Stumped By Thunderbird Replica

Eric

• Administrators

I just saw a replica of a 1955 Ford Thunderbird on Facebook, that has me stumped. The body is obviously not the real deal, from first glance. It is FWD and is powered by a transverse Buick supercharged 3800 V-6. The steering column is GM and of the same period as the engine. Beyond that, I’m stumped. I’ve never heard of this replica and can’t find anything on it. Maybe it is built and dole exclusively in another country. I don’t know.

Anyone have any ideas?

B4CA6015-5EB3-4541-A9DD-032C5213FF88.jpeg

3F52F088-1E27-40D8-8125-612875E5A817.jpeg

3BBABD03-1A60-4083-82AF-858EF419513E.jpeg

847AF142-9415-4E90-841E-A1F1B926044F.jpeg

141C29C3-A40A-4451-A8E1-BEA0724A723B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Eric said:

I just saw a replica of a 1955 Ford Thunderbird on Facebook, that has me stumped. The body is obviously not the real deal, from first glance. It is FWD and is powered by a transverse Buick supercharged 3800 V-6. The steering column is GM and of the same period as the engine. Beyond that, I’m stumped. I’ve never heard of this replica and can’t find anything on it. Maybe it is built and dole exclusively in another country. I don’t know.

Anyone have any ideas?

B4CA6015-5EB3-4541-A9DD-032C5213FF88.jpeg

3F52F088-1E27-40D8-8125-612875E5A817.jpeg

3BBABD03-1A60-4083-82AF-858EF419513E.jpeg

847AF142-9415-4E90-841E-A1F1B926044F.jpeg

141C29C3-A40A-4451-A8E1-BEA0724A723B.jpeg

Can't help you, but it is really nice!!

• Administrators
Just now, Silentpoet said:

I think it is a one off custom job.  http://www.kitcarlist.com/ doesn't seem to have it and it says it has 750 makers listed.  Including a bunch of overseas ones.

Man, that is a huge amount of work for a one-off job. Also, if it was one-off, I would expect it to be more polished. I don’t know. I did get a chuckle out of the fact that a T-Bird replica is using a GM drivetrain. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Can't help you, but it is really nice!!

I really do not like how it looks from the front wheels forward. Making it FWD gave it some extra overhang. It really hurt the lines of the original. I’m still surprised they would go with a transverse FWD setup like that. It’s a great motor and plenty of power. Just an odd choice. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Man, that is a huge amount of work for a one-off job. Also, if it was one-off, I would expect it to be more polished. I don’t know. I did get a chuckle out of the fact that a T-Bird replica is using a GM drivetrain. :biggrin:

It is the only thing I can figure.  Whoever did it might have modified an existing kit to fit the car he had. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

It is the only thing I can figure.  Whoever did it might have modified an existing kit to fit the car he had. 

There was a Brazilian company making tri-five Thunderbird kits back in the nineties. I get a chance to look one over once. They were the best looking turnkey/kit replicas I’ve ever seen. The glass work on the body was perfect. Every panel that opened, hood, doors, trunk, had an inner and outer panel bonded together, so the panel looked correct, inside or out. There were steel anchor plates molded into the body for the mount points of the hinges for the doors, trunk lid & hood. The attention to detail was damned impressive. I wish I could remember that company’s name. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

I really do not like how it looks from the front wheels forward. Making it FWD gave it some extra overhang. It really hurt the lines of the original. I’m still surprised they would go with a transverse FWD setup like that. It’s a great motor and plenty of power. Just an odd choice. 

Yes.  But I have always hankered for a 55 T Bird or an original Vette.  Now I'm too old to play cars.  But I can appreciate looking.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric said:

There was a Brazilian company making tri-five Thunderbird kits in the nineties. They were the best looking turnkey/kit replicas I’ve ever seen. The glass work on the body was perfect. Every panel that opened, hood, doors, trunk, had an inner and outer panel bonded together, so the panel looked correct, inside or out. There were steel anchor plates molded into the body for the mount points of the hinges for the doors, trunk lid & hood. The attention to detail was damned impressive. I wish I could remember that company’s name. 

Shay?

• Administrators

Well, I’ll be damned. It does appear to be a one-off resto-mod of an actual 1955 Ford Thunderbird. Who the hell would do that? The car is called The Ultrabird. There isn’t a huge amount of info on it, but here is a link to the company that I believe is currently selling it, and a Mecum Auction link.

https://www.tonysautosales.com/1955-Ford-Thunderbird-Waterbury-Connecticut-Norwich-Middletown-New-Haven/listing/LEdPZQ1gLZA=/x6I23PzfqPw=

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-290964/1955-ford-thunderbird/

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Eric said:

Well, I’ll be damned. It does appear to be a one-off resto-mod of an actual 1955 Ford Thunderbird. Who the hell would do that? The car is called The Ultrabird. There isn’t a huge amount of info on it, but here is a link to the company that I believe is currently selling it, and a Mecum Auction link.

https://www.tonysautosales.com/1955-Ford-Thunderbird-Waterbury-Connecticut-Norwich-Middletown-New-Haven/listing/LEdPZQ1gLZA=/x6I23PzfqPw=

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-290964/1955-ford-thunderbird/

I'm struggling with this.  That would take an INSANE amount of work.  Plus you could easily mount the engine longitudinally and still use the 3800 V6 (doesn't resolve WHY you'd want to unless you had a Grand National/GNX/T Type engine laying around).  But it does appear that one is supercharged.

jKL1MHc.gif

Plus they changed the dash, steering wheel, basically the entire interior.  GM parts all around it.

If they were gonna use a Buick steering column, they could AT LEAST get a steering wheel without the Buick logo.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I'm struggling with this.  That would take an INSANE amount of work.  Plus you could easily mount the engine longitudinally and still use the 3800 V6 (doesn't resolve WHY you'd want to unless you had a Grand National/GNX/T Type engine laying around).  But it does appear that one is supercharged.

jKL1MHc.gif

Plus they changed the dash, steering wheel, basically the entire interior.  GM parts all around it.

If they were gonna use a Buick steering column, they could AT LEAST get a steering wheel without the Buick logo.

Skill without wisdom is a horrible thing.

• Like 1

At one time all the brands represented in NASCAR used Ford differentials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrators
1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

At one time all the brands represented in NASCAR used Ford differentials.

The Ford 9” rear end was legendary. Kind of like GM’s Powerglide auto trans in drag racing. It was (and still is) a great fit. 

One sorta cool thing I found looking on the site I posted was a trike with a cobra rear end based on a VW.   I was looking to see if there was anything for a v8 trike so I could use the 472 in the basement.

Have seen V-8 powered trikes...