Emergency Nursing.

Paul53

12 hours ago, janice6 said:

We do what we must do.  No one can ask more of you.

I've long hated our healthcare system, and always vocal about it. Life can't be bought once it's gone, but healthcare workers and patients are just numbers to the bean counters. Patients crippled or dying for financial reasons is criminal. Now front line care givers are dying because nobody wanted to spend for the needed PPE to be ready for the well foreseen eventual pandemic. Cancer treatment left me hopelessly in debt, so I save to pay a bankruptcy lawyer. The juxtaposition of money and life makes me crazy(er)!

I think something snapped in my brain when the bill for $338,000 arrived.

Edited by Paul53
  • Sad 1

It's true.  We just don't prepare for the future.  Neither our citizens, nor our government.

We live in a society that has been taught instant gratification for so many generations, we now are incapable of looking ahead, no matter what the end cost.

My classic example is our electrical grid.  The cross country grid is composed of a multitude of custom made transformers.  Many of these will take 2 years to make, and ship to the specific locations that uses it.  

In the event of a Solar Flare large enough, we could lose the cross country grid because of the length of these lines and the energy put out by a large Solar Flare.  The energy is measured in Volts per meter of the length of the conductor that is in the path of this radiation.  

Our Cross country lines are hundreds of mile in each leg of the path.  This means enough energy could be induced in these lines to arc over many of these custom transformers.  

When this occurs, all interconnected electrical power will be cut off.  This country runs on electricity, our society survives on it.  Without it we will see an event that will bring all of us to our knees.

To manufacture replacement custom transformers and place them at their ultimate location, would cost an estimated $2 Billion dollars today.  The electrical companies will not do this because they have no way to get this expense deducted from their operating expenses.

The government won't pay for this because it hasn't happened yet, and it is seen as a speculative measure.  Even though it's an eventual certainty.

We simply have had our ability to prepare for the future bred out of us! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My youngest has stopped talking to me because I will soon be on my death bed due to my food handling. Wish she could read this. It' attributed, longish, but a good easy read.

Here to correct these misconceptions is Donald Schaffner, a faculty member in Rutgers University’s Department of Food Science.

Schaffner’s advice for us is drawn from his experience as a food microbiologist.

First and foremost, that terrifying report from the CDC that indicates the virus remained detectable on surfaces for as long as 17 days is based on finding viral RNA—not exactly the same as finding an infectious viral particle. The presence of fragments of a virus isn’t necessarily the same as an intact viral particle capable of infecting a person. Beyond that, the CDC does not provide the methods used to arrive at this 17 day figure, but instead cites personal communication—the scientific equivalent of passing off gossip as fact. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong, but you won’t know until you’ve gotten the full details from the original source.

When it comes to making sure your groceries are safe, then, it’s not necessary to keep them on the porch or in the garage for three days. For perishable items like milk or ice cream, that’s actually a good way to end up with spoiled or rotting food, which is its safety issue. It’s also a really bad idea to wash fruits and veggies with soap, as ingesting soap can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. And we don’t need anything else to worry about right now, do we?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Paul53 said:

My youngest has stopped talking to me because I will soon be on my death bed due to my food handling. Wish she could read this. It' attributed, longish, but a good easy read.

Here to correct these misconceptions is Donald Schaffner, a faculty member in Rutgers University’s Department of Food Science.

Schaffner’s advice for us is drawn from his experience as a food microbiologist.

First and foremost, that terrifying report from the CDC that indicates the virus remained detectable on surfaces for as long as 17 days is based on finding viral RNA—not exactly the same as finding an infectious viral particle. The presence of fragments of a virus isn’t necessarily the same as an intact viral particle capable of infecting a person. Beyond that, the CDC does not provide the methods used to arrive at this 17 day figure, but instead cites personal communication—the scientific equivalent of passing off gossip as fact. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong, but you won’t know until you’ve gotten the full details from the original source.

When it comes to making sure your groceries are safe, then, it’s not necessary to keep them on the porch or in the garage for three days. For perishable items like milk or ice cream, that’s actually a good way to end up with spoiled or rotting food, which is its safety issue. It’s also a really bad idea to wash fruits and veggies with soap, as ingesting soap can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. And we don’t need anything else to worry about right now, do we?

Once again, if you have common sense, you are ahead of the game.

• Like 1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.