Next-Gen F150 - Independent Rear Suspension?

SC Tiger

Some video and still shots of an EV version of the F150 have been floating around.  

ford-f-150-ev-spy-shots.jpg

What's really interesting though is seen from the back:

d9e7okgidygu9agwkffr.jpg

She looks to have an independent rear suspension.  That would be a first for a modern pickup.  That is interesting.

And before you ask I've no idea why an electric truck has a tailpipe.  Possibly an attempt at a decoy.

Link to story: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/25/electric-ford-f-150-prototype-spy-shots-rear-suspension/

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i`m guessing AWD will be replacing the 4wd option soon.

i think Ford will be offering everything in the coming years as front or AWD

plus people want new trucks to ride like cars

It may.  Some trucks already have that option.  I think AWD is basically a 4wd system with some brains behind it that auto-engages.

What bugs me about Ford is that they are now supposedly burying their water pumps inside the engine somewhere.  Makes it a bear to change.

13 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Define "modern pickup" for me, as it's definitely not the first pickup truck to have independent rear suspension.

I'd say since the 80s at least.  Unless the Sierra Denali (the all-wheel-steering one) had it I'm not aware of any having it.  I think there are aftermarket kits out there though.

• Like 1

Mine is old enough, that when my wife wants to take it and it is raining, a bag of old cement is put there over the rear axel.  I plan on driving it until it falls apart or my son eventually steals it from me.  Then I will get a Jeep, not a soft top, and none of those stupid SUV's called Jeeps.  Four doors, hard top, and a nerf bar, so I can get on that and pull myself in on the 'Oh ****," handle.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 2:59 PM, SC Tiger said:

Some video and still shots of an EV version of the F150 have been floating around.  

ford-f-150-ev-spy-shots.jpg

What's really interesting though is seen from the back:

d9e7okgidygu9agwkffr.jpg

She looks to have an independent rear suspension.  That would be a first for a modern pickup.  That is interesting.

And before you ask I've no idea why an electric truck has a tailpipe.  Possibly an attempt at a decoy.

Link to story: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/25/electric-ford-f-150-prototype-spy-shots-rear-suspension/

It is seriously fugly.  I am trying to figure out how the driver got a passenger that wasn't embarrassed by riding around in a Ford Giraffe. 

*I noticed after my comment, my daughter owns a pair of shorts that looks like that.  I have no idea why.*

Edited by Moshe

17 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Define "modern pickup" for me, as it's definitely not the first pickup truck to have independent rear suspension.

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I'd say since the 80s at least.  Unless the Sierra Denali (the all-wheel-steering one) had it I'm not aware of any having it.  I think there are aftermarket kits out there though.

While not all that common, the Hummer H1 was sold as a pickup variant and had independent suspension all around. Early 90's to mid 2000's.  The HMMWV started production in the mid 1980s and is still being manufactured today with some upgrades, but basic design is still the same.  Both the H1 and the HMMWV share the same chassis, come off the same assembly line, just the H1 went to a different finishing line than the HMMWV.

796067_6182_370_0001.jpg.6d85e17cfd4cd98c2e23e099d6490788.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 8:53 AM, Moshe said:

It is seriously fugly.  I am trying to figure out how the driver got a passenger that wasn't embarrassed by riding around in a Ford Giraffe. 

My guess is that was retrofitted to an existing truck.  Not sure why they would put that stuff (it appears to be a wrap, not paint) on a current-gen F150 body.  Maybe there's something hiding under there?

Car makers do all kinds of weird stuff like that to hide details or for testing certain aspects.  Check this out:

43123f7afa0afbbe027dfb77cb7c7061.jpg

Camaro front end on......something.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

While not all that common, the Hummer H1 was sold as a pickup variant and had independent suspension all around. Early 90's to mid 2000's.  The HMMWV started production in the mid 1980s and is still being manufactured today with some upgrades, but basic design is still the same.  Both the H1 and the HMMWV share the same chassis, come off the same assembly line, just the H1 went to a different finishing line than the HMMWV.

796067_6182_370_0001.jpg.6d85e17cfd4cd98c2e23e099d6490788.jpg

I guess that counts.  Well done.

Still - it's never been done in numbers like the F150 will be - if it winds up on the gas versions as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

It may.  Some trucks already have that option.  I think AWD is basically a 4wd system with some brains behind it that auto-engages.

What bugs me about Ford is that they are now supposedly burying their water pumps inside the engine somewhere.  Makes it a bear to change.

behind the timing chains,pays about 9 hrs of labor for the 3.5

about 2 hrs for the 5.0.

• Sad 1

Half ton trucks are morphing into personal luxury vehicles and away from their blue collar taskings of previous generations. The Ford Super Duty is considered the "work truck" now and the F-150 is effectively the new "Ranchero".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

about 2 hrs for the 5.0.

Sounds about like how Honda does it on their V6 cars except I don't know about the labor amount.  It's suggested to replace the water pump when replacing the timing belt (about every 100K miles I think) on a Honda, but most people don't replace timing chains outside of a problem.  I don't know what the timing belt job pays on a Honda V6 though.

I'm not sure why they would put it there though.  Especially if the engine has a timing chain.

I had a friend who had an Edge that the water pump went out on.  Decided to just trade the car in since it had something like 150K miles.  I think the quote was something like $2300 for the job.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Sad 1

AWD ≠ 4wd. AWD works all the time and on all surfaces. It usually doesn't have a Low-range transfer case designed for off-roading, only a Torson style variable differential for transfer of power. AWD systems require that all tires be replaced at the same time, due to differential wear. 

AWD is designed for rain and snow covered roads, not for true off roading.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blueiron said:

AWD ≠ 4wd. AWD works all the time and on all surfaces. It usually doesn't have a Low-range transfer case designed for off-roading, only a Torson style variable differential for transfer of power. AWD systems require that all tires be replaced at the same time, due to differential wear. 

AWD is designed for rain and snow covered roads, not for true off roading.

I have had many years of each type drive and the above is the truth.

Come to think of it, I have had a 4X4 that was all wheel drive also.  It might have been a Plymouth Trail Duster.  Anyway, you have to experience the thrill of true Bump Steer to appreciate how it gets you adrenaline up as you find out which direction you will now be heading.

Most bizarre on ice till you "lock it up".

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

Have seen a picture of a V-? (6 or 8 maybe) with the starter hiding under the intake manifold.

“Is there ANYTHING a shade tree mechanic can still work on here? Well... maybe change the starter motor. OK. Put it under the intake manifold.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Have seen a picture of a V-? (6 or 8 maybe) with the starter hiding under the intake manifold.

“Is there ANYTHING a shade tree mechanic can still work on here? Well... maybe change the starter motor. OK. Put it under the intake manifold.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honda 2.4 hides the starter under the intake,it uses a Metal gasket so usually you can reuse them.

its not as bad as it sounds to replace the starter.

10 hours ago, janice6 said:

Come to think of it, I have had a 4X4 that was all wheel drive also.  It might have been a Plymouth Trail Duster. 

Yes, in the mid 1970's to the early 1980s, Chrysler, GM, and Ford used the New Process 203 transfer case in the full sized 2 dr SUVs of the period, as well as 1/2 ton trucks. They were full time 4wd systems that allowed a certain amount of slip within the transfer case/front and rear axles due to a roller chain drive system. Older transfer cases like the Dana 300 used conventional gears within the transfer case to provide power.

The NP-203 system died out in the mid 1980s because of increased fuel consumption, excess tire wear, and more maintenance required on the drive train vs. a part time system such as the New Process / New Venture 205 transfer case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:53 AM, blueiron said:

Half ton trucks are morphing into personal luxury vehicles and away from their blue collar taskings of previous generations. The Ford Super Duty is considered the "work truck" now and the F-150 is effectively the new "Ranchero".

Very astute observation.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:34 PM, holyjohnson said:

about 2 hrs for the 5.0.

I have a 95 with a 300 straight 6. As an amateur shade tree it would maybe take me the two hours.  I do have the water pump wrench set for it because I got a good deal.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, Silentpoet said:

I have a 95 with a 300 straight 6. As an amateur shade tree it would maybe take me the two hours.  I do have the water pump wrench set for it because I got a good deal.

My 2000 Silverado took me about 4 hours, but most of that was trying to get the cooling fan off of the old water pump (threads on, single nut, and no way to grab the pulley on the old water pump to get it off.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:06 AM, holyjohnson said:

Honda 2.4 hides the starter under the intake,it uses a Metal gasket so usually you can reuse them.

its not as bad as it sounds to replace the starter.

It's actually pretty easy.  I usually replace that gasket but probably didn't need to.  The one long bolt is kind of a pain to get to and the bracket at the bottom of the intake is a little aggravating.

• Like 2