Edgar Allan Poe

DrB

Anyone else read him?  In High School had an English teacher who introduced me his writings.  Some of the dark works I believe were written under the influence of Laudanum.  To this day i still go back and read his works.

Dave..

Annabel Lee

By Edgar Allan Poe

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of Annabel Lee;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea,
But we loved with a love that was more than love —
I and my Annabel Lee —
With a love that the wingèd seraphs of Heaven
Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling
My beautiful Annabel Lee;
So that her highborn kinsmen came
And bore her away from me,
To shut her up in a sepulchre
In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in Heaven,
Went envying her and me —
Yes! — that was the reason (as all men know,
In this kingdom by the sea)
That the wind came out of the cloud by night,
Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love
Of those who were older than we —
Of many far wiser than we —
And neither the angels in Heaven above
Nor the demons down under the sea
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;

For the moon never beams, without bringing me dreams
And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling — my darling — my life and my bride,
In her sepulchre there by the sea —
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

• Like 8

• Administrators

Alan Parsons created an album dedicated to Poe’s work. Each song is a musical interpretation of one of Poe’s stories. Parsons is an incredibly gifted musician and this album was very well done. 

• Like 4

My grade school dwelt on famous authors and poets.

My family used to play a card game called, "Authors", where you would match up authors with their works. 

To this day, when I hear about the authors or their writings, I find myself making the associations automatically.

• Like 4

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Historian said:

Eric, musically, I am stuck in about the 12th to 15 century with an overdose of 1940s big band music.

That being said.  That album you just recommended was amazing.  Turned on the ham radio and zoned out to that.  Wow...

It was very well done. Alan Parsons is very talented.

I also enjoy Owain Phyfe. He performed old music, as early as the Middle Ages. He was a regular on the Renaissance Fair circuit and got a lot of exposure online. I was listening to some of his stuff earlier.

Here is one of my favorites he performed.

• Thanks 2

• Administrators

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Owain Phyfe at the Phoenix Renaissance Fair, back in 2005. He was a kind and interesting person. I was saddened to hear that he died of pancreatic cancer, a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

It was very well done. Alan Parsons is very talented.

I also enjoy Owain Phyfe. He performed old music, as early as the Middle Ages. He was a regular on the Renaissance Fair circuit and got a lot of exposure online. I was listening to some of his stuff earlier.

No doubt Parson's has some serious cred.  He's marvelous.   

Owain....is new to me.  Sounds interesting.

Here is one of my favorites.  My mind was blown when i heard it first.  It was like nothing heard before it's time.  This music was considered dangerous...and debate raged...was it pleasing to man?  Or was it pleasing to man and God? For our music should only praise God....seriously...we're getting in some interesting...history.

Turn down the lights....and minimize distraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvz3XGpNsts

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Historian said:

No doubt Parson's has some serious cred.  He's marvelous.   

Owain....is new to me.  Sounds interesting.

Here is one of my favorites.  My mind was blown when i heard it first.  It was like nothing heard before it's time.  This music was considered dangerous...and debate raged...was it pleasing to man?  Or was it pleasing to man and God? For our music should only praise God....seriously...we're getting in some interesting...history.

Turn down the lights....and minimize distraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvz3XGpNsts

That was beautiful. Truly. Music served a different purpose back then, no doubt. I wonder what people of that era would make of today’s music, even if a cultural context could be established? Popular music says a lot about where a society’s head is at.

Owain Phyfe is a much different experience than songs of that type. He was quite a performer though and I applauded his efforts to resurrect and keep alive old music.

• Administrators

I’ve always liked this Stephen Crane poem.

In The Desert

In the desert 
I saw a creature, naked, bestial, 
Who, squatting upon the ground, 
Held his heart in his hands, 
And ate of it. 
I said, “Is it good, friend?” 
“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered; 

“But I like it 
“Because it is bitter, 
“And because it is my heart.
  • Like 1

• Administrators

A Man Said To The Universe

A man said to the universe: 
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe, 
“The fact has not created in me 
A sense of obligation.

Stephen Crane
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Eric said:

That was beautiful. Truly. Music served a different purpose back then, no doubt. I wonder what people of that era would make of today’s music, even if a cultural context could be established? Popular music says a lot about where a society’s head is at.

Owain Phyfe is a much different experience than songs of that type. He was quite a performer though and I applauded his efforts to resurrect and keep alive old music.

Yeah. That think was...to a stunning work. The first time i heard it...i had tears in my eyes.

But you have answered your own question. 

Historically speaking we had 800 years of magnificent fantastic Gregorian chant.  And it had one purpose. To praise God.  It was wonderful.

But after 800 years people wanted something knew.   Hey, I love Bruckner, but every once in a while, I want some Wagner (Bruckner was the heir to Wagner).

Anyway:  After 800 years a new thought occurred that we should have a secondary rising and falling voice that would interweave with the regular chant.  The most famous examples come from the Notre Dame School of music.

This evolution in music reacted…modern music.  You couldn’t have something as driving and complex and rich as Alan Parsons without leaving chant.  

The J. P. Palestrina example I gave was a bait in a way. 

The Catholic Church debated among many things, if his music was both pleasing to man and God.   Could we enjoy it? Was it right?  Of course it does both.  The two are not mutually exclusive

And people thought Two Live Crew was controversial.  This was the 9mm versus .45 of the day!

They were killing heretics back then.  The Crew…would have been considered insane and put away forever. 

Palestrina is…the man who “saved western music for the Church” and for many of us…we are quite glad.  You would never have the wonderful sounds of fine music without it.

And there you have it:  Five minutes in history.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Poe and Lovecraft got me through high school

my teachers thought I was kind of morbid

Or perhaps in the wrong era.  Poe influenced a generation of fine French authors who intern influenced Lovecract.  :)

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1