I'm sorry.

Hannie Caulder

1 minute ago, kerbie18 said:

I'm still having nightmares from the last surgery pics you posted. I hope it goes as smoothly as possible.

When last surgeon told me I was gonna have to see the neuros down at the university and it was "probably gonna be a 4 level", my response was succinct, pithy, and very to the point:  "**** that, I'm gonna hold off until I can't stand it any more."

He understood, and yes I was able to use that kind of language around him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Spagttification of course

and the cat is dead at some point

It's spaghettification, the phenomena of matter being stretched vertically and compress horizontally in the presence of strong, non-homogenous gravitational field.

NB non-homogenous indicates that there is no center of gravity, a point in the field where there is no torque about that point as we find in more mundane fields and forces.

Until someone is able to measure it, spaghtiffication is just a hypothesis, though we can replicate the effect a tiny bit in  a lab with light gases and also observe the effect in interstellar space.

The cat is neither dead nor alive until you open the box.

Edited by tous
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I apologize, ric.

I didn't mean to sound like a scolding school teacher.

My enthusiasm for the subject overcame my good manners.

bish, the largest weakness most folk encounter with the sciences is not the concept, but the nomenclature.

Science guys use funny, unfamiliar words -- a lot.

Understand the terms and you are 80% of the way toward understanding the concepts.

Science is the most fun  you can have with your pants on.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dric902 said:

and the cat is dead at some point.

Sometimes you think that.  But they keep coming back.

Long ago, in a galaxy far far away,  I worked at a Firestone.  The owner was a doofus and we didn't really like him,  but he gave us jobs.

There was a cat that started hanging around.  The owner hated the cat because it would leave prints all over his car every day.  We'd feed the cat.

At the end of one day,  the owner started his car and it made a horrible noise.  Being that we were expert mechanics,  we soon found that the cat was all wound and disemboweled in all the pulleys and fan belts.  But it was still alive.

So Jerry (we'll just call him Jerry),  tried to get the cat out but it was psycho.  It clawed and chewed him up bad.

We loved it.

He went into the shop,  got a huge wrench and beat the cat for five minutes,  while we were laughing our asses off,  until it was dead.  He got it out and threw it over the hill with extreme prejudice.

The next morning,  we found the cat sitting on the front doormat,  grooming itself.

It was pretty beat up,  but seemed to get around ok.

Jerry hated that cat for a long, long time.

And then whenever he came into the shop,  we'd address him as Cat Killer.

We didn't really like him.

1 hour ago, tous said:

It's spaghettification, the phenomena of matter being stretched vertically and compress horizontally in the presence of strong, non-homogenous gravitational field.

NB non-homogenous indicates that there is no center of gravity, a point in the field where there is no torque about that point as we find in more mundane fields and forces.

Until someone is able to measure it, spaghtiffication is just a hypothesis, though we can replicate the effect a tiny bit in  a lab with light gases and also observe the effect in interstellar space.

The cat is neither dead nor alive until you open the box.

So to me glancing over this it looks like someone talking about spaghetti, milk, and gas, then someone not getting mad because it's boring.  

Oh, and animal cruelty.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

Why not string theory?  And I thought this was Hanny's epitaph. 

But, spaghettification; that's black hole stuff.  Not volunteering for the test.

String Theory is old news

M Theory https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

or the exceptionally simple theory of everything https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Exceptionally_Simple_Theory_of_Everything

9 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

But, spaghettification; that's black hole stuff.  Not volunteering for the test.

You can volunteer.

G'head.

There is no way to get you there, so you're safe from being vertically stretched and horizontally compressed on approach.

:biggrin:

Edited by tous

4 hours ago, UnifiedFieldTheory said:

Well, as much fun as it was to write about myself in the third person, I have to respond to PNWGuy/vart's comment about being a manhater/libtard.  It's always easier to take a swing at someone when you think they don't know about it, eh vart?

People on GT started pissing me off WELL before I made the trek across the country.  Just because I wasn't sycophantically and sympathetically echoing soothing words at you when you whined about your mostly self-inflicted problems doesn't mean I hate men and turned blue overnight.  It meant that I grew up and realized there was a lot of bull**** I echoed back because I wanted to be seen as a Cool Girl™ who was above all that "laydee stuff" and I became disinterested in that when I took my long hiatus from GT.

And moeman, I never did find out what happened, but it wasn't for lack of interest that I stopped PMing.  The message board arbitrarily decided I could no longer send you PMs and that was that (I think I even asked you about it in open threads a few times).  I am still very concerned about you.

For those of you who are clutching your pearls mistakenly thinking I "followed" you here after my banning on the other board....I was actually a founding member on TBS under the moniker Schrödinger's Cat.  However, the board software permitted me a few logins and then decided the special character Ö was no longer acceptable, hence the new moniker.

In case you don't think it's me, it most assuredly is...SORRY TO ****ING DISAPPOINT YOU

IMG_5605.thumb.jpg.1e3cb6d4a414bfdd6cedfaa7abf3d5ed.jpg

Dammmnnnnn! **** just got real. Good to see ya here, Kat. Carry on.

• Like 1

• Eric locked this topic