Virigina Gun Control Bill Encourages Financial Institutions to Report 'Suspicious Transactions

pipedreams

You might want to think twice about putting that new gun on your credit card.

"A new gun control bill calls for banks and credit card companies to track and provide transaction data to the feds on some firearm purchases as a way of tracking people who the government suspects might be planning mass shootings."

https://reason.com/2019/11/20/new-gun-control-bill-encourages-financial-institutions-to-report-suspicious-firearm-transactions/

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, pipedreams said:

"A new gun control bill calls for banks and credit card companies to track and provide transaction data to the feds on some firearm purchases as a way of tracking people who the government suspects might be planning mass shootings."

https://reason.com/2019/11/20/new-gun-control-bill-encourages-financial-institutions-to-report-suspicious-firearm-transactions/

Or, just people buying guns legally.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pipedreams said:

They're suspicious of everyone buying guns.  BS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Define suspicious?   I know a guy who's son is trying very hard to get on the olympic skeet/trap team.

They buy enough shotgun shells to send the delivery teams to back therapy.

Exactly.  I really do believe that in this case, suspicious is anyone that buys a firearm.

There are people whose thought process is so unstable, that they believe if you have a firearm, you would do what they would do with it, if they had one.

These people don't need laws against firearms, they need to use a mirror more often.

• Like 2

FDIC may have issues with being asked to be responsible outside its legal limits,asking a third party to violate your rights in a lawful activity would open them up to lawsuits by those they report on and the lawsuits of and from the victims they don`t report on.

Banks and C.C. companies have Federal funds involved in their Companies and i don`t think many will jump into Violating you`r 1st,2nd,5th,6th,7th and creeping into violating the 8th Amendment and well into Violating the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act against State or Federal Gun Registry just because Va. says they should.

but even if they passed the law, pay cash and buy outside of those states until a huge class action suit by pretty much everyone on the first bad 'red flag' violation gets resolved or.........

take the State back from the .Gov Employees who have moved to Va..

Edited by holyjohnson
  • Thanks 1

I took my state flag down earlier this month. Embarrassed to be a Virginian quite honestly. I spent the entire Election Day at the polls volunteering for GOP candidates (though I’m heavily libertarian). I’m as PO’d at the Virginia GOP who essentially allowed the Dems to slide into office as I am the Dems. 

That being said, even with a D controlled General Assembly, I don’t see much of these more draconian measures passing as I think more moderate state Dems will be leery of overreaching going into a big election year. 

Edited by Valmet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1