Memorial Day Plans

Cougar_ml

So every year the church I used to go to does a memorial day breakfast get together thing.  It's pretty much the only church related function I go to these days.  Pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, and a short flag ceremony and talk about honoring those who served and gave their lives.

In the past it was always at a member's house, but he passed away last year, so this year it's at a campground about 20 minutes further away.  Still going to go, take my son and his cousins, but not quite as convenient (it used to be less than 10 minutes drive)

As usual, I expect I'll end up cooking something.  Used to be bacon on an old flat top griddle over the fire, the bacon got cooked there because it was always way too hot for anything else (except maybe scrambled eggs I suppose).  End up eating my fill long before it's actually time to serve the food.  Always end up smelling like smoke and bacon by the end of it.  

Anyway, anyone else have a yearly tradition they do for memorial day?

• Like 2

Back when my Dad was still alive we'd celebrate his birthday on Memorial Day. When he passed we just had family picnic style dinners. I marched in parades every Memorial Day until a few years ago. Now we're celebrating our daughter's birthday on Memorial day instead of her actual birthday that was on a week day last week. We always remember what this Holiday is about. tom. :patriot:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sitting here thinking about My Dad, his twin brother and their older brother who all signed up with the USN day after they hear the news of Pearl.  They are all gone now...  I will go look at my dad's flag that was presented to me at his funeral little later.

Nothing much besides that..

Dave..

• Like 4

Working today.  Worked ~70 hours last week (friday and today are company holidays).

Enough extra cash to buy a motorcycle.

But I don't need another motorcycle.

But when it comes to motorcycles,  "need" is never part of the equation.

I'm positive that Dad and my uncles would have rather seen me work my ass off on this holiday,  than drink and socialize.

• Like 1

Well, I was supposed to put up 100' of fencing... but while I was watering the veggies in the hoop house, I heard the pitch and volume of the beehive next to it go up significantly, so I went to look... and they were throwing a swarm... 30' up in the nearby cherry tree, too high for me to do anything except move a swarm trap under it and hope.  But while I did that, they moved... to 4' off the ground in a nearby pear tree.  So I dragged an empty-of-bees but half-full of half-built comb deep box over to the tree,  put on my bee suit, cut off the branch, put the bees on the branch in the box, put a truly empty deep on top until they crawl off the branch and into/onto the comb... later this eve I"ll take away that empty, add the other half of the half-built comb frames to box with the bees, move the box to wherever I decide they should live, and call it a day.  

I was going to go see John Wick 3, but I think I'm postponing that til Wednesday, because I still have to put up the fence.  (I just came inside to get a drink and of course got distracted typing this up!)

This would be one of the days I wish I lived in the same state as some of my family... but the nearest live 4 hours away and I'll be seeing them in less than two weeks...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1