The Worth of a Girl

pipedreams

Sad but happening in many places around the world.

What does a child bride bring to a marriage — a dowry, social status, domestic labor, business connections? What is her value to two families, the one she leaves and the one she joins? And what is the cost to the girl?

"Somaya was 13 years old and finishing seventh grade in Herat, Afghanistan, when her father sold her for 250,000 afghani ($3,300) to marry his relative’s son.

She moved into her new husband’s family home, she says, and her father then spent much of the money on her bedding, clothes and jewelry. When Somaya asked if she could go back to classes, she says both her mother-in-law and husband beat her.

“I kept telling them that I wanted to go to school,” Somaya says. Like many Afghans, she uses only one name. “But my in-laws told me, ‘If you go to school, who will do the house chores? We bought you.’”"

https://projects.voanews.com/child-marriage/

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Valmet said:

I’m certain corners of the world, it’s still the 19th century. 

I believe the women of the Muslim countries would be ecstatic at being brought up to the 19th century.

The stone age they are in doesn't show them much. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, windowasher said:

How come the leaders of the me too movement are totally silent about this?

I believe it is because they truly don't care.  They have a personal and/or a political cause and hide it under the premise that they are working for all women,  when in reality they are only working for the women protesting the most.

If these groups that claim to care for the treatment of women actually do care for bettering the treatment of all women, they would be castigating these stone age countries where women are chattel.  If they really cared for women they would be hollering to change the countries that still allow women to be bought and sold as slaves.

The fact that these false women's groups don't care for women in other countries, shows that they are only interested in what they can get for themselves and not what they can do for women everywhere. 

They are lying when they say they care, just as much a Blacks are, when they say Black lives matter, yet most Blacks killed are by other Blacks.

• Like 4

At an squadron reunion, I met up with a women I'd worked with.  Standing around in a group, someone said something to which I sarcy replied the all cultures are equal.  Without any hesitation, she replied no they're not!   

It seemed through a turn of evdnts over the years, she'd traveled officially through many turd world places.  She'd been there, and seen it.  Many times, many places.  

• Thanks 2

I probably haven't seen as many places as she has, but the places I saw proved she was right. 

In some cultures the drive for violence is so high, that if they don't have a common enemy to fight with, they fight with each other. It's a despicable thing to see.

• Like 1