Anybody like old tool catalogs?

gwalchmai

They are terrible!  They just remind me of the tools that I might not have in my assortment for almost every purpose.  I collected tools since my high school days.  Sometimes my father would get irate to find that he had involuntarily donated to my collection.

But until I retired, I collected tools for all trades because I didn't really know what fields might stir some interest from me after I retired.  

Now That I have been retired for some time, I find I can do less and less physically demanding "stuff", but that lifelong urge to buy tools that I don't have is still there.  Unfortunately, I also have the disposable income to indulge myself.  I occasionally buy a really neat tool that I don't have on the premise that I "might need" that someday.

I'm getting to the point that probably the only tool I might need would be one that could open the casket from the inside.  I seriously doubt that the mortician would bury me with my 4 Ton porta-power jack but it may have been my wisest purchase, in retrospect.  We shall see.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

A healthy market exists for old tools and their catalogs.

http://vintagemachinery.org/

A good place to get lost in the fifties... or forties... or even earlier.

If you love old powered machines - lathes, mills, shapers...

http://www.lathes.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny (odd) how time change.  When we were young we pursued the undergarments pages like the "tools" we were.

Now that we got older the pursued the Tool section, knowing that undergarments are now gone for us.

Victoria's Secret

Fredricks of Hollywood

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

Funny (odd) how time change.  When we were young we pursued the undergarments pages like the "tools" we were.
Now that we got older the pursued the Tool section, knowing that undergarments are now gone for us.

Victoria's Secret
Fredricks of Hollywood

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love old tools.  Wish i knew more about how to use the ones i have.   A wonderful pawn shop closed about four years ago and i looted them of draw knives, drills and other things at a discount price.

Had to get an auger bit to show my daughter how that drill worked. :) That was a great day.

• Thanks 2

Related to mine above.

My wife was going in for Hip Replacement surgery and wanted to get so new underwear since she wears them until they are an embarrassment, because according to her, "they cost too much money".

We are not poor.  We went to get her new underwear and she picked out the most plain jane panties they had because they were cheap.  I looked at what she had picked out and threw them back on the shelf. 

We moved over to the better stuff that while still "Granny Panties", they were in more striking colors and much better quality and material.  They were not lacy and sexy like the models.  We are old and I know it.  We had a subdued verbal battle on the way to the checkout. 

Her parting line was one that I liked!  she said she had never paid $100 before for 7 pairs of panties.  My claim was that it's about time!

Now she tells the story to her kids and appreciates the feel of quality as she does.  She tells it like I'm throwing money away, while at the same time she looks like she's happy I did it.

There is a limit to frugality where it starts to make you feel like you are of lower quality too.  No one should go that low in clothing claiming it saves money!  Think better of yourself!

Disclaimer:  The above does not apply to me.  I wear cheap crap with a flair!  And I don't give a damn.

It is when women wear nice sexy underwear they feel better about themselves. 

• Like 2

Just now, Historian said:

I love old tools.  Wish i knew more about how to use the ones i have.   A wonderful pawn shop closed about four years ago and i looted them of draw knives, drills and other things at a discount price.

Had to get an auger bit to show my daughter how that drill worked. :) That was a great day.

I actually found so many uses for a Brace and 3" taper reamer, that I bought the same for my son.  He has learned that many old antique tools survived because they were and still are, the best tools for the job.  Good for you to show them that old doesn't mean useless. 

One of the Brace's virtues is that it allows a circular movement of the tool when the handle can only move is small arc segments, and sometimes you can't even get a modern drill driver in the small space against the wall.

• Like 2

On a slightly different subject, now that printed catalogs are somewhat dead in retail, I miss pouring over the Sears Christmas Wish Book each year. 

And the massive general Sears catalog. Had Sears of the 1990s the foresight of its founders and early visionaries it could have put that catalog on line and owned the internet, and Amazon would be only a river in South America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a funny encounter in my search for antique woodworking hand tools.  I was looking for a large jack plane to refurbish for use, when I contacted a guy in another state about his that was advertised on the internet.

I asked about the plane and told him I wanted one to put back to work on building high end furniture and he applauded the idea of putting it back into use.  I mentioned that I went to school with a guy with the same last name.  

We talked about where the school was, etc. and he told me that one of my school time buddies was his father!

Small world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

Who you callin' an Old Tool?  Willis!

I work with a guy who's last name is O'tool.

He worked for home depot before he came to us...for 10 years.

Our internal joke is, "We need something done.  Ask Tool."

To his credit...he gets the job done.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2019 at 12:06 PM, janice6 said:

I'm getting to the point that probably the only tool I might need would be one that could open the casket from the inside.  I seriously doubt that the mortician would bury me with my 4 Ton porta-power jack but it may have been my wisest purchase, in retrospect.  We shall see.

Nahh.... You don't need that.  Just practice this and you will be just fine...

Dave..

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Historian said:

I work with a guy who's last name is O'tool.

He worked for home depot before he came to us...for 10 years.

Our internal joke is, "We need something done.  Ask Tool."

To his credit...he gets the job done.

Geez. Nicknames are one thing, but that guy was born with one, before it became a nickname. 

• Haha 1

Old tool catalogs make me rather sad. A generation ago, mainstream consumer tool companies began to make hand tools overseas and ruined their brands. Now, even the big industrial brands have stuff that is no longer manufactured here in the US. 

Yes, Mitutoyo makes high quality stuff, but I'd rather buy Starrett. 

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, railfancwb said:

A healthy market exists for old tools and their catalogs.

http://vintagemachinery.org/

A good place to get lost in the fifties... or forties... or even earlier.

If you love old powered machines - lathes, mills, shapers...

http://www.lathes.co.uk

I do miss the "old" machinery.  When in the Research Department I used to make reasons to use the Model shop just so I could use the Bridgeport mill and the old LeBlond Lathe among the other machines.  I love working with my hands.  It was my release from the theoretical work I did during the day.  I managed to convince my director that when I designed something I had to make it too.  Those were good times.

• Like 2