When Buildings Had Style

Moshe

I’m already hearing about bringing Notre Dame into the more modern era when its rebuilt.

I just watched a historian that said after the French Revolution the Cathedral wasn’t “restored” but “reinterpreted”

Edited by Dric902
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I’m already hearing about bringing Notre Dame into the more modern era when its rebuilt.

I hope not.  I hope it goes back to as original as possible.  I realize you cannot replace painting and other things.  Those are one of a kind.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I hope not.  I hope it goes back to as original as possible.  I realize you cannot replace painting and other things.  Those are one of a kind.

Macron is saying that it will be “more beautiful” than before.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Macron is saying that it will be “more beautiful” than before.

That's pretty subjective.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Beauty 800 years ago isn't the same as beauty by modern standards.  I know they can't literally restore it,  But I don't believe they should "modernize" the appearance.  We'll see.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

That's pretty subjective.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Beauty 800 years ago isn't the same as beauty by modern standards.  I know they can't literally restore it,  But I don't believe they should "modernize" the appearance.  We'll see.

I was watching a historian today explain that after the French Revolution the man in charge of the rebuilding didn’t “restore” it but “reinterpreted” it.

maybe I’m expecting the worst, but they seem to be setting it up for a “global site” approach.

”gotta get rid of the crucifix, it’s a symbol of torture”

“all those children in the sculpture are nearly naked, that’s pediphilic”

”we should strive to be more inclusive”

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dric902 said:

I was watching a historian today explain that after the French Revolution the man in charge of the rebuilding didn’t “restore” it but “reinterpreted” it.

maybe I’m expecting the worst, but they seem to be setting it up for a “global site” approach.

”gotta get rid of the crucifix, it’s a symbol of torture”

“all those children in the sculpture are nearly naked, that’s pediphilic”

”we should strive to be more inclusive”

This is what I'm afraid of.  The structure isn't as much as a church anymore, as it is a testament to the skilled craftsman doing meticulous work with hand tools in wood, plaster, stone.  Their skill was worth the admiration.  It's like a Michael Angelo or a da Vinci work.

• Like 2

i`ve always been a fan of architecture and design but i went to Monticello when i was younger and that place sealed the deal for me.

Jefferson was as incredible an architect as he was everything else,there's so much to Monticello its hard to take it all in and the house looks so much smaller than it actually is.

the floor to ceiling triple hung windows were,i think brilliant in Virginia`s swampy summers.

President Thomas Jefferson`s Monticello

monticello.jpg.10889d1872b97cd8517e29bc4dca4598.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1