Another great day of hunting.

astepup

Saturdays are usually my day off but since we're short handed I've been working a few lately, which means less pheasant hunting time. Today however I was able to go. Although it required a lot of walking, some frustration at missing a few easy shots and dogs that didn't always cooperate, today went very well.

20191123_150008.thumb.jpg.44d9d649571525ae79f2aa24bf3322e7.jpg

Going to hit the fields again tomorrow afternoon. Dad would have loved to be with us today.

• Like 7

Mr. Astepup,

Your assignment considered incomplete.

What gun?

What load?

And also of high importance, howya gonna cook 'em!  

This is very inconsiderate of you.  Some of us ain't gettin' out this year.  Or last year.  Or next year, and must live through the experiences of those more fortunate.  

(Good job)    Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rellik said:

Mr. Astepup,

Your assignment considered incomplete.

What gun?

What load?

And also of high importance, howya gonna cook 'em!  

This is very inconsiderate of you.  Some of us ain't gettin' out this year.  Or last year.  Or next year, and must live through the experiences of those more fortunate.  

(Good job)    Cheers

I used my old Browning Auto 5 20 ga mag, shooting Rio 3" loads at 1300 fps. We fillet out the breasts, slice into strips then fry in olive oil with Zatarans seasoned batter mix. Tastes better than popcorn chicken!  I failed to get pics of the dogs though. Three weimerimers, one brittany and one Irish setter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tadbart said:

Beautiful birds! I've never had the opportunity to hunt them. Looks like a whole lot of fun, though.

They easy to clean? Greasy like a duck or more like a chicken? And what, are they about small hen size? So a bird would feed two?

They're easy to clean, just pull the breast skin open, fillet out the breast and if the legs are to be saved for stew just pull the skin down to the feet, snap the legs back and cut through the broken joint then sever the feet. The meat isn't greasy at all, in fact you have to be careful not to overcook it cook on high as it can dry and hard pretty quickly. Two full breasts per person is a good serving.

10 hours ago, astepup said:

They're easy to clean, just pull the breast skin open, fillet out the breast and if the legs are to be saved for stew just pull the skin down to the feet, snap the legs back and cut through the broken joint then sever the feet. The meat isn't greasy at all, in fact you have to be careful not to overcook it cook on high as it can dry and hard pretty quickly. Two full breasts per person is a good serving.

A girl showed me how she does her pheasants. Works on grouse too. Lay the bird on it's back facing away from you, spread out the wings. Step on them and pull up on both legs at the same time. Pulls the head right through the body. Give the legs a shake, the guts go flying. Peel the skin and feathers off the legs and then the breast. Cut off the feet and wings, it's ready to cook. After  a little practice you can do it faster than you can explain it.

1 hour ago, astepup said:

I heard about that technique a couple of years ago. We tried it but didn't do it right so maybe a little practice is needed.

Maybe I should make a video with grouse. Guess I better get out there and go for a limit. Ten is the daily bag limit. I shoot 'em in the eyeball with my 10-22 with a Leupold 3x9 on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1