Anybody like old tool catalogs?

gwalchmai

52 minutes ago, DrB said:

Gentlemen and Ladies I have to leave the table for this evening but I raise you all again with Two Vintage working Hickok 539B tube testers.  Hold them, fold them or put your meters on the table folks.

Dave..

I'll call.  I still have quite a supply of tubes tucked away in a hazardous place not conducive to the preservation of glass objects.  I recall some of my venerable "bulbs/valves" include, type 80 rectifiers, 6L6's, some 1614's (metal envelope 6L6's, , type 27, and others.  My son came over the other day with his daughter and asked for my "Nixie tubes" so they could make a clock.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

OK.  I have a 5,000 Watt Carbon Pile that I thought at one time would be good for testing power supplies.  My mainstay power supply in the basement is a 12VDC 50 Amp supply that I have been running night and day for a custom application, for almost 20 years.  (Not at 50 Amps continuously, of course) That thing is great!!!!

I forgot, for you audio buffs, I have an HP laboratory grade  rack mounted audio oscillator.  About a 20 " high front panel.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I can beat you guys in the meter department, at least gross tonnage-wise.

Say hello to the Dymec/HP 2401C Digital Voltmeter:

image-XL.jpg

19" wide x 7" tall x 18-3/8" deep; 48 lbs; measures DC voltage in 5 ranges, 0.1 to 1000V full scale, and frequency between 5Hz and 300kHz.

What's that?  You want to measure AC voltage and resistance, too?  No problem!  Just add the HP 2410B AC/Ohms Converter:

Box%202.01%20-%20instruments%20to%20be%2

19 x 7 x 17-1/4 and a svelte 43 lbs, it pairs with the 2401C and expands its repertoire to include AC voltage from 50Hz to 100kHz in the same five ranges from 0.1V to 1kV full scale.  It also adds six resistance ranges from 100 ohms to 10 Mohms full scale.  (I need to build some interface boards to get them to play together; it's a project that's been on the back burner for a while now...)

(More photos of the innards of the 2401C are located here: HP/Dymec 2401C DVM images)

I'm honestly surprised that my house has not yet collapsed.

-Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive way to "scratch the itch", you can buy reprints of old Sears catalogs on Amazon.
Some are full reprints; some are condensed verisions, but with a little browsing for terms like "vintage sears catalogs" or "1909 sears catalog book",  you can find ones like this, for only a few dollars:
https://www.amazon.com/Sears-Roebuck-Co-Incorporated-Catalog/dp/B000WMN882

Amazing the range of products Sears sold over the years. Tombstones was a surprise to me.

Haven’t yet found a Thompson submachine gun offered in their pages, but would not surprise me to see them in pre-NFA catalogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tous said:

<--- still has boxes of punch cards

I remember walking across campus and seeing someone with a box of them under their arm fresh from the keypunch room.  A quick tip on the back of the box sent them flying...  I kept mine under close guard....

Dave..

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, janice6 said:

My son came over the other day with his daughter and asked for my "Nixie tubes" so they could make a clock.

Did that years ago.  The clock is long gone though. Strange how a woman can make a man's things disappear. She has disappeared also.    I still have some Nixie tubes around here somewhere.

Dave...

Edited by DrB
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

(I need to build some interface boards to get them to play together; it's a project that's been on the back burner for a while now...) 

Speaking of projects I have a couple of Nakamichi T-100 test sets here that I want to make one good one from.  They were the Audiophile test sets of the early 80's.  I used one every day.  Some day when I retire it's a project that waits.

Dave.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

One of the catalogs which seems to command good money on eBay is McMaster-Carr

HUH!  It doesn't seem too long ago that I ordered from them...…………… Time dilation of age I guess.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
HUH!  It doesn't seem too long ago that I ordered from them...…………… Time dilation of age I guess.

So far as I know, McMaster-Carr is still in business. Their catalogs have become collectibles because of size, content, and limited distribution.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

So far as I know, McMaster-Carr is still in business. Their catalogs have become collectibles because of size, content, and limited distribution.

Yup.  They're definitely still around.  I just got some storage boxes for my extender cards, and rubber isolation mounts for an old digital meter I'm repairing from them yesterday.

-Pat

On 7/8/2019 at 9:39 PM, janice6 said:

I used to browse the Graingers and Edmunds Scientific catalogues more than the Sears Christmas book.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, tous said:

I used to browse the Graingers and Edmunds Scientific catalogues more than the Sears Christmas book.

I have made rush trips to our local Graingers and spent untold company money there.  Hell of a company.

Edmonds was more of a personal vendor for me, IR Filters and lensing stuff for my more clandestine accomplishments.

• Like 2

Off topic, but when I was a kid I would pour over an old Stoeger catalog that my dad had. I remember all the Lugers in it. I was particularly taken by one picture in it (not a photo) of a flannel-clad guy sitting on a log by a campfire in front of a log cabin by a lake, canoe pulled up on shore. Remember that, even if the catalog had been brand new when I was a kid, it would be antique now. ;)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OldDad said:

Off topic, but when I was a kid I would pour over an old Stoeger catalog that my dad had. I remember all the Lugers in it. I was particularly taken by one picture in it (not a photo) of a flannel-clad guy sitting on a log by a campfire in front of a log cabin by a lake, canoe pulled up on shore. Remember that, even if the catalog had been brand new when I was a kid, it would be antique now. ;)

So, like me, you probably spent a few winter afternoons browsing the Herter's catalogue, then?

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tous said:

So, like me, you probably spent a few winter afternoons browsing the Herter's catalogue, then?

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

I don't remember that, though we might have had one. I had that Stoegers catalog for years and years. I wish I had it now, if for no other reason than to see that log cabin picture that fired my imagination. That picture probably reinforced other things that formed the trajectory of my interests and life.

• Like 3