, then loading.  Brought a smile when I shot the finished ones.

Dave.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Contender update:
Looking through the extras that came with it, I saw that one of the spare grips did not have the usual TC end cap. Yes, I know someone just modified a Disney coin, but it still makes me laugh inside.
As far as I am concerned, I have a rare, possibly one of a kind Bambi slaying Walt  Disney World comemerative Thompson Center Contender!
GripCap.jpg.43a2d848f5415369aefc6c333a0329ae.jpg

Do you have a shot shell capable barrel? My only Contender at the moment has the .45 Colt .410 barrel with the screw in de-rifler. Took it to an indoor range to glance at the pattern and learned that the plastic shot cup will sometimes make it to the paper.

Haven’t shot .45 Colt yet. Do need to remember to unscrew the de-rifler before shooting .45 Colt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I do not have any shot shell barrels. 

I have several centerfire and a couple of rimfire. 

I really like this 30/30, but I think my favorite is my scoped 32 H&R magnum barrel. It is the one in the middle of the attached picture.

The one mounted is a 14inch 223. It's a load of fun to shoot too!

TCBagOFun.jpg

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

My Contender is one of the early ones.  Did they make different models that the barrels would not interchange?  If I remember correct I think they might have.  I'm going to dig mine out perhaps you can give me some info.  I only have the .30 Herrett barrel and would like to find some other calibers.  I'm off to visit the safe.  I'll bring it home this afternoon.

Thanks, now you have me interested in my Contender again.  I need to stay away from these forums...  Hahaa....

Dave.

12 hours ago, jmohme said:

The older octagonal barrels sometimes would need some honing work on the locking lugs before they would work correctly on the easy open frames.

What is the difference in the frames?  Mine is an early one I believe.  I'm going to work on getting it to open up this afternoon. 

Dave

The easiest way to tell is the pin that I am pointing to in the picture. If you see that pin, it is the easy open frame. 

The second picture shows both the early and later easy open frame.

The other difference is the hammer. The newer ones had a selector on top of the hammer to select between center fire and rim fire, whereas the older version had a slotted screw head accessed from the rear under the spur of the hammer.

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG